UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jenwoz One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189515  
Subject: Netscape crashing....help! Date: 9/8/1999 12:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is somewhat related to the other message of "ads crash my browser."

I have Netscape 3.0 and was wondering if anyone else has had problems with it crashing when you try to read your email. Is there a problem with Netscape? A problem with its mail program?

I finally got far enough into it to realize there is an email message from someone we don't know and it is dated 8-15-00, yes as in 2000. We scroll down to that message and the computer crashes.

Is Netscape not Y2K compliant? Is this an email virus? Or is my computer not compliant? (I thought it was.)

Any ideas?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1275 of 189515
Subject: Re: Netscape crashing....help! Date: 9/8/1999 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have Netscape 3.0 and was wondering if anyone else has had problems with it crashing when you try to read your email. Is there a problem with Netscape? A problem with its mail program?

I finally got far enough into it to realize there is an email message from someone we don't know and it is dated 8-15-00, yes as in 2000. We scroll down to that message and the computer crashes.

Is Netscape not Y2K compliant? Is this an email virus? Or is my computer not compliant? (I thought it was.)

Any ideas?

I think you should go to http://help.netscape.com/ and look for support for your version of Netscape. Netscape provides some secure newsgroups (such as snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.navigator and snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.communicator for Windows users), but I'm not sure if these are the correct places to go for your version.

I know I have heard people describe problems like yours, and there was advice on how to solve it. It can also depend on your ISP -- mine is AT&T WorldNet, and they provide their own newsgroups to support the 2 major browser types. Your mileage my vary...

Ron

Author: StockStalker Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1303 of 189515
Subject: Re: Netscape crashing....help! Date: 9/10/1999 1:00 AM
I don't know if Netscape 3.0 is Y2K compliant or not (perhaps not, because it's rather old software). However, Y2K problems can have MANY causes. The most common problem you'll encounter is an old computer with a BIOS that isn't Y2K compliant.

I don't know about Netscape, but most application programs read dates from the internal system BIOS (hardware) passed through the operating system (software). That means that both your computer's BIOS and operating system need to be fully Y2K compliant. To the best of my knowledge, all Intel and AMD chips that are currently on the market are Y2K compliant (and have been for at least a year). The same is true of Windows 95 and 98.

The fly in the ointment could be your Netscape 3.0 browser (which is not Java-enabled) and your operating system. If you're still using the detested Windows 3.1, you should upgrade to Windows 98, Version 2 (Microsoft finally got it right). Then upgrade your browser to Netscape 4.61.

If your present computer chokes on these upgrades that will keep you up to speed with the rapidly changing technology, go the http://www.dell.com and buy a new computer <GRIN>.

Hope this helps

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement