UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62043  
Subject: New Bicycles Date: 11/20/2012 4:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
SGSpouse and I went out a few days ago and bought new bicycles. WoooHooo. I feel like a kid at Christmas. These aren't your multi-gear, alloy frame bikes. They are cheap, single speed, pedal brake, heavy steel frame clunkers with baskets and a cup holder and a rear carrying platform. . . everything but a bell or horn.

SGSpouse blew all the cartiledge out of her knees a few years ago so had to stop walking with me every day. And my doctor told me I need to stop running because at my age the jarring impact of running is more likely to do harm than good. So . . . this is our solution. We've been riding our throw-back bicycles along the canal and around the neighborhood every day.

We live in a neighborhood where grocery stores, drug stores and assorted small businesses are all within about a mile. We sometimes walk to do errands, but you have to be careful not to buy more than you can comfortably carry back. I've already started calculating how much stuff I can load in our bikes.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46303 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/20/2012 5:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Bikes are awesome.
What kind did you get? Do you have a link.
I have an old GT Zaskar I've been banging the heck out of for the last 15 years. Great bike.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/500/medium/Zaskar-kpl.jpg

I've modified it over the years to be a lot more comfortable and a lot less hard core. Higher handle bars. Better seat. No more toe clip pedals, but I might go back. It has 3 gears in front and 7 in the back with shimano indexed shifters and V-brakes. Amazingly durable.

I too am to old for the running. Bikes are a great solution. You see more country and you can really work out hard. I have a 40 to 50 mile loop I can do from my house and I'm only on a street for 100 yards.

V

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46307 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/20/2012 10:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
<< These aren't your multi-gear, alloy frame bikes. They are cheap, single speed, pedal brake, heavy steel frame clunkers with baskets and a cup holder and a rear carrying platform. . . everything but a bell or horn. >>

Well, you have 1890s technology. Personally, I think that's kind of a shame --- modern bicycles are really marvels.

But if simplicity suits you, perhaps that's a good choice.

The issue you are likely to face is that if you bicycle regularly, you will soon get in better shape and be more confident of your cycling skills. You will be ready to do more but be limited by your bicycle.

I enjoy cycling, and I hope to hear more about your cycling in the weeks to come.

Waving an olive branch,

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46308 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/20/2012 10:53 PM
SG,

Just make sure that the spouse's bike isn't the "standard Women's bike". Try riding hers, just to check the ease of use, compared to yours.

I learned my lesson about 40+ years ago. The design of "Women's bikes" lagged Men's by a lot. I found that Men's bikes were a lot more efficient, way back then, and have always tried riding both the Men's, as well as the Women's models, before purchasing.

PM

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46309 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 1:09 AM
Well, you have 1890s technology.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about that. This is 1960's technology at best.

Personally, I think that's kind of a shame --- modern bicycles are really marvels.

Mehhh.

But if simplicity suits you, perhaps that's a good choice.

Ruggedness suits me. Simplicity is appreciated.

The issue you are likely to face is that if you bicycle regularly, you will soon get in better shape and be more confident of your cycling skills. You will be ready to do more but be limited by your bicycle.

Not likely. It's not like I've never owned a high tech bike. I have owned a few over the years. But now I'm looking for a bike to allow SGSpouse and I to enjoy time together. We used to walk several miles together every day before her knees gave out. That provides a lot of time to talk and compare our experiences with each other. I miss that. Trying to do that while sitting at home working out or watching TV or sitting across from each other while we do our separate internet thing just isn't the same. This bike riding is about comfort and communication . . . not speed.

I enjoy cycling, and I hope to hear more about your cycling in the weeks to come.

That's good. I really am happy for you. But SGSpouse and I are not cycling. We're taking a stroll in the morning before I fix us both breakfast (I'm a really good omelette chef) and again in the evening to watch the sun go down over the canal.

Waving an olive branch,

Olive trees are a problem here in the desert. It is actually against the law to plant any new olive trees in the Phoenix valley because of the pollen they produce that hangs in our atmosphere for weeks. But I appreciate the sentiment and the effort. How about I offer you a sack of oranges instead of an olive branch. My trees should be producing delicious naval oranges in just another month or so.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46310 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 2:14 AM
Just make sure that the spouse's bike isn't the "standard Women's bike". Try riding hers, just to check the ease of use, compared to yours.

I know what you mean and I did check that out. Women's bikes used to be really heavy and clumsy compared to mens'. I worked on a lot of friends' bikes many years ago and always noticed the performance differences between mens' and womens' bikes. I don't know if that's still true, in general, but these two bikes are equally heavy and clumsy. And I let SGSpouse pick them out. I simply rode them both after the fact and agreed. She actually had picked out a non-gender 32" bike originally about a month ago, but it was just before we were leaving for the Netherlands and I didn't get a chance to check them out. Once we returned, she went back and decided on the bikes we ended up with.

The real test will be how I feel about these bikes in about 6 months or so . . . time for maintenance.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46311 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 2:27 AM
salaryguru: How about I offer you a sack of oranges instead of an olive branch. My trees should be producing delicious naval oranges in just another month or so.

Interesting. We have been eating and drinking our oranges since May Day, and they look like they will last until the end of the year.

Count Upp

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46312 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 3:07 AM
That is interesting. I continue to learn about orange trees. I have found it difficult to find information specific to my trees. Obviously, you can't count on general information when your trees and mine are so different. I wonder how Florida oranges are different still.

Our naval oranges normally start producing near mid- to late- December. By April, the quality starts to drop off, but any fruit that doesn't drop in the wind is still really good until about May or June. The Naval trees don't hold their fruit very well once they ripen. Storms with much wind and/or rain starting around March or later cause significant orange drops from the Naval trees.

Our AZ Sweet oranges seem to be about a month or two behind the Navals.

We also have one really large Valencia tree that starts producing about February and holds onto it's fruit all year long.

I eat fresh oranges all year long, but I really look forward to Naval season because they produce exceptional fruit. The AZ Sweets are almost as good as the Navals and the Sweet trees hold their fruit a little bit better than the Navals. The Valencia fruit is not nearly as sweet. Valencias also have seeds. But they make really good juice and are pretty good to eat.

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46313 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 8:52 AM
SG I too love to go for walks along the canal. The Paseo trail that runs thru Gilbert/Chandler is within a short walking distance from my house. Closest thing to river in this part of the Valley... I saw in the newspaper that SRP is draining the canal again this year :-(

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46314 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 11:20 AM
You must live in Flatland. Here in the hills of Tennessee you'd get about two blocks and then be walking your bike the rest of the way.

Many gears required, and you still end up walking it up some of the bigger hills.

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46316 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 1:42 PM
Recommendations: 4
These aren't your multi-gear, alloy frame bikes. They are cheap, single speed, pedal brake, heavy steel frame clunkers with baskets and a cup holder and a rear carrying platform. . . everything but a bell or horn.

You are singing my song. I bought my "woman's bike" for $50 at Sears a few years ago just because of the pedal brake, and I ride it into town center and back.

I wish I had enough nerve to buy an adult-sized tricycle. I saw an elderly woman riding one with groceries in the baskets in Falmouth, MA, one fine summer day. I envied her total lack of care in what anyone was thinking as she rode by. She took up almost all of the sidewalk with that behemoth and everyone stood aside for her. She looked like one of those old family, frugal Yankees who pretty much own the town. And she probably does.

Andrea

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46317 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 1:50 PM
I saw in the newspaper that SRP is draining the canal again this year :-(

We live very near where most of the prehistoric and historic canal head gates came off the Salt River, so within a few miles of my house I can access several SRP canals, Roosevelt Water District canals and even prehistoric canals. Some of them always go through a dry-up process during December, but not all of them. Walking along the canals during dry-up is interesting too. It's like a treasure hunt. You never know what you're going to find in them.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46318 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 2:04 PM
You must live in Flatland.

Yes. The Phoenix valley is pretty flat. We are surrounded by low mountains, but the rivers flowing down from the Mogollon rim have created a large, flat, fertile valley here.

There are certainly opportunities for bike riding including hills and mountains all around the outskirts of the valley, but we ride along canals which have very little slope.

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46324 of 62043
Subject: Re: New Bicycles Date: 11/21/2012 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
If I lived in the glaciated parts of Indiana or a city or suburbs, I would think about one of these.
http://www.workcycles.com/home-products/child-transport-bicy...

PF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement