No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Fools!

I've never been on this board but usually lurk on the Credit Cards/Debt board.

Anyway, I'm a working adult and have been pursuing my Bachelor's in Marketing for the last 3 years. I'll graduate from my local community college with my A.A. degree and had intended to transfer to my local state university, Florida Atlantic University.

However, I'm strongly considering NOT attending FAU. My mother as well as my sisters have dgerees from FAU and Mom is still enrolled as she completes her 5th year work so she can sit for the CPA exam and then pursues her Masters degree in accounting.

My family has told me that FAU is very hard to get along with and makes things very difficult for it's students. In particular, WHERE they make critical classes available is not at all convenient to their students.

When I first spoke with an admissions advisor at FAU at the beginning of the year, she assured me that most of my classes would be held at the campus closest to me which is Jupiter, FL. Their main campus is in Boca Raton, FL, which is more than an hour away from me.

Now, Mom just told me that one of her professors just informed her that the Jupiter campus will be reserved for science classes ONLY! The Scripps Research Institute has settled in Jupiter and is apparently working with FAU in some capacity, hence why FAU will no longer be having classes for other schools (business, etc.) in the college.

This ROYALLY ticks me off. Mom has consistently gotten poor service and the run around from the school and my sisters also acknowledged hassles from them.

(Also, there was a scandal a while back about a president, vice president, or some other hotshot at FAU who left the school and received some huge, ungodly sum of money in a severance package. Of course, now the school is cutting back their offerings due to lack of funds. :-()

Anyway, I'm thinking this is more than I want to deal with and that I don't really want to attend FAU. I graduate from Palm Beach Community College this spring and need to choose a school to complete my Bachelor's in Marketing. Because I work full-time, I'd prefer to go to an online school.

I'm particularly concerned about attending a school which is regionally accredited and has a good reputation among employers. (I already hold an A.A. degree from a small Bible college which wasn't properly accredited and had to start all over years later. So I'm especially gun-shy when it comes to choosing the right school.)

I know the Univeristy of Phoenix Online is a major player in the online degree field, but I'm not too sure about their reputation among employers.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Michelle
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement