Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mrseabreeze Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 69  
Subject: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/24/2003 9:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I just received notification about new fees being implemented beginning November 1 , 2003. I'm paid up and will stick with my current 3-folio plan. Anybody have any thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: schurchill16 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/25/2003 8:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I just got off the phone with customer service. My understanding is that existing plans will not see the fee until Next Summer, while new plans will see it in november. I plan on making 3-4 plans per quarter with my Roth IRA, so I will just have to make sure I make 4 trades to have the fee waived. My stock account only has about $1500 in it (stocks I transferred out of Buyandhold when they initiated the fees) and I plan on selling those shares and taking the cash until I have enough to invest in stocks to make the fee a non-issue.

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/25/2003 12:46 PM
what are the new fees? is there a link? i know last year they started the 25 a year ira maintenance fee, is this in addition to this?

From schurchill's comments it sounds like an inactivity fee?

Author: mrseabreeze Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/25/2003 10:44 PM
goodald,

I deleted the email that was sent to me, but it sounds like the annual fee is going up for the 1-folio, 2-folio, and 3-folio. I couldn't find the news release at their site.

I believe there are limitations on the number of trades per folio. I can't recall if the trades are per month or per year. folio.com used to have unlimited trades. Now it is 500-trades per month. I think it is being reduced to 200-trades: per month or per year is the question? I'll have to call and get some answers. They are still the best value in what they do.

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/26/2003 9:36 AM
oh ic... as i pay per trade still this sounds like I wont be affected (i make a buy every two months right now).

Author: schurchill16 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/26/2003 12:15 PM
I pay per trade currently.

The way I understand it is that the fee structure is changing for the subscription (1,2,3- folio plans). For accounts that are pay per trade, there is now going to be a $14.95 inactivity fee for any account that doesn't have 4 trades per quarter.

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/26/2003 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
well.... i used to be the biggest advocate for foliofn.. sounds like it may change...

terminate fee is pretty high too i think $50... damnit....

i dont see how this is "a low cost alternative to mutual funds".. this is damn expensive unless can afford to make a lot of deposits.. perhaps this inactivity fee doesn't apply to ira accounts? i'll need to call

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/26/2003 2:54 PM
hmm.. 4 trades a quarter or an inactivity fee of $15...

4 trades = 16 bucks... so may as well make the trades if i stay with fn..

16 x 4 = 64 + 25 anuual ira fee..

$89 annual fee (not including hidden fees that I believe are worked into the accounts)

annual investment required to make this fee = 2% of expenses $4450

Maxmimum contribution to a roth IRA = $3000
$89 dollars of expenses = 3% of $3000

now a jump from 2-3 doesn't look too bad.. but when i contributed bi monthly last year my expenses were around 1%... tripling my expenses is starting to look pretty bad..

i was a big advocate for this service in the past.. sorry....

Author: mrseabreeze Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/26/2003 8:18 PM
I don't like inactivity fees. I can understand the need for the company to make money. The fees have to cover the expenses. The fees may be grandfathered in for those who pay per folio. I currently have 3-folios and pay a $240 for the 3-folios with 500-trades/month per folio.

Nobody beats that offering and cost structure. Now if sharebuilder and/or buyandhold.com were better than I would consider them as an alternative. The trouble is neither one offers the services that foliofn.com does. If I were making a couple of trades per quarter than I would go to Scottrade.

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/27/2003 10:35 AM
"If I were making a couple of trades per quarter than I would go to Scottrade."

I've been looking at them-Only thing i'll miss is the divididend re-investment :(... fees dont even bother me THAT much if i could pay for them outside of account funds. unfortunately folio always needs to take it out of my balance so not only am i paying expenses, it's coming out of my roth contribution---- I wish, like other brokerages, they didnt have inactivity fees if you hit a certain balance

Author: mrseabreeze Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/27/2003 2:30 PM
goodald,

I read that folio could charge your credit card so it wouldn't effect your roth contributions.

Author: goodald Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 69
Subject: Re: New Fees Beginning 11/1/03 Date: 9/29/2003 9:49 AM
"I read that folio could charge your credit card so it wouldn't effect your roth contributions."

I called them about this previously when they started charging the 25 dollar ira fee and they informed me that the amount had to come from the account itself, same for the buy and sell fees.

man.. if they'd made it 3 trades in a quarter I would be totally fine with it cause I would just make my contributions on a monthly basis.. It looks like a lot of brokers are doing the inactivity fee thing but at least most others stop once you hit a certain balance.. If anyone finds an acceptable alternative let me know! I may even consider a larger brokerage like harris direct and just keep my purchases to once or twice a year.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement