Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Two questions:

#1. In 1998 my income for federal taxes was $1053. I contributed $2000 into a traditional IRA. The person preparing my taxes put this as a deduction bringing my AGI to -$947. I converted the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA this year and am now paying taxes on a little over $6000 (three years contributions of $2000). It doesn't seem correct that I should have to pay taxes on the $947 that didn't act to set off any income in 1998. Someone mentioned that I might need to file Form 1045. This loss was not business related (if that matters). This is the first year I have prepared my own taxes and this nuance is driving me crazy. Would someone please help to put my brain at ease.

#2. Regarding estimated taxes. I have about $30000 in capital gains for the first quarter of 2000. However, my last year total tax liability was about $1231. Can I simply divide 1231 by 4 and send this amount each quarter as my estimate taxes and make up the difference on April 15, 2001? (Since the safe harbor rule states that if you pay 90% of last year's tax liability you do not get penalized) Better yet, can I wait and pay $1231 in the third or fourth quarter? (probably not but just checking)

Thank you
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.