No. of Recommendations: 1
Never mind, Rayvt, I figured out the COLA thing. So to bottom line basic ideas:

At a 6% interest rate and 2.5% COLA to SS, it's best to take:

at age 62 if you plan to die by age 83
at age 70 if you plan to live past 88
at age 66 if you plan to die between 83 and 88

Those are pushed out quite a bit if you assume a higher interest rate instead of 6%, or something smaller than 2.5% for the COLA.

I couldn't match Rayvt's numbers exactly, but even if they aren't exact, the story holds true. At any rate, I'd say that this statement is false: "If you don't need Social Security at all, take it at age 62."

It's not simple math at all. It depends very much on how long you'll live and what interest rate you'll achieve.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement