UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zuzu70 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31120  
Subject: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/22/2005 11:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This weekend, DH and I used a manual sod cutter to cut out a veggie garden and borders around two sides of our house, transplanted the better sod in other parts of our yard where the grass didn't take, put in garden edging along the borders (until we ran out!), amended the soil and tilled both the garden and the borders, and planted the borders. What a nice feeling of accomplishment. My step-dad and a co-worker, both wonderful generous people, gave us starters from their perennial gardens of

bleeding hearts
hostas
lily of the valley
winter onions
bee balm
black-eyed Susans
astors
day lilies
autumn joy sedum
shasta daisies
and a bush that he didn't know the name of!

to get started. I didn't realize the value of the transplant gifts until I went to the local garden store to buy the edging and saw a $9.99 price tag on *one* small hosta! Granted, the stuff I got is mostly small and I had to do a little more work to get them in the ground without them falling apart, but still, I'll have to write them both a T-U card. I hope most of it survives. DH now says I work him like a horse...but we had a small window between when rains are forecast to get the stuff done. :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17898 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/23/2005 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Granted, the stuff I got is mostly small and I had to do a little more work to get them in the ground without them falling apart, but still, I'll have to write them both a T-U card. I hope most of it survives.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad gave me a tip when transplanting which i'm not sure if it is "common knowledge", it wasn't for me when he first told me a couple years back. Water the plants before transplanting so the dirt sticks to the roots and it is much easier to keep the clump together. It sounds very common sensical but i didn't know and wanted to let anyone else that may not know the scoop. Kerry on.

Author: zuzu70 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17900 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/23/2005 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
You mean like, water them when they're in their old ground, then dig, then plant? Or, do you mean dig, then water root ball, then plant?

Thanks for the tip!

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17904 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/23/2005 1:35 PM
You mean like, water them when they're in their old ground, then dig, then plant? Or, do you mean dig, then water root ball, then plant?

We do the same thing with our seedlings and never have a problem getting them out of the pots. Water the plant in it's old ground, dig up, then plant and water again.
Kathleen

Author: mishedlo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17912 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/24/2005 12:45 AM
bleeding hearts
hostas
lily of the valley
winter onions
bee balm
black-eyed Susans
astors
day lilies
autumn joy sedum
shasta daisies
and a bush that he didn't know the name of!

Except for the hostas a day lailies the rest are deer proof.

Bleeding hearts are getting to be my favorite flower.
They multiply fast by seed.
Gorgeous cut flower.

Mish

Author: zuzu70 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17939 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/25/2005 4:44 PM
Except for the hostas a day lailies the rest are deer proof.
Bleeding hearts are getting to be my favorite flower.
They multiply fast by seed.

-----------------------

Thanks for the info, Mish. My step-dad said to cut back the more established bleeding heart he gave us, so that it didn't have to work so hard after the shock of transplanting...but I had no clue which branches were the best to cut. I just kinda snipped off the ones that were dragging on the ground or looked limp. I dunno if that was right or not.

zuzu

Author: mishedlo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17942 of 31120
Subject: Re: new gardener has satisfying weekend Date: 5/26/2005 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info, Mish. My step-dad said to cut back the more established bleeding heart he gave us, so that it didn't have to work so hard after the shock of transplanting...but I had no clue which branches were the best to cut. I just kinda snipped off the ones that were dragging on the ground or looked limp. I dunno if that was right or not.

zuzu

if it flowered this year you should now have seed pods.
I could furnish this entire board with seeds this year. A huge bumper crop. It will take a couple years to produce a flowering sized plant from seed but after that they will be prolific producers.

I am really going to spread some seeds around this year on my "back 40" then in a couple years I can give full sized plants away.

My biggest ones are enornmous. Bushel basket sized easily. I find they move well too. Heard lots of warnings about brittle roots but I find they transplant nicely either before or after flowering. Probably not a good idea to move them while flowering.

Mish

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement