Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: biscuitburner One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7313  
Subject: need your thoughts Date: 10/19/2003 9:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I stitched together the crocheted granny squares from my friend, then crocheted a simple border around the whole thing to make a baby blanket.
I was showing it off, and a friend said maybe it should have been made of baby yarn, so it would be softer and more suitable for a baby.
So, please give me your input. Is this one made with regular yarn OK to give as a gift for a baby?
Thanks!
New at all this, Biscuitburner
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1761 of 7313
Subject: Re: need your thoughts Date: 10/19/2003 10:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What size yarn is it made from? Baby yarn is very small and is used more for little garment. I knitted my 3 grandbabies their blankies from a wool/acrylic mix that was near worsted wight (I forget what that size is called now). I used a lacy Fan and Feather pattern and they are very soft and washable too.

The oldest child was so attached to hers it finally wound up being just a ball of string. I had to make her a second one which she still sleeps with (she's almost 10 now).

Granny squares would be heavier and stiffer than what I did unless they're very lacy, but I think you can use your judgment as to how it feels.

Carol

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1762 of 7313
Subject: Re: need your thoughts Date: 10/19/2003 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 10
I stitched together the crocheted granny squares from my friend, then crocheted a simple border around the whole thing to make a baby blanket.
I was showing it off, and a friend said maybe it should have been made of baby yarn, so it would be softer and more suitable for a baby.
So, please give me your input. Is this one made with regular yarn OK to give as a gift for a baby?
Thanks!
New at all this, Biscuitburner

If you REALLY want to give the gift the kid could need, use 24k gold thread in it. If you can't do that, I'm sure Mom and baby will be quite happy with the blanket (and your friend needs prctice in manners).

Author: biscuitburner One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1763 of 7313
Subject: Re: need your thoughts Date: 10/20/2003 7:00 PM
If you REALLY want to give the gift the kid could need, use 24k gold thread in it. If you can't do that, I'm sure Mom and baby will be quite happy with the blanket (and your friend needs prctice in manners).

Yeah, my friends tend to be blunt, low on the tact factor!
And if I had 24K gold thread, I would be crocheting on a cruise ship! (sigh)
Gonna get more opinions this week, but I really think it will be OK.
Thanks for the help!

Now on to the cross stitch project!

Biscuitburner

Author: sharonl74 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1764 of 7313
Subject: Re: need your thoughts Date: 10/20/2003 8:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Actually, regular weight yarn is just fine for a baby blanket!!

Baby weight yarn will not hold up as well to all the dragging, yanking, spitting up and subsequent washing.

Baby weight is for baby clothes....

JMHO

sharon

Author: biscuitburner One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1765 of 7313
Subject: Re: need your thoughts Date: 10/20/2003 10:11 PM
Baby weight is for baby clothes....

Thanks sharon!
I'm feeling lots better about giving this blanket!

Biscuitburner

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement