Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PeregrinTook Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25234  
Subject: New Fool needs advice Date: 1/3/2003 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings Fools,

I am a 25 year old that graduated from college in 2000. My first couple of jobs were short, right out of school and I moved from place to place. I am in the Technology field, and times were/are volatile. At last I found a nice stable job with the government that pays a decent salary in these uncertain times in the tech sector.

Here is my situation and I hope I can get some foolish insights.

- I am 25 years old
- I make 52k a year
- I am married
- My wife is a nurse
- We just bought a house

I just started my job in September 2002 and am about to enroll in the 401k plan which is being transferred to CitiBank(CitiStreet) as we speak, it was previously run by a smaller agency, but now CitiStreet is taking over.

I have decided I will take part in the plan. Most of my coworkers are older, actually I am the youngest one here, and most of them have their entire 401k in a 84 Month Guaranteed Certificate Fixed investment option that returns a fixed yield...

Should I be more aggressive since I have years on my side or should I play it safe? The other options we have are:

American Funds EuroPacific Growth
Fidelity Diversified Int'l Fund
Brazos MicroCap Growth Fund
Franklin Small-Mid Cap Growth Fund
Strong Opportunity Inv Fund
American Century Ultra Investors
JP Morgan Growth & Income A
Vanguard Instl Index Inst Plus Fund
Oppenheimer Capital Income A Fund
PIMCO Total Return Instl Fund (Pimco actually had a postive return in 2002 compared to negative for all others...9.49% and 9.33% since inception)

Also...after *all* my expenses I have about $400 left over every month....

Also fools, I forgot to mention, since I work for the government, $130.00 pre-tax per paycheck is deducted into a Government Retirement account which I never see so I have never missed that money. (Theoretically If I work here for 28 more years, at my current salary, I will get a check for $2000 odd dollars every month for the rest of my natural life, I hope my salary goes up, however..)

My question is..can I start an individual Roth IRA being that I am married and my wife is still hesitant about the stock market, or do I not qualify because I am married? My wife makes 56k a year, but does not participate in a 401k and does not have an IRA. (I will convince her to become a fool later, and start one of the two, after I get my feet wet and know what I am doing)

Actually..*SHOULD* I start a Roth IRA or should I just get a regular investment account......Sort of confused and dont know if I could have a 401k AND a Roth..individually, even if I am married...

Advice for a Fool please.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope...

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement