UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DWMar One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49  
Subject: Never ever do these two thing Date: 6/13/2008 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I joined TMF, I read the website, newsletters, and message boards like I should have been doing my job. And yet, I have made mistakes that I am still recovering from today. I don’t blame the content, it’s just that my retention was highly selective. So, learn from my mistakes and don’t ever do these two things.

1) Don't Price Anchor: If a company sells for $120 one day and $75 a month later, is it a "value"? No! At least not because of the stock price - the historical stock prices should have little if any impact in your decision to invest. Train yourself to look at market cap, revenue, net income, profit margins, management, future prospects, and on and on. “Falling Knives” are extremely tempting because of price anchoring. You start telling yourself, when it comes back, I’ll have a double! Whoa, when a stock plunges there is usually a good reason for it. Wall Street and Mr. Market are highly criticized on fool.com, however, don’t become arrogant and start thinking that everybody else out there is an idiot. Often when a stock falls, there is a good reason for it and caution is always required. In my opinion, the market does overreact on the high and low side, but it is still often right. Focus on the business, not the price. This will allow you to pick out the companies that continue to perform AND drop in price…

2) There is no sure thing: I don't care how many times Tom or Dave have recommended a stock or how many people on the message boards are screaming how cheap it is, always read and evaluate critically. Never become obsessed with a stock – there are always great ideas out there, don’t risk your money on just a couple. FMD was picked in two TMF newsletters, had a huge message board following, and was worshiped by one of the most respected bank analysts out there (Tom Brown). FMD was in my mind a sure thing and I got dizzy with how much my investment was going to grow, giddy to add more shares when I got new funds…but nobody could have predicted what has happened in the financial markets and FMD is down 90%. There is no sure thing – it is always a mistake to invest without acknowledging uncertainty.

I’d love to hear about any other lessons learned about investing in stocks, personal finance, starting a business, career, etc. I think that could be a real value of this board…if we are all getting started, figuring things out, and making mistakes, we can learn from those who have already committed them. And, unlike advice from those retired folks on the other boards, I’d actually follow advice from fellow young professionals :)

Dan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement