Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 156927  
Subject: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 1:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://techpinions.com/windows-8-microsoft-is-betting-the-co...

In a nutshell, Microsoft's leadership understands that getting into mobile now is their biggest and possibly last hope of being something other than the king of an empire in decline.

This is why Microsoft is putting nearly 2 billion into promoting Windows 8 and another 1.5 billion into MS Surface inventory. It is also why they invested over a $1 billion in Nokia 'platform payments', and $300 million in Barnes and Noble.

Make no mistake, Microsoft needs Windows 8 to be successful and they need it to be successful *soon*. Microsoft's management knows this, which is why they are putting so much on the line here.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155975 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 2:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This Windows RT is going to cause a lot of confusion in the market you wait and see, this is a big risk, the X86 version is 6 months away

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155976 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 3:43 AM
I completely agree, the vast majority of people have no idea what exactly is being released.

As I understand it, this week the following will be available:
* Windows 8
* Third party Windows 8 Systems
* Windows 8 RT
* Surface RT
* Third party Windows RT systems
* Windows Phone 8

The obvious missing link here is the Surface "Pro" tablet.

I can see a lot of people seeing the Surface adverts and going to the store and buying a Surface RT tablet only to discover they can't run 'Windows' applications on it.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155977 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 10:07 AM
Extremely well-written view, and many of the comments were good as well. This will be a long-term thing. It took quite awhile for Apple to become what they are, and are still not included in many of the devices or enterprise areas that Windows is.

People forget, or are just not exposed to, the many facets of the Windows world. Server products are the key to enterprise, and Apple is simply not a large part of it. Microsoft has the server products that tie enterprise into Windows, Apple has very little to almost none. That's what keeps this mediocre beast humming. I might add that some of the Microsoft enterprise products are top notch.

I think the biggest sea-change in computing has been at the consumer level. Not just tablets and phones, but the realization that consumers don't necessarily need to have anything Windows at home, and even in the small business. It's just not important for most people now, they have a real choice.

Windows 8 poses a huge obstacle for those that always had Windows just because. Sure, many will try to plod through it, and will still be attracted to low prices on cheap boxes. But I think tens of millions more will get into the Apple world via tablets. I don't expect W8 to have any positive short-term return for Microsoft. I also think they will have to have a Plan B fix for the millions that feel their desktop experience in W8 sucks, and the lack of quality trackpads on notebooks won't make their lives any easier.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155978 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 3
Extremely well-written view

I found it pretty elementary. This one is rich in specifics:

http://www.drdobbs.com/windows/windows-8-the-most-confused-o...

Windows 8: The Most Confused OS Launch Ever

On Friday, Microsoft will release Windows 8, the completely revamped version of its flagship operating system. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of this product to the company. It has been in development for several years as the vehicle that will carry the Redmond giant into the post-PC era. ...

Even though the official release of Windows 8 occurs later this week, the company released its Surface tablet last week with something other than Windows 8 on it. It was running Windows RT, which is the stripped-down ARM version of Windows 8. Consumers are rightly flummoxed by this bifurcation of brands. It gets worse: The tablets are technically running a Windows RT tablet with the Windows 8 look and feel — but not running Windows 8, nor will they ever be able to. If you want the Windows 8 UI to actually run on Windows 8, instead of Windows RT, you have to wait for the next round of Surface tablets several months hence. A consumer is going to understand this?

If my observation that Windows RT is the ARM version of the OS sounds odd, it might be because you're thinking of WinRT, which is an entirely different thing.
That is the core API to which developers need to program to get the unique benefits of Windows 8. It runs on both x86 and ARM. WinRT and Windows RT — not the tight branding quality we're used to, are they?

I'll leave off discussion of the Nokia Lumia phones that run the Windows 8 UI today on Windows Phone 7.5. However, those phones can't be upgraded to Windows Phone 8. Phone buyers will surely not view their existing "Windows 8 UI" phones with much love after being told that.

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155979 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 2:31 PM
Windows 8: The Most Confused OS Launch Ever

Just reading the excerpt made my head spin.

dsbrady

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155983 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 6:09 PM
I like (agree with) this one (thought admittedly Sylvie is a friend):

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/other/4399088/Scrat...

She wrote "we potential consumers still have no clear sense on the realities of legacy applications compatibility. Microsoft has avoided the question like the plague and has consistently spoken out of both sides of its mouth sine its BUILD conference last September."

Exactly!
B

Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155984 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/23/2012 6:57 PM
Recommendations: 4
Another view on the topic:

Salesforce.com's Benioff: Windows 8 Is the End of the Road
http://www.eweek.com/cloud/salesforce.coms-benioff-windows-8...

Basically saying that we're at a tipping point of whether to continue with the Windows-driven approach or start a BYOD approach allowing each user in the enterprise to work what what suits them best. Where many users may opt for a solution other than Microsoft's.

In a press conference following his keynote at the Cloudforce 2012 event here on Oct. 19, Benioff said he has heard from CIOs who have said they do not plan to move to Windows 8, with one unnamed CIO stating that Windows is the largest point of security concern in her system. And rather than commit to a move to Windows 8, this CIO said she is intent on moving to a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) strategy and allowing users in her company to access enterprise systems using the devices and platforms they prefer.

“The big catalyst of the next shift in the enterprise is Windows 8,” Benioff said. “People are asking do I go to Windows 8 or not,” he added, calling the situation a “gambit.” However, he said, “This was not the case with Windows 7. You heard about the Windows 7 upgrade cycle; you’re not going to hear about the Windows 8 upgrade cycle. This is the end of Windows.”

During his keynote, Benioff described various eras of computing, from the mainframe era in the 1960s to minicomputing in the ’70s, to client servers in the ’80s, cloud computing in the ’90s, mobile computing in the 2000s and social computing in the 2010s.

Benioff said you can go to any AT&T store and find any number of devices you can use in BYOD environments, such as iPhones, iPads, and Android phones and tablets, among other things. “You didn’t have this kind of choice 48 months ago,” he said.

Meanwhile, also helping to spur the shift in the enterprise is a changing of the guard, Benioff said.

“The next generation of leaders has come up, and the last generation is going out,” Benioff said. “A lot of the people who made that Oracle or Microsoft [purchase] decision are no longer there. The new people in there are modern, up-to-date, and they have a new brand preference. How they view technology is different.”

Author: TheCrusader Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155985 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/24/2012 4:43 AM
Recommendations: 1
The next question is where is the upside revenue wise for MS as a consequence of Windows 8.

Simply put the PC market is about 1 million units a day and MS are on 90% of them, Windows 8 will expand that into tablets and smartphones, which IIRC is about 600m units.

Now there will be subsititution between tablets and PCs but lets not get to complicated, there is upside on both the hardware and software side as Win 8 goes into other markets... provided its a success.

Anyway I would rather than wait and see as opposed to doing some complicated analytical review on it all that will most probably be wrong.. I will leave that to Gartner.

If I were MS what I would be developing is Enterprise Software that supports Win 8, in particular a corporate app store, this enables the IT departments to control and manage the device and they really like that. MS would be foolish not to leverage their position in the Enterprise.

I mention this as I have seen a great failing when enterprises have rolled out iPads, users were left to their own devices to get the apps and who is paying for these apps on a work iPad? And there were no corporate licensing deals or line of business apps available.

Regardless overall point is that MS need enterprise s/ware to assist in business take up. Then again all this s/ware exists for Windows already so maybe its not an issue.

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155986 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/24/2012 11:47 AM
I mention this as I have seen a great failing when enterprises have rolled out iPads, users were left to their own devices to get the apps and who is paying for these apps on a work iPad? And there were no corporate licensing deals or line of business apps available.

Well, that's pretty much wrong. Apple has a "Developer Enterprise Program" that allows companies to build apps for iOS that then get distributed in-house only. So, companies can provide apps for their employees. As for getting other non-corporate apps, for the ones that actually cost money, the worst case scenario would be employees submitting reimbursement requests for the apps they need that they had to pay for.

dsbrady

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155987 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/24/2012 12:03 PM
Well, that's pretty much wrong. Apple has a "Developer Enterprise Program" that allows companies to build apps for iOS that then get distributed in-house only. So, companies can provide apps for their employees. As for getting other non-corporate apps, for the ones that actually cost money, the worst case scenario would be employees submitting reimbursement requests for the apps they need that they had to pay for.

dsbrady

Very true, IOS is a high priority within corporations today. Contrasting with Microsoft's very confusing array of W8 lack of products.

I think the Surface will sell poorly, and even worse, if consumers study up just a tiny bit on the products.

http://news.yahoo.com/beautiful-microsoft-tablet-let-down-so...

Once again, Apple has planted a seed that grew mightily. Microsoft plants their seeds in the form of media perception, and even that isn't going all that well. In review after review, the Surface fails. Priced at $499 with a sluggish OS that runs practically nothing will be a major deterrent. Everyone has been presented the wonderful cover and keyboard, which would add $129 to the price for the base model. No data plan available, WI FI only.

So now you'd be at $628 for a base WIFI tablet with a sluggish OS. I can't wait to see how much the Intel version will be, complete with heat sinks.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155988 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/24/2012 1:26 PM
I was just thinking, remember there were some here touting that advantages of buying MSFT? How's that PE thingie working out?

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155989 of 156927
Subject: Re: New Beginning or the Beginning of the End Date: 10/24/2012 7:23 PM
googling iPad Enterprise reveals...

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/

iOS Enterprise Deployment Resources
How to integrate iOS devices with your enterprise systems, including mail, calendaring and VPN. How to create and distribute custom configuration profiles and applications.

Plus much more.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement