UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 89079  
Subject: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/15/2011 1:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
Fools,

Today, The Motley Fool launched its new free mobile app on the Android and Iphone. The app allows people to do the following:

• Get up-to-date investing commentary
• Save articles for offline reading
• Share content on Facebook & Twitter
• Hone in on sector-specific news
• Listen to our top-rated podcasts

This is our first foray into the mobile application space, and we hope to learn a great deal as we engage Fools. To make this happen, we partnered with Zumobi and UPS to develop the app.

We hope it's useful and fun to use!

Richard
Print the post Back To Top
Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85607 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/15/2011 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
So, can I get to the message boards via the app?

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: caromero1965 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85608 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/15/2011 9:25 PM
Recommendations: 3
I just want the Fool Boards on my phone.

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85609 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 7:47 AM
Recommendations: 1
I just want the Fool Boards on my phone

Yeah, me too.

- Pam

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85610 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 10:28 AM
You can use the boards with a smart phone. I'm typing this reply on an Android with Dolphin browser, while simultaneously logged on with my computer.

Richard

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85611 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 10:32 AM
Recommendations: 0

Doesn't look like it at present, but you can use the phone's browser to navigate and interact on the boards.

Richard

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85612 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
You can use the boards with a smart phone.

Thanks, Richard, but I think that the question is whether the Fool Phone app does anything to facilitate access to the boards above and beyond what the smart phone browser will do. Put another way, if the sole or primary reason that one accesses TMF is for the discussion boards, is there any reason to download the app?

martybl

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85613 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 10:50 AM
...if the sole or primary reason that one accesses TMF is for the discussion boards, is there any reason to download the app?

Honestly, not at this time martybl.

Richard

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85614 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 11:03 AM
Are there any plans for a New Search Engine App or an Unlimited Recs App?

patch - would pay

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85615 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 11:51 AM
A Rec is a terrible thing to waste.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85616 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 12:25 PM
Doesn't look like it at present, but you can use the phone's browser to navigate and interact on the boards.

For those of us who primarily use the boards, the browser is an awful choice - to the point of being useless on a phone screen.

I guess I don't understand why this is difficult. Other publications seamlessly and automatically reformat their content for a phone size screen, and even allow comments using the embedded keyboard functions which already exist. This would seem so simple, and I would gladly pay a few bucks for such an implementation.

Access to "offline reading" of Fool articles? Not so much. Share content on Facebook and Twitter? Never. As in "ever."

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85617 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 2:05 PM
I guess I don't understand why this is difficult. Other publications seamlessly and automatically reformat their content for a phone size screen, and even allow comments using the embedded keyboard functions which already exist. This would seem so simple, and I would gladly pay a few bucks for such an implementation.

Given the rather old codebase on which the boards are built, automatically reformatting content based on screen size/resolution is a mighty big task. Doing so would require essentially re-building the whole front-end of the boards from scratch. For now, we don't have a mobile boards app in the works. I'm sure that when there's the same clamor for a mobile boards app as there's been for the content app we just released, we'll undertake the task.

Access to "offline reading" of Fool articles? Not so much. Share content on Facebook and Twitter? Never. As in "ever."

There are a lot of folks who do so.
http://twitter.com/#!/search/motley%20fool
http://www.facebook.com/themotleyfool?sk=wall

Best,

Speck

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85618 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 2:26 PM

Richard

I do, but the website is "user hostile" when it comes to using an I-phone. I suspect that the Motley Fool has it in for the message boards.

Oh well.

Qazulight

Author: BoredPerson One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85619 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 2:30 PM

Less than 1% of your audience follows your Facebook page. Is that good? I don't know.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85620 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 2:33 PM

So?

PSU

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85621 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 3:00 PM
Less than 1% of your audience follows your Facebook page. Is that good? I don't know.

That number represents people who "liked" our FB page, which is a subset of those who visit the page and/or post links to our stories on Facebook.

As for Twitter, today we're well north of 193K followers.

Point is that even though there are those who would never share/read/post about TMF editorial and analysis in any social network, there are many thousands (and growing) of engaged Fools who do, and want to do more.

Best,

Speck

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85622 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 3:13 PM
I do, but the website is "user hostile" when it comes to using an I-phone. I suspect that the Motley Fool has it in for the message boards.

Oh well.

i suspect the Boards are a loss-center /other parts are the profit-center.

in which case, it makes perfect sense to make an app catering to the latter and not the former.

=x

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85623 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 3:35 PM
Point is that even though there are those who would never share/read/post about TMF editorial and analysis in any social network, there are many thousands (and growing) of engaged Fools who do, and want to do more.

So?

Goofy never asked that you prioritize the development of a message board app over other stuff you do. He didn't say anything negative about your social network fanbase. All he mentioned was his own personal use of your internet offerings.

So I don't understand why you have the need to make the point that you did.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85624 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 3:56 PM
i suspect the Boards are a loss-center /other parts are the profit-center.

in which case, it makes perfect sense to make an app catering to the latter and not the former.

Hmmm. How to increase revenue from the Boards?

Hmmm.

Something like, I don't know, charge $2.99 for an app which allows you to read them on a phone screen?

Nah, probably never work. Nobody buys apps, anyway.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85625 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 3:58 PM
Nobody buys apps, anyway.

I don't buy apps.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85626 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 4:17 PM
Hmmm.

Something like, I don't know, charge $2.99 for an app which allows you to read them on a phone screen?

Nah, probably never work. Nobody buys apps, anyway.

no ..you're right.

my thinking was too limited.
i was only thinking 'free' (All my six or so apps are free)

$2.99 too steep for ME ..but others would jump on it.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85627 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 6:11 PM
my thinking was too limited.
i was only thinking 'free' (All my six or so apps are free)

$2.99 too steep for ME ..but others would jump on it.

and

I don't buy apps.

I didn't either, for a while. I have now bought a half dozen or so, the most expensive of which is $2.99. (It's called "Dotties", and it gives you the Weight Watchers points from restaurant menus across the country. Handy to have in your pocket when your dining out and on the program. She started with a simple website and hoped to sell a few ads. Now she has a lot of ads and apps for Apple and Android, which people actually pay money for. Imagine!)

Maybe the price point isn't $2.99, maybe it's 99¢. Maybe it's free with ads. Dunno, that's up to the marketing guys.

As for the reason that "it's too hard to separate out the text", well, maybe, but color me a skeptic. Wasn't there a guy who set up a separate search function for the Mechanical Investing board so users could search there? (That was because the Search Function sucks. Have I mentioned lately that the search function sucks? It's improved, but it still sucks.)

Somehow he was able to extract the relevant metadata, import it into his own machine and then spit it back out to users who wanted to look for older posts that they couldn't find using the Fool's search function. That was because the Search Function sucked, I guess.

Anyway, if he could do it from his bedroom (albeit for one board), how hard could it be to extract the information from other boards and shoot it to phones in appropriate font-ing and formatting? I know, I know, impossible. Right up there with "Can we get the Favorite Fools sorted by most recently added instead of alphabetical?"

Would you pay anything to get the Fool boards on your phone in some kind of readable display? Maybe I should set up a poll, not that it would matter.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85628 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 6:17 PM
Right up there with "Can we get the Favorite Fools sorted by most recently added instead of alphabetical?"

Would you pay anything to get the Fool boards on your phone in some kind of readable display? Maybe I should set up a poll, not that it would matter.

I'd pay 99 cents right now if they'd fix the Favorite Fools.

Frydaze1

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85629 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 6:24 PM
Maybe the price point isn't $2.99, maybe it's 99¢. Maybe it's free with ads. Dunno, that's up to the marketing guys.

yup.

As for the reason that "it's too hard to separate out the text", well, maybe, but color me a skeptic.

and it seems to me, every time they make a major change, they screw up three other useful features (MY pet-peeves: what they did to Unicode and threaded View)

Would you pay anything to get the Fool boards on your phone in some kind of readable display?

me ..probably not. when i'm not at my computer, i rarely care about TMF

but could understand that others might (i have looked at TMF via phone browser ..that does suck)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85630 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 6:26 PM
I'd pay 99 cents right now if they'd fix the Favorite Fools.

heh.

another example of their 'fixes' making things worse

Author: TMFSpeck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85631 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/16/2011 8:34 PM
I know, I know, impossible.

I didn't say, or mean to suggest, "impossible". It's a large task to re-factor the old boards code to be responsive to screen resolutions ranging from desktops to Androids. Heck, the front-end code for these boards is far older than even the first smart-phone.

Impossible? No. It's more a matter both demand and relative effort required to make the necessary changes.

Speck

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85632 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/17/2011 9:32 PM
How do I officially get counted in the list of people clamoring for a discussion boards app? I would like this for the iPhone/iPad platform.

Author: TMFJeb One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85633 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/18/2011 11:27 PM
If there are 1MM people willing to pay $2.99 for an app with mobile-optimized non-premium boards, then I'd bet the farm it'll happen. Fewer than that and, sad to say, I (unofficially) doubt it makes sense to make the huge development effort...

Author: TroySR71 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85634 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 2:01 AM
Sounds like TMF fools still get their milk delivered to the house by horse 'n buggy.

$2.99 ???? Nice try. It better be free or move aside, your in the way of progress.

At the current pace of other companies, TMF has less then 12 months to get on board or to be known as a one of the good sites to frequent back in the day.

If you think for one moment that anyone under 40 is going to start frequenting this site as it is today, your in for a rude awakening.

I rarely visit TMF anymore. Their are numerous other sites that put this place to shame today and the numbers of these sites are growing larger every month.

Just sayin'

Sent via iPad2

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85635 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 5:19 AM
Recommendations: 29
$2.99 ???? Nice try. It better be free or move aside, your in the way of progress.

I'm fairly certain that the revenue we all bring in as "discussion board only" Fools is insufficient for your threat to mean much. Especially since you "rarely visit TMF anymore" and evidently dislike it here anyway.

It's their sandbox. They let us play in it for free. Whining to them about their failure to spend a ton of money to improve their free sandbox for us is probably ineffective.

Frydaze1 <--- appreciates the free sandbox even though there are things I'd like changed

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85636 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 11:43 AM
If you think for one moment that anyone under 40 is going to start frequenting this site as it is today, your in for a rude awakening.

I rarely visit TMF anymore. Their are numerous other sites that put this place to shame today and the numbers of these sites are growing larger every month.

-------------

Link please.
Since I don't really believe you, I'd like a link to what you consider to be the very best other website so I can see for myself how they do it and just how great it is.

Thanks in advance

AM

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85637 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 1:35 PM
AngelMay -

Nice balloons!

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85638 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 1:48 PM
Thanks!

:D

Twelve years.
Oy! TWELVE!
Whodathunkit?

AM

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85639 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/19/2011 4:50 PM
If there are 1MM people willing to pay $2.99 for an app with mobile-optimized non-premium boards, then I'd bet the farm it'll happen.

Really? It takes $3 million to develop an app to read text that already exists?

One wonders how Friendly, MyPad, iFace and the others got made so quickly when Facebook took its time. Even more astonishing is that those guys in garages who apparently came up with $3 million for development?

I gotta get in this game. With 425,000 apps in the App Store, it appears Apple has generated 1 Trillion, 275 million dollars (425,000 x $3M) in development costs alone. Wow. And they say the recession's not over.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85640 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 2:21 AM
Recommendations: 6
>>>If there are 1MM people willing to pay $2.99 for an app with mobile-optimized non-premium boards, then I'd bet the farm it'll happen. <<<

Really? It takes $3 million to develop an app to read text that already exists?

For the record, he didn't say it takes $3MM. He said if you paid $3MM it would get done.

I could tint the windows on my car in purple for less than $100 but I'm not planning on doing it. Not even if you gave me the $100. But if you gave me $100,000 I'd guarantee to do it within a month.

Frydaze1

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85641 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 12:07 PM

---

I am under 40 and I frequent this site

-CH

ps- you're

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85642 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 12:35 PM
For the record, he didn't say it takes $3MM. He said if you paid $3MM it would get done.

Yeah, I was trying to make a point.

The Fool has decided to let the discussion boards fall into the "we don't do mobile" category, thus going the opposite direction of Facebook, which apparently thinks there's money to be made - even with a free app.

But if saying "mobile isn't important to the future of the boards" is the mantra, then so be it. I find it terribly short sighted, personally, but perhaps they don't see value in the boards, in which case I wonder why they exist at all? (No, it really doesn't cost a lot to build an app, and saying "Pay us $3MM and we'll do it" is, well, nonsense.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85643 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 12:45 PM
Oh for heaven's sake. Nobody said they wouldn't do it. What they said was: There isn't currently enough demand to justify the expense so it isn't high on the priority list.

I'd really like the color scheme to be customizable. And that wouldn't cost much to implement at all! But meanwhile I'll settle for boring blue and you'll settle for using your phone's browser and we'll both survive the inconvenience of it.

Frydaze1 <--- thinks typing long messages on the Facebook mobile app sucks. And since TMF boards don't have pictures or anything, none of the *good* parts of the FB app are applicable here anyway.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85644 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:22 PM
Oh for heaven's sake. Nobody said they wouldn't do it. What they said was: There isn't currently enough demand to justify the expense so it isn't high on the priority list.

Well, they said they wouldn't do it. If you have $3,000,000 then they'll do it. That's an absurd statement on its face, since it takes nowhere near that to create an app. Not 1/10th, perhaps not 1/100th. Leaving the discussion boards out of "mobile" seems a strategic mistake to me. Seems Mark Zuckerberg agrees.

I'd really like the color scheme to be customizable.

Silly. You go from "completely unusable in its present form" to "I'd like the color to be blue." You usually make better arguments than this.

thinks typing long messages on the Facebook mobile app sucks

OK. Nobody says you have to "type long messages." Maybe you just want to read-only when you have some downtime at the Doctor's waiting room, and when you get back you can flag those that you want to reply to from a real keyboard.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85645 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:32 PM
Silly. You go from "completely unusable in its present form" to "I'd like the color to be blue." You usually make better arguments than this.

OK. Nobody says you have to "type long messages." Maybe you just want to read-only when you have some downtime at the Doctor's waiting room, and when you get back you can flag those that you want to reply to from a real keyboard.

Dear Goofy,
I'm answering you from my Droid Incredible. I read your message here. I replied here.

How is my argument sounding now?

Frydaze1

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85646 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:38 PM

---

Tiresome

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85647 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:41 PM
Tiresome

From your phone's browswer you can even ignore thread. Or user, if you prefer.

Amazing how much can be done even without the mobile app...

Frydaze1

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85648 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:45 PM
From your phone's browswer you can even ignore thread. Or user, if you prefer.

---

But you can't spell check, apparently

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85649 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 1:52 PM
You've descended to making digs about typos? Seriously, CH?

Frydaze1

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85650 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 2:02 PM
OK. Nobody says you have to "type long messages." Maybe you just want to read-only when you have some downtime at the Doctor's waiting room,

been there done that ...maybe twice: when none of my music sounded interesting, i forgot to bring my book, AND didn't want to play any games.

via Safari, it's a very sucky experience .. i'd pay $0.99 for an app, maybe $1.99, but $2.99 too steep for Me

=xxyzz
... might make my top-10 list of needed improvements, not top-five.
( would be interesting to know what the Users would vote top-ten ...

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85653 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 2:35 PM
You've descended to making digs about typos? Seriously, CH?

---

Nice deflection

Author: TroySR71 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85657 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 9:15 PM
I'm fairly certain that the revenue we all bring in as "discussion board only" Fools is insufficient for your threat to mean much.

I'm not referring to the discussion boards specifically. If you read my post correctly, it's clear that I am referring to the site as a whole.

There are numerous (about 200 currently) finance Apps available for the iPad (I have several). When and if you ever get around to seeing a finance App (or any periodical App) designed for the iPad you will understand my position. Until then, you really don’t have a clue as to what you are missing or what you are talking about.

As to threats, the only thing threatening TMF is progress.

Troy

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85658 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/20/2011 9:42 PM
Recommendations: 4

Even sillier. First you say people don't want to type messages, then you type a message.

I'm answering you from my Droid Incredible. I read your message here. I replied here.

Optimal experience? No?

My logic train is pretty easy to follow here: Either the boards have value or they don't. My conclusion is that they must have some value, because the Fool continues to maintain them, and even upgrade (?) them from time to time. Why would they do that if there was no value to them?

"Mobile" is where computing is going; Google reports that mobile accounted for about 10% of all searches a year ago, and projects 20% in 2012. These are "active" searches, people typing things into boxes and getting results. Facebook is rumored to be launching its app within a few weeks, again, with people typing things in boxes (sometimes long things) and interacting with other people.

The Fool app, now being flogged over in the right-hand column is completely inidirectional and passive, which is fine, but for those of us in these interactive fields we ask for more. The response is: Pay us $3MM and we'll do it. I'm going to chalk that up to a failed attempt at humor, because other possibilities are unkind.

And I note that it can take mere thousands to put an app together, sometimes one person can do it in a couple weeks: (How to Build An App in 14 Days: http://www.smallcloudbuilder.com/apps/articles/376-how-to-wr... ) which argues for the possibility of mere hundreds, not thousands.

I'm sure Facebook is spending a lot more, but then it's their core business and they're adding lots of bells and whistles, according to reports. I'm sure "Friendly" did not, whipped together an app which is entirely useful, simple, and has all the key functions of Facebook, which is to say: it retrieves data from someone's account (with permission), formats everything and puts it on the screen in organized and readable fashion, and allows "typing of long messages" to go right back to the server. I remain unconvinced that this is so hard or costly, because I am seeing in in action with other sites.

I saw it on the MI board when the guy set up his own search function for users. A guy. In his bedroom. A half dozen years ago.

Wait! The Fool has a new set of boards, too: the CAPS side of the house, what with swell new formatting and all. That has no value? That side also gets "read our headlines and listen to our podcasts" but nothing else?

As someone upthread said, far less politely, it's a big boat, it's an obvious boat, it's a cheap-to-get-on boat, and the Fool has decided to miss it.

I don't understand it, even if the economics aren't there by itself. Companies do lots of things that aren't perfectly economic unto themselves but which further the mission: the return counter at WalMart doesn't make a penny; sponsoring Walk-A-Thons doesn't benefit IBM's bottom line, keeping the Charles Schwab call centers in the US costs more, but somehow the longer view is that it's worth it because it keeps customers and/or employees more tightly bound. Why doesn't this? Nobody cares? It costs too much? I remain unconvinced.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85659 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/21/2011 12:21 AM
I see. You said:

"completely unusable in its present form"

So I show you that it's not merely usable from my phone; it's fully functional. Even down to copying, pasting, and italicizing. But that makes me silly because you didn't actually *mean* what you said.

And then there's this:

Maybe you just want to read-only when you have some downtime at the Doctor's waiting room, and when you get back you can flag those that you want to reply to from a real keyboard.

So I show you that I can read your post from my phone. But, again, I'm silly because you didn't really *mean* that being able to read the messages was your priority.

You can currently use your phone browser on the message boards. Your browser will even zoom in and out and wrap the text. It's a text-only site, so there isn't all that much more to be done to make reading more effective. And typing isn't going to be any easier than it ever is on a phone, but it's still doable as much as any other mobile app I've seen. If you think about the Facebook mobile app you keep bringing up, you'll see that almost none of it is even applicable here. So really all you're doing is complaining about a few cosmetic changes to assist in navigation. And, you're right, those cost a lot less to do. And would be a little more convenient. But since you'll gain so little functionality with them, they're even less worth doing. Of all the things TMF could do to make the board users happy, a few mobile navigation buttons seems farther down the list than most of what is asked for on this board... most of which they *do* already have code to implement.

You're usually more amenable to reason than this, but you're entitled to a bad day, I guess.

Frydaze1

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85660 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/21/2011 6:37 AM
Facebook is rumored to be launching its app within a few weeks, again, with people typing things in boxes (sometimes long things) and interacting with other people.

errr ... how is that different from their current app?

dsbrady

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85661 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/21/2011 6:42 AM
You can currently use your phone browser on the message boards.

Despite how it sounds, "usable" doesn't really mean just that you are able to use it (yeah, I know, literally, that IS what it means, but usability means a lot more). Yes, I CAN use my phone browser with the boards, but it's a very unpleasant experience -- to the point of not wanting to do so. That, essentially, makes it unusable.

If I wanted to go from San Francisco to New York, I could walk the whole way. That doesn't mean it's really a "walkable" trip.

dsbrady

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85662 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/21/2011 8:51 AM
You can currently use your phone browser on the message boards. Your browser will even zoom in and out and wrap the text. It's a text-only site, so there isn't all that much more to be done to make reading more effective. And typing isn't going to be any easier than it ever is on a phone, but it's still doable as much as any other mobile app I've seen. If you think about the Facebook mobile app you keep bringing up, you'll see that almost none of it is even applicable here. So really all you're doing is complaining about a few cosmetic changes to assist in navigation. And, you're right, those cost a lot less to do. And would be a little more convenient. But since you'll gain so little functionality with them, they're even less worth doing. Of all the things TMF could do to make the board users happy, a few mobile navigation buttons seems farther down the list than most of what is asked for on this board... most of which they *do* already have code to implement.

You're usually more amenable to reason than this, but you're entitled to a bad day,

---

You are completely missing the point

Author: RaplhCramden Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85664 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/23/2011 9:45 AM
Recommendations: 10
What do you think the chances are that TMF's "official" policy is that for $3MM they will build a message board app? We are lucky enough to have a few Fools who will engage on boards like this, then I read the thread and am reminded why this is rare and why it is rare throughout corporate America. The public is too uninformed and too ready to whine to have open discussion with the public be a good policy except in some very limited circumstances.

Anybody who wants to develop an app is welcome to. On the Android side of the world, the only things you HAVE to pay money for to develop an app is a PC. If you already have a PC (and I'm guessing most people posting on these boards do), ALL the software you need is free, and there are reasonably well documented discussions of every step of the process. You need the Java Development Kit (JDK) from oracle.com, Android Software Development Kit (SDK) from... I don't remember where its from, google it. I highly recommend Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE).

For the last two months I have been thrashing around learning Android Apps. My particular focus is nerdy, I want to log various things that the phone does for the understanding of performance and the development of algorithms to do some other stuff efficiently. But it is a BLAST. To realize that every tool I'm using cost precisely $0, that a smart 13 year old could set up the same environment I have and make running code and try them on her own phone, all for FREE. I offered to some friends of mine who are home schooling to tutor their son in getting this going. Talk about highly educational! Learning object oriented programming will get your neurons all dancing together, and doing it on one of the most successful programmable platforms ever should keep it from being too boring.

Yes, the Fool boards are backwards and upside down, technologically speaking. But here on this board, we are a bunch of Dinosaurs b1tching about the small mammals and what they will pay for, and what they won't pay for. I can assure you if I ran a website and I had a bunch of small mammals willing to pay $2.99 to read professional content, and a bunch of dinosaurs stomping around demanding free stuff without every putting (much) money in, I would be devoting my resources to the small mammals.

I doubt that at this time you can get good Android developers for cheap. Even my company is paying me to write Android instead of hiring some junior guy who gets paid half what I get. Presumably because the jr guys who can actually code make a lot more than half what I make due to the amazing demand for Apps.

I'm sure part of what makes Fool message boards upgrades hard is that they have a precarious business model. The way you make a mobile webpage is you strip out most of the junk so you can present smallish amount of text in readable format. All those click through ads... gone! So you have a revenue model on the boards which is likely just sort of limping along, costing very little in CapEx (which is why the software for the boards is about the same as it was 100 years ago), and generating very little in attributable ad revenue. Its not like putting $1MM into developing better boards is going to pay off, there is no particular reason to think that the kind of person who would pay for professional content would be attracted to the boards just becasue they had been spiffed up. I'm sure the Fool looks at its desultory efforts to improve search on the boards and to "improve" the boards by putting Facebook-like lipstick on the board-pig as failures in that they cost SOME money and probably attracted nobody.

We pay the fool nothing. In some sense, we are getting precisely what we want. We can't very well sit around and say "well these other sites are much better" because if that were true, wouldn't we be there and not here? There is something about this software on this board, crafted before the Dinosaurs became extinct, that matches up with us skinflint Dinosaur board users. Yes the future is small mammals, and the business-end of Fool will adapt-or-die to small mammals. But we are not small mammals and our dinosaur interests are at odds with those of small mammals.

What is the proper role of a bunch of dinosaurs on their way to extinction? I'd imagine it is b1tching about everything while paying for nothing. We're doing good!

R:)

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85666 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/23/2011 11:06 AM
errr ... how is that different from their current app?

Sorry. I was referring to their rumored app for the iPad. They already have an app for the iphone and android. Presumably the iPad app will have much more functionality and many more options than the iPhone app, which is basically a reader, although with some effort you can write messages, too.

People have wondered why Facebook wasn't front and center with an iPad app, given that they were among the first to have one for the iPhone. I think the answer speaks for itself: the original was optimized for the tiny screen, and it served as a placeholder for iPad users until something better was designed for the larger tablet screen.

But at least they're in the game. The Fool has taken what, four years to release a phone app, and then it's not interactive and doesn't include the boards? As a daily user of the Fool, no, I haven't downloaded it. I don't need to read "their headlines". I'm here for the boards and not much else. (Occasionally they will hook me with something, but it's not that often.) Meanwhile they have started up another set of boards entirely (CAPS) and don't have an app for that either? Yet they have the time to monitor that, program an entirely different code base, different formatting and the rest, but not get it into "mobile" either?

Weird.

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85667 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/23/2011 12:56 PM
Sorry. I was referring to their rumored app for the iPad

Ahh, thanks. I hadn't realized they didn't have an iPad app yet (probably because I don't have an iPad :) ).

I could certainly see that being more functional than the phone app (which is fine for reading and quick updates, but not long messages).

dsbrady

Author: none0such One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85669 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/25/2011 2:07 PM
I doubt that at this time you can get good Android developers for cheap.

I dunno. If TMF would be willing to tackle development for 3 dollars worth of M&Ms good ones can't be too much dearer.

Author: bmfc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85675 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 7/7/2011 4:30 PM
Are there any plans to introduce this app for the Blackberry?

Author: TMFBritcodeftw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85681 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 7/13/2011 11:40 AM
Recommendations: 10
The very same boards users who complain that mobile does not include boards are often the same members possibly holding back progress because they don't want the desktop version of boards to change. The fact is, our boards software is ancient and we have built a lot of custom functionality on top that has been requested by you members over the years. The codebase is spaghetti. To get boards working on mobile we really would have to completely overhaul and replace the current boards software first - which would no doubt herald all manner of complaints from users who don't want anything to change. I'm not in a position to offer an official response on this, so it's only my personal opinion - but there is definitely a pervading sense that business leaders at the Fool don't see much advantage in making progress that would only bring in just as many new complaints, and zero revenue. Seems like somewhat of a catch-22. I would love to be on a team that sets up a completely new, modern messageboard for Fools, complete with all the features that modern boards users take for granted, as well as a slick mobile experience - but a lot of the features and functions you have all been using for decades would be lost - and then there would be countless more threads like this one continuing with the complaints. I honestly don't see a likely solution in the short-term that would be a win-win for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

Author: Highspire709 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85708 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 7/27/2011 8:29 PM
A Blackberry App would be appreciated!

Author: DaveNeedsToRelax One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85713 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 2:43 PM
>> To get boards working on mobile we really would have to completely overhaul and replace the current boards software first -

Yes TMFBritcodeftw, that's the correct way to go. There are a lot of really great forum software packages that will work well "out of the box" so costs can be free, cheap, or expensive. Your choice. Price is not directly related to quality, especially when it comes to Open Source software.

Once the TMF Forums are running modern forum software, it becomes a lot easier to add modern features. For example, WordPress (free) can accept a plugin that reformat the whole website for optimal small screen viewing when it detects a mobile web browser. That "WPtouch" plug-in is free too, although there is also a $200 developer version.

I'm not saying that WordPress is the way to go for TMF forums, but as an example to show that it can be really easy to reformat a modern website for small screen phones.

And there are a number of readily available forum software packages that could be used, and robust developer support. I hear it can even be pretty easy to import zillions of messages from older forum software, so nothing of value is lost.

Modern web forum software has a lot of great features that will be appreciated. - Like email notification of replies to threads I've posted in. That makes for a much more active forum, which is part of the real goal of engagement isn't it?

Dave

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85714 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 5:11 PM
Modern web forum software has a lot of great features that will be appreciated. - Like email notification of replies to threads I've posted in. That makes for a much more active forum, which is part of the real goal of engagement isn't it?

I, for one, would probably leave the Fool entirely if they ever embraced the more traditional web board structure. For all of its warts, I greatly favor the way the Fool message boards function as compared to the various phpBB/vBulletin/UBB/et al clones.

I believe that the interface and style of display used here at the Fool really lends itself to a higher calibre of discussion content. Whatever you may feel about the current corpus of user posts, I'm confident that quality and depth would suffer greatly if they tried to move to one of those "modern" systems you're suggesting.

The Fool's post-centric focus is far superior to the more familiar thread-centric display that we see in other forum software and it would be a real tragedy if the Fool switched to that style.

Author: TMFBritcodeftw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85715 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 7:44 PM
Dave, all excellent suggestions, and if it were up to me I'd definitely replace boards with something modern and probably opensource. I'm a big fan of 'Vanilla' for creating messageboards, and some of the WP extensions are getting better too. Alas, it's not up to me, and we've also had comments from lots of boards users along the lines of 'please don't fix what is not broken', 'we love our boards just the way they are' and 'change is not good'. Those kinds of sentiments don't really help to spearhead any change.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85716 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 8:00 PM
Recommendations: 4
Dave, all excellent suggestions, and if it were up to me I'd definitely replace boards with something modern and probably opensource. I'm a big fan of 'Vanilla' for creating messageboards, and some of the WP extensions are getting better too. Alas, it's not up to me, and we've also had comments from lots of boards users along the lines of 'please don't fix what is not broken', 'we love our boards just the way they are' and 'change is not good'. Those kinds of sentiments don't really help to spearhead any change.

I'll admit that I like the boards the way they are.

I'll also admit that some of the other versions have some interesting capabilities that we are lacking.

But I've noticed that on the other systems posts are likely to be much shorter, and mush less thoughtful. Very often there's nothing more than a quick comment, and if a post extends to a full paragraph it's a rare event.

In addition, the problem of dealing with the archives seems insurmountable, and I'm really, really, reallly tired of people (people who have often been with the Fool for only a year or so) saying, "oh, no one looks at the older posts. We don't need them, get rid of everything before last year."

People do use them. They often refer back to them. When people have reached some sort of successful conclusion, paying down debts, for example, they will often refer back to their first post. On other boards people will go back and say, "so and so wrote a really terrific post on that subject. Here's a link."

So like it or not, the archives would have to be upgraded to work with whatever software was purchased.

Nancy

Author: TMFBritcodeftw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85717 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 8:26 PM
Nancy that is a great point regarding archives. I understand the importance and wouldn't vote to lose them either.

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85718 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 8:44 PM
I'm another who is not in favor of change just for change's sake. And I appreciate that the boards on TMF are different from everyone else - different in a good way if you ask me.

But it seems to me as a non-programmer, that the boards (and any boards for that matter) are just a big database issue. The data is the message itself and all of it's various identifying info - poster, date posted, board, thread, etc.

Then there's the front end - how the data is presented. If the data are housed in a good database, I would think it wouldn't be that tough to have different front-ends, different user experiences, depending on the browser and device. Heck, you could probably even give the users some choice and display the boards in something resembling one of those crappy, one-size-fits-all board formats newbies keep thinking are actually good.

That begs the question, then. Are the TMF boards housed in a good database format? My guess is that they are not, hence the issues with things like smart phone apps.

--Peter

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85719 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 10:07 PM
But it seems to me as a non-programmer, that the boards (and any boards for that matter) are just a big database issue. The data is the message itself and all of it's various identifying info - poster, date posted, board, thread, etc.

Then there's the front end - how the data is presented. If the data are housed in a good database, I would think it wouldn't be that tough to have different front-ends, different user experiences, depending on the browser and device. Heck, you could probably even give the users some choice and display the boards in something resembling one of those crappy, one-size-fits-all board formats newbies keep thinking are actually good.

It's been many years since I programmed, but I can assure you that it is not as simple as you claim it is.

Nancy

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85720 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/3/2011 10:24 PM

I am a database consultant by profession, and I agree that it is largely a database issue. (Full disclosure: to us database types, everything is a database issue.) However that is not saying it is easy. In fact one of my key red flags is anything described as just anything. 8-)

The threading issue alone is crazy. There have been mentions recently of threads that are hundreds of thousands of messages long. The mind boggles. Handling that and still performing is unlikely to be the result of just database normalization. (Actually it sounds like an interesting problem to work on!)

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85721 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/4/2011 2:04 AM
It's been many years since I programmed, but I can assure you that it is not as simple as you claim it is.

I don't think I said it was easy. I was claiming that with good DB practices it would be reasonably possible to provide different front ends for the same data. Many web sites (which are really just another database) already do this.

Without those practices (which I suspect is the case here at TMF), providing different large screen (i.e. computer) and small screen (i.e. iPod, etc.) fronts ends is difficult to impossible.

--Peter

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85722 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/4/2011 2:24 AM
I am a database consultant by profession, and I agree that it is largely a database issue. (Full disclosure: to us database types, everything is a database issue.)

Agreed. You database types even try to take things better suited to spreadsheets and word processors and turn them into databases. ;-)

In fact one of my key red flags is anything described as just anything. 8-)

I didn't mean to imply that it was. Perhaps the use of the word "just" is creating problems in communication. Maybe it would be better to say that the boards are "one big, honking, database issue" rather than "just" a database issue.

The threading issue alone is crazy.

I guess that's one I don't really understand. There's a pointer to the previous post in the thread. A one-to-one relationship, as a post can really only be a response to one post (unless it's the first post in a thread). Then there's a pointer to replies to the post. A one-to-many relationship. Any one post can have any number of replies. You could also give each thread a unique ID # to, well, identify what thread it belongs to.

Here at TMF, they use some kind of pointer to the "parent" post - the post to which it replies. That turns into the link in the subject when you're looking at a single post. And they must use some kind of thread ID to display all of the posts in a thread in chronological order. I would guess that the identification of the replies to a post is lacking. Which means that displaying threads in some kind of indented fashion like other boards is difficult.

I've dabbled in a little rudimentary database design for my own use. I find the whole topic fascinating. I guess it appeals to the logical, ordered part of me. But I'm the first to admit that I really don't have a clue about the nuanced complexity of things. Kind of like a kid who's fascinated with addition and subtraction, not realizing the complexity and beauty of calculus.

I really don't want to offend, just (there's that word again) to learn.

--Peter

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85723 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/4/2011 11:24 AM
Peter,

I was not offended at all. I find the subject fascinating, why shouldn't you? 8-)

In fact one of my key red flags is anything described as just anything. 8-)

I didn't mean to imply that it was. Perhaps the use of the word "just" is creating problems in communication. Maybe it would be better to say that the boards are "one big, honking, database issue" rather than "just" a database issue.

There was no problem in communication, I understood what you meant completely. What I was trying to say was that in my experience the word "just" so often coincides with understating or putting aside a difficulty (and I do not exclude my own use of the word!) that I always try to give it a second look.

The data items and relationships are relatively straightforward, and there will be several logically valid and complete ways of defining them. The subtleties involve choosing among the logically equivalent alternatives and choosing a physical implementation that satisfies the performance requirements. My gut feel is that handling threads is the most challenging performance issue, but that's an educated guess without doing the real analysis, and even if I am right I suspect there are other performance issues besides.

RH in CT

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85724 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/4/2011 6:28 PM
People do use them. They often refer back to them. When people have reached some sort of successful conclusion, paying down debts, for example, they will often refer back to their first post. On other boards people will go back and say, "so and so wrote a really terrific post on that subject. Here's a link."

Like Tamarian's fantastic series on becoming financially aware and paying debt, or The Harpsichord Post. . .

Imagine never being able to link to the harpsichord post ever again! No!

Ishtar

Author: CarlTheWebmaster Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85725 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/5/2011 1:01 PM
<<
Like Tamarian's fantastic series on becoming financially aware and paying debt, or The Harpsichord Post. . .

Imagine never being able to link to the harpsichord post ever again! No!

>>

Link please?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85726 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/5/2011 1:16 PM
Here's Tamarian's series:

http://boards.fool.com/well-accept-submissions-through-decem...

and here's JABoa's harpsichord post.

http://boards.fool.com/one-thing-i-could-suggest-is-that-you...

Nancy

Author: ferjen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85733 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/10/2011 6:25 PM
I'm sure that when there's the same clamor for a mobile boards app as there's been for the content app we just released, we'll undertake the task.

We're clamoring...please start the app ASAP. Thank you.

Author: gunlock8 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85758 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 8/19/2011 1:30 PM
Awesome! About time!! Please consider adding subscription services to it. I travel a lot and like to read up on my Stock Advisor recommendations and discussion boards!

Author: goofedoff Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86638 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 4/12/2012 11:43 PM
Need to get that app out to Google play to let Androids download safely!

Author: dcapn88 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86679 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 5/11/2012 4:37 PM
How can we download this app?

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86680 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 5/11/2012 4:40 PM
on the right side of this page, about halfway down,

a link to "get fool phone app"

Author: katinga Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87343 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 1/27/2013 9:15 AM
Reviews say it doesn't work on Kindle HD. Has the app been improved recently and needs some new reviews?

Author: Dukenewkirk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Blue Captain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87756 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 5/7/2013 12:39 AM
Funny, this thread started two years ago. For the last year I've spent as much time following these boards on a Samsung Nexus, actually more, than on my laptop. If people are still having issues doing likewise, I'd question what kind of smartphone they are using today that can't handle these boards or the site as a whole.

Duke, who took about 1 minute, maybe 1.5 to type this on his phone

Author: HGArtA Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87773 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 5/21/2013 9:09 AM
Is there a Windows Phone app for this?

Author: AC27fool Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87873 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/23/2013 11:22 PM
Is there any plan to expand to the Windows phone platform?

I like my Nokia but I am finding a lack of apps for the things I would like to do relating to trading. Case in point - Fool app and TDA - They have an older app that is not compatible with my OS.

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87874 of 89079
Subject: Re: New Fool Phone App Date: 6/24/2013 12:40 PM
Hi AC27fool,

Can't say about a Win OS phone app, but we are working on making our sites perform more seamlessly across all operating systems.

Thanks for your question.

Richard

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (83) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement