Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Here's my situation: I have an account in the republic of ireland that contains money that I want to have access here in the US (pay off that car, down-payment on that house).

[On a side note, the funds are in Irish sterling, and would have to be converted over to Irish punts, then sent to the US where it would be converted to dollars. I think.]

My question:

What are the tax implications of doing this? And, of course, how can I legally minimize any taxes?

Thanks as always,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.