No. of Recommendations: 0
Nelsonpc wrote:

<<Here's a tidbit of information that I got off a message board from

"...You do not need to report your regular Roth contributions on the Form 8606. The financial organization where you open your Roth will notify the IRS of your contribution by way of a Form 5498. However, it is still the IRA holder's responsibility to keep track of contributions and conversions so KEEP YOUR STATEMENTS AND PAPERWORK!!!!!"

I hope this helps. I guess all the Roth IRA contribution reporting is in the hands of your financial institution. I hope they don't make any mistakes! My questions are these:

1) When is this Form 5498 sent to the IRS?

2) I have a Roth IRA set up with Vanguard. My account shows my original 1998 Roth IRA $2K contribution, but there is no evidence that taxes have been deducted. When will this tax deduction take place?>>

Thanks for the input. The Form 5498 will be sent to the IRS at the same time as the 1099, in February of each year I believe. As to your "tax deduction" question, I'm not sure what you mean. Your initial contribution to the Roth was taxed before it was made, and all earnings accumulate tax deferred and ultimately come out tax-free. What tax deduction or withholding are you expecting?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.