UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59211  
Subject: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/25/2009 4:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
The New Hampshire State Insurance Commissioner has an interesting website that allows you to check what various insurers and hospitals charge for common medical procedures.

http://www.nhhealthcost.org/default.aspx

I checked the data for a colonoscopy and found it ranged from $1,800 to $4,800 for someone without insurance.

I wonder how much conservative-approved, for-profit price gouging is going on in the $4,800 shop?

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22423 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/25/2009 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"I checked the data for a colonoscopy and found it ranged from $1,800 to $4,800 for someone without insurance.

I wonder how much conservative-approved, for-profit price gouging is going on in the $4,800 shop?"

Did you check to see whether one price was in rural areas and one was for 'downtown' city prices right outside Boston?

hmmmmmm????

Could it be that some docs aren't as good as others?

Maybe some so 'not so good' you wouldn't want to go to them? The type the VA hospital hires because no one else will hire them?

hmmmm??

t.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22426 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/25/2009 10:46 PM
Recommendations: 28
Maybe some so 'not so good' you wouldn't want to go to them? The type the VA hospital hires because no one else will hire them?

hmmmm??

Hmmmm. Indeed. I suspect you're Hmmmming because you don't know the lyrics.

Here are the words:

How Veterans' Hospitals Became the Best in Health Care

The VA runs the largest integrated health-care system in the country, with more than 1,400 hospitals, clinics and nursing homes employing 14,800 doctors and 61,000 nurses. And by a number of measures, this government-managed health-care program--socialized medicine on a small scale--is beating the marketplace. For the sixth year in a row, VA hospitals last year scored higher than private facilities on the University of Michigan's American Customer Satisfaction Index, based on patient surveys on the quality of care received. The VA scored 83 out of 100; private institutions, 71. Males 65 years and older receiving VA care had about a 40% lower risk of death than those enrolled in Medicare Advantage, whose care is provided through private health plans or HMOs, according to a study published in the April edition of Medical Care. Harvard University just gave the VA its Innovations in American Government Award for the agency's work in computerizing patient records.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1376238,00....

This is a song you might want to learn, because the one you're singing is extremely off-key and out-of-date.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22427 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/25/2009 11:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
"The VA runs the largest integrated health-care system in the country, with more than 1,400 hospitals, clinics and nursing homes employing 14,800 doctors and 61,000 nurses."

I have a friend who I worked with for 10 years.

He is working on a project at the VA hospital in Dallas.....

You think it is great? Every time he goes there, he tells of the people standing in the hall ways...hundreds of them...waiting to get an appointment to see a doctor. Not to see a doctor, but just stand in line to get an appointment to see a doctor some time in the future. It takes all day....or another day...just to get to the front of the line.

IT is always there...folks sitting on stairs....on the floor...day after day after day......

He's there on a project to replace the flood lights in the ceilings. The 150w reflector LEDs cost over $150 each....they are cost effective.

The way the VA hospital works...all union of course....the only time the government 'rules' allow light bulbs to be replaced is during 'off hours'....like 10pm to 6am...they pay double double overtime to the electricians union to change a light bulb in the ceiling. It costs over $150 to change a single lightbulb and there are thousands of them in the gigantic facility.

It is cost effective to put in LED bulbs at $150 each...since they will last 50,000 hrs instead of 1000 hours or so.......

That is 'government efficiency' at work.

I assume that is likely why they also have to charge $50 for a $2 bandage, and every other cost is so high..

Oh, and they have work rules about how many union members it takes to change a lightbulb (at least 2, plus a supervisor for the 'shift').........and they only work at 'slow speed' all night long.....

He tells me it looks like every single worker in the place goes at 'slow motion speed'......

Yep.....you don't have to tell me about it...I hear about the 100 person lines ........

I also have two friends who have to put up with the day long lines...and plan on spending 3 days to see a doctor when they need to see one..

Yep..the government can brag about 'their costs'....but that is done through 'waiting and waiting and waiting'......

Not providing quick, effective medical services. The folks don't have a choice...you wait..standard military..hurry up and wait..and wait...and wait...in line....

t.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22428 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 12:34 AM
I checked the data for a colonoscopy and found it ranged from $1,800 to $4,800 for someone without insurance.

I wonder how much conservative-approved, for-profit price gouging is going on in the $4,800 shop?

maybe for $4800, you get anesthesia ?

=b

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22430 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 9:57 AM
Recommendations: 18
I have a friend who I worked with for 10 years.

And so we should believe "your friend" rather than a six year history of a survey of VA hospital users, ranging thousands of interviews, and comparing them to other thousands of interviews with people in private care hospitals? And which demonstrate a significant difference in quality of care, with the VA hospitals ended up on top by a large margin?

No wonder you have such a screwed up view of everything. You'd rather quote "your friend" than look at objective evidence.

Oh, hey, I have a friend, too. He is pretty sure that large blue creatures from the planet Algernon are living in the ocean off the California coast. That's why the water appears blue.

And frankly, I'd give more credence to this friend than yours.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22431 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 12:35 PM
"And so we should believe "your friend" rather than a six year history of a survey of VA hospital users, ranging thousands of interviews, and comparing them to other thousands of interviews with people in private care hospitals? And which demonstrate a significant difference in quality of care, with the VA hospitals ended up on top by a large margin?"

Because he has spent about 10 days there at various times, and the situation is the same day after day after day with hundreds lining up in the hallways.......

When he asks why they are there...same answer...waiting in line to get an appointment to see 'a doctor'......

The place is also a mess...half the light bulbs don't work in the ceiling..they can't afford to pay the high price union folks $150 per bulb to change them at double double overtime.

The folks he has to work with could care less about anything. They have tenure for life and can't be fired for anything less than multiple murders committed with 20 witnesses......

remember our good friend mass murderer Dr . Hasan worked at a 'top end' military hospital...and his wonderful work ethic...missed 90% of his appointments (and that is after folks stood in line just to get an appointment)....couldn't be fired..... they got rid of him by transferring him...the standard way of the government in once place to 'rid themselves' of a bad employee.....and he was a doc.....so they shipped him off to Killeen TX (Ft Hood)....and he went on a terror raid..

oh, and he showed up late when he even bothered to show up.....

At least Obama managed to say 'terrorist plot'...on the airline bombing by the Nigerian Al Queda connected Xmas day bombing on the Northwest Airlines flight to Detroit.....

He couldn't manage to say it about Hasan, a fellow muslim...........

Folks thought that Obama had forgotten how to say 'muslim terrorist'.....apparently he has relearned the term, and 'unbanned it' from use by the Obama administration. That's your transparency in the Obama Admin.

You did catch that on xmas eve, they lifted the caps on the Freddie and Fannie fiasco? They were both approaching 200 BILLION in borrowing to bail themselves out....the gov't owns 80% of them with warrants to buy even a bigger percentage...

and what does the Obama admin do? Lifts the caps....on this essentially totally owned gov't entity.....so they can each go a trillion into the tax payers pocket...

and what else did Obama do? He gave the execs millions in salary (3 million each) plus extra millions in bonuses!....... for a gov't owned entity that is going to lose a trillion making loans that no sane bank would make to people who will default at a 50% rate! Forced to buy up the crap loans by the Obama administration?

And this got passed on xmas eve before the congress fled back home......

no shame at all when it comes to the lib dems....

Those top execs are essentially gov't employees and should be making the top $175,000 a year of typical gov't employees of their classification...and NO bonuses!.....

Obama has no exit strategy for them either...just more and more massive debt and bailing them out forever!.......

t.

t.

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22432 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 5
Goofyhoofy comments about tele:
No wonder you have such a screwed up view of everything. You'd rather quote "your friend" than look at objective evidence.

Tele needs to get laid -- badly.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22433 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 12:42 PM
"No wonder you have such a screwed up view of everything. You'd rather quote "your friend" than look at objective evidence."

You mean like Dodd telling us in 2003 that there is no way that Freddie and Fannie are acting irresponsibly?

When you believe more than 10% of what the government tells you in its white wash reports....well, you need to take off your rose colored glasses....

temsike: "Tele needs to get laid -- badly"

As if that is the solution to solve global warming hysteria, carbon tax and tax and tax, bailing out Freddie and Fannie each for a trillion, and fixing the escalating health care costs without the necessary tort reforms, providing competition across state lines, providing transparency in pricing, and requiring most folks to have decent co-pays to insure they realize what health services really cost.

t.

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22436 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 3:03 PM
Recommendations: 19
Interesting article,Goofyhoofy. I noticed,

In the past 10 years, the number of veterans receiving treatment from the VA has more than doubled, from 2.5 million to 5.3 million

while also saying on the same page, page 1, that,

IThe Iraq and Afghanistan wars could stress the system, although for
the moment VA officials say the agency can accommodate the new
patients. That's because older vets, especially those from the World
War II and Korean War eras, are dying of natural causes at the rate of
about 600,000 a year, whereas the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have so
far created a little more than 550,000 new vets.

They don't say so explicitly but if the huge increase didn't come from Iraq/Afghanistan, then where did the increase come from if not entirely or mostly, the phenomenon of "the reforms produced results, veterans began "voting with their feet," " they mention on page 2, perhaps?

In any case it's remarkable to read that

the number of veterans receiving treatment from the VA has more than doubled, from 2.5 million to 5.3 million, but the agency has cared for them with 10,000 fewer employees

and they still came out on top in the survey? It makes you wonder what would happen to the quality if they were not under-funded? If they were not asked to care for double the number of Vets with few employees but with the same or (in fair proportion) with more employees? The most reasonable conclusion is that they would have had even higher quality, lower waiting times, and even higher satisfaction...to think they "won" this contest with the private sector with such a disadvantage in staffing cuts!

All this could be funded without more government spending, but simply shifting existing spending away from militarism, and towards caring for veterans. Most of our military adventures and interventions not only didn't make us safer, but much worse, they've made us less safe.

Who funded Noriega? Our tax-dollars going to the CIA which funded him. Who funded and armed Saddam? Reagan/Bush Sr. And most amazingly, who funded the Taleban and its parent organization, the mujahideen? Not millions but billions of our tax dollars were spent by CIA and pentagon to arm the most fanatic maniacs they would find, thinking, that's morally acceptable and a 'reasonable' think to do since they thought arming less insane people against USSR might not 'work' as well...

Cut a few hundred billion from our bloated annual military budget going to wars and well over 100 military bases around the planet, then give the money freed up to improve the VA system, free childcare, free paid maternity and paternity leave and other features most civilized first world countries have. No need to give any of that money for a national nonprofit public health insurance system: that system would save hundreds of billions. But yes while we get single payer or 'Medicare for all' for the insurance, let's allow people to choose private hospitals as well as this improved better funded VA system and similar systems for non-vets with the freed up money. Maybe the private hospitals will actually shape up, or some of them, particularly the nonprofit ones who care about not next quarter's results but (the dirty commies!) about doctors who care for the patients' health and well-being. Oh yeah, re-direct someof the too-big-to-fail bank bailout money to further improve VA too, while we're at it.

Anyway, amazing to read the VA system beat out the privates despite having to do much more with less staff..!

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22437 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 3:07 PM
Recommendations: 12
Anyway all of this convinces me that the reason the ideologists of the Right are so against government programs, against the VA system, against the public option and insanely against Medicare for All (single payer) is not because they fear that those might not work well for patients...it's that they fear these things would work well for patients*

-edlbym

*but not work so well, for private for-profit corporations that would have made a buck while delivering lower quality outcomes

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22439 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/26/2009 9:07 PM
Recommendations: 9
temslike,

I have participated in grim graveyard style humor myself, so I am not pointing any fingers at you, but (other than my having relatives whose lives ended in real death camps) I think we can sometimes see the grim humor in it, but should leave the death camp talk to the right-wingers. Let's not forget Ann Coulter: anyone who disagreed with the rationale for the "war on terror" is a "traitor" and deserves death for it, for 'treason' was basically her line which, in this case, is nothing less than accurate to refer to her sentiments are eminently fascist ones (as I said, I have some personal family experience dealing with such ideologies). They are the party of misery and 'touch sh*t' for the weaker, the less well off, and the less well connected, but their more extreme right wingers are the party of death: death for our soldiers in wars based on lies, higher infant mortality deaths than other industralized countries with national health nonprofit 'medicare for all' type programs as a right of all for their citizens, more "death by HMO" and from shorter lives and on...

So tempting as it is to think about "let them ahve their own medicine", as a brief image in our minds, let's leave the death to their side..

..because, um, they've earned having it left on their side of the US political spectrum.

In other news, how do you spell hypocrisy? This is how:

GOP Lawmakers Change Tune on Costly Health Plans

Democrats are troubled by the inconsistency of Republican lawmakers who approved a major Medicare expansion six years ago that has added tens of billions of dollars to federal deficits, but oppose current health overhaul plans.

All current GOP senators, including the 24 who voted for the 2003 Medicare expansion, oppose the health care bill that's backed by President Barack Obama and most congressional Democrats.

The Democrats claim that their plan moving through Congress now will pay for itself with higher taxes and spending cuts and they cite the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office for support.

By contrast, when Republicans controlled the House, Senate and White House in 2003, they overcame Democratic opposition to add a deficit-financed prescription drug benefit to Medicare. The program will cost a half-trillion dollars over 10 years, or more by some estimates.

With no new taxes or spending offsets accompanying the Medicare drug program, the cost has been added to the federal debt.

Some Republicans say they don't believe the CBO's projections that the health care overhaul will pay for itself. As for their newfound worries about big government health expansions, they essentially say: That was then, this is now.

Six years ago, "it was standard practice not to pay for things," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. "We were concerned about it, because it certainly added to the deficit, no question." His 2003 vote has been vindicated, Hatch said, because the prescription drug benefit "has done a lot of good."

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, said those who see hypocrisy "can legitimately raise that issue." But he defended his positions in 2003 and now, saying the economy is in worse shape and Americans are more anxious.

Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, said simply: "Dredging up history is not the way to move forward."...

Some conservatives have no patience with such explanations.

"As far as I am concerned, any Republican who voted for the Medicare drug benefit has no right to criticize anything the Democrats have done in terms of adding to the national debt," said Bruce Bartlett, an official in the administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. He made his comments in a Forbes article titled "Republican Deficit Hypocrisy."

Bartlett said the 2003 Medicare expansion was "a pure giveaway" that cost more than this year's Senate or House health bills will cost. More important, he said, "the drug benefit had no dedicated financing, no offsets and no revenue-raisers. One hundred percent of the cost simply added to the federal budget deficit."

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9424862

Of course too many Democrats voted for that 2003 bill with the Higher Profits Enhancement Act type provisions that instead could have simply modified Medicare to cover prescriptions or other saner solutions..But the Republican hypocrisy that they are against spending billions? Really? When they are for 7 trillion in militarism over the next ten years, in which every year we spend as much as the rest of the world put together (allied and enemies combined) and tax cuts for the richest 12,000 families but they don't like 900 billion over the same 10 years for health reform? And of course they can spend huge sums on the "the goverment promises not to negotiate best rates on drugs" bills to pass, but not on single payer which would cost zero, in fact have a net savings? Tell us again with a straight face how it's the "deficits" you're so concerned about, Republicans? Not much has chanced since Reagan came in screaming about the deficit being too high, then spend-and-borrwing his way to making it far higher. Remember folks: deficits and huge spending are ok for enriching drug companies and for making wars to let our young men and women die in based on lies; but deficits and spending are bad, bad, bad, if it goes to anything under public control, in the nonprofit realm, or some commie do-gooder idea like helping American kids, American seniors, veterans, mothers, fathers, etc to get better health, education, etc...that's a no-no, says the party of "Family (must....keep...straight...face..) Values"

Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22445 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/27/2009 2:38 PM
I meant what I said about not throwing any stones at the post I was replying to, and did not report it, I guess someone else did (I don't think fool.com allows one to delete one's own posts so that's the only other option)

If the original author did, or if someone did who objected to joking about a 'final solution' , that's understandable as reasons; I was it wasn't merely "only the right is allowed to joke about executing its political opposition, your side isn't" wrong reasons, but the right reasons to object. Anyway, we can move on, just wanted to state these two things.

Message 22438: "The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service:
http://www.fool.com/help/index.htm?display=community04 "

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22447 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 12/27/2009 3:22 PM
I meant what I said about not throwing any stones at the post I was replying to, and did not report it, I guess someone else did (I don't think fool.com allows one to delete one's own posts so that's the only other option)

some VERY sensitive little souls read this board.

you can report and have your own posts yanked (only sort of editiing allowed)

-

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22783 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 6:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
Yep.....you don't have to tell me about it...I hear about the 100 person lines ........

I also have two friends who have to put up with the day long lines...and plan on spending 3 days to see a doctor when they need to see one..

10 years ago, I experienced long lines at the VA. Before I was really "in" the system, there were long waits for even initial appointments.

But, since being dubbed "service connected disabled" above a certain percentage, my experience has been first rate.

I've also seen a vast improvement in the last 5 years on the processing of appointments, staying on schedule, etc.

The VA system isn't perfect, but it's much better than the service I've been getting for my kid on the open market.

Ishtar
(vet that actually uses the VA, not someone who knows someone)

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22785 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 9:06 PM
I've also seen a vast improvement in the last 5 years on the processing of appointments, staying on schedule, etc.

The VA system isn't perfect, but it's much better than the service I've been getting for my kid on the open market.

Ishtar
(vet that actually uses the VA, not someone who knows someone)

</snip>

Please don't confuse tele with actual facts. It bothers him.

intercst

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22786 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 9:14 PM
Please don't confuse tele with actual facts. It bothers him.

intercst

Naaah, it doesn't.

Count Uptoten

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22787 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 9:17 PM
Naaah, it doesn't.

doesn't even notice.

=

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22788 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 9:57 PM
I seem to recall tales of horror about the service being rendered to Vets several years ago. Apparently that nice President Bush corrected those problems when they became apparent and President Obama has inherited a system now ticking like a fine Swiss watch ---- were watches to tick rather than being in cell phones these days.

Like many aspects of government, things get neglected and go to pot. If they catch the eye and ear of powerful interest groups, they can be corrected.

If they don't, well ---- out of sight, out of mind. Consumers of government services often have little to say about what they are offered.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22789 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/13/2010 10:23 PM
"The VA system isn't perfect, but it's much better than the service I've been getting for my kid on the open market."

Yeah...it isn't perfect.

Major Hassan was one of the few pysch doctors at Walter Reed. He didn't show up for 90% of his appointments...but they didn't dare 'discipline' him since he was a protected minority ( a muslim)

Of the patients he did bother to see..most were dissastisfied.

You really mean to tell me how great the VA health care system was/is?

THis just happened.

He's the islamo nut who went beserk in Ft Hood TX. They knew all along he was bonders, was missing 90% of his appointments...but did nothing

Typical government 'efficiency' and you can't fire government workers even if totally incompetent.....and they are your doctors and nurses....

Oh..and now the 'cover up'........Major Hassan will be 'let go' with nary a trace of publicity...given a 'year of counciling'....then 'dismissed' from the obligations he signed up for and cashiered out finally from the military......

And probably move to some lib state, get his license to practice medicine in between bombing government buildings...

Your VA healthcare at work.

t.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22799 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 1:12 PM
Recommendations: 3

Major Hassan was one of the few pysch doctors at Walter Reed. He didn't show up for 90% of his appointments...but they didn't dare 'discipline' him since he was a protected minority ( a muslim)

I'm not at Walter Reed, I'm in CA.

I can't speak for the entire system, only what I see of it. And here's what I see:

The psych doctor I see (and have been seeing since 2002) is a minority and he's fabulous.

The psych doctor I saw in Fl in '98 was a white guy and he was awful.

The psych doctor I saw in San Diego in 2000 was a white woman who was fabulous, but her schedule was overloaded.

Yes.

Do you know how many doctors the VA employs nationwide? I can't find a number right now, but safe to say more than a couple dozen. And out of all of them, one of them was a problem big enough to make the news. Wow. Like all postal employees must be horrible because of a couple that "went postal" 20 years ago? Seriously?

Ishtar

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22801 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 2:53 PM
Ishtar: "
Do you know how many doctors the VA employs nationwide? I can't find a number right now, but safe to say more than a couple dozen. And out of all of them, one of them was a problem big enough to make the news. Wow. Like all postal employees must be horrible because of a couple that "went postal" 20 years ago? Seriously?"

The system protects bad doctors.

Even worse, he had been cleared for 'top secret' security clearance because superiors overruled any request for an actual background check. He had to be 'protected' since he was a selected minority......in favor.....

It only takes a small percentage of bad docs that are protected and not gotten rid of to kill a lot of people.

t.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22802 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 4:35 PM
Recommendations: 2
shtarastarte writes,

Do you know how many doctors the VA employs nationwide? I can't find a number right now, but safe to say more than a couple dozen. And out of all of them, one of them was a problem big enough to make the news. Wow. Like all postal employees must be horrible because of a couple that "went postal" 20 years ago? Seriously?

</snip>

Why are you blaming Major Hassan on the VA? Wasn't he an active duty Army doctor working on soldiers getting ready to be deployed? I doubt he saw many VA patients and he certainly wasn't employed by the VA.

intercst

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22803 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 5:53 PM
You're right. I was stupid to go along w/ tele's line of thought.

AAARRGGH! hate that.

Ishtar

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22804 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 5:58 PM
intercst:"Why are you blaming Major Hassan on the VA? Wasn't he an active duty Army doctor working on soldiers getting ready to be deployed? I doubt he saw many VA patients and he certainly wasn't employed by the VA."

For most of his 'military' career, he was at Walter Reed hospital...a 'premier hospital' of the VA system...

and he was treating returning soldiers from the Middle East who were suffering from battle fatigue and stress related illnesses.

It was only after he got shuffled to TX.......you see in government they can't fire you...so they transfer you to a less prestigious post...they sent him to Ft Hood TX....... where he suddenly realized he was going to get shipped to Iraq/Afghanistan...to treat soldiers there...and he went 'terrorist'...islamo terrorists...

Of course, he should never have been transferred..he should have been committed himself......

He wanted 'out' of the corps....after getting a half million in medical training, in typical coward fashion, he was attempting to get himself fired...didn't show up for 90% of appointments. He wanted out so he could go off and make $250,000 a year or more......with the tax payer having funded his medical education.....

He had years more to serve to pay for the deal he got.

Instead, when it turned out they wouldn't let him out early....and his attempts to get fired by not working failed.......and even worse, got him transferred to where he would be deployed....

He went islamo-nuts.......

He should have been put on KP the moment they found out he was talking with the radical islamo-fascist 'Imam' in Yemen..the one who had trained the other terror bombers and islamo-nuts. To work off his obligation..preferably in Iraq..or Afghanistan....

t.

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22805 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 6:58 PM
You're right. I was stupid to go along w/ tele's line of thought.

AAARRGGH! hate that.

Why does this remind me of this skit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMMBUVW49o

Count Uptoten

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22807 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 8:48 PM
The psych doctor I saw in San Diego in 2000 was a white woman who was fabulous, but her schedule was overloaded.

Yes.

a good friend who's a heavy user of VA says it's mostly about accessibility ..and that's largely an urban/rural thing.

sort of ironic ..the VA system got better during Bush Admmin ,but they can't claim any credit since that would be admiting SOME good in a SOCIALIZT system

=

... iirc, Walter Reed isn't VA

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22808 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/15/2010 8:54 PM
"a good friend who's a heavy user of VA says it's mostly about accessibility ..and that's largely an urban/rural thing."

Many of the outlying VA facilities are getting closed down. WHen they close down the military facility nearby...there go the VA facilities as well. They shut down the AFB in Abilene....and the VA moved out of there...you had to go 200 miles to FT Worth or Dallas.....

I'm sure it's true all around the country.....things are consolidated to the major cities....and long lines and waits with 'Hasan' types there...

"sort of ironic ..the VA system got better during Bush Admmin ,but they can't claim any credit since that would be admiting SOME good in a SOCIALIZT system"

Just take out the 'waste and abuse'....get some folks who actually work.....get the dead wood out...easy to fix if you can get the union goons off your back....and not have to pay outrageous fees and salaries to just get the toilets cleaned and light bulbs changed.

Yeah...Walter Reed is in Bethesda...a hop, skip and jump from downtown DC, right......and 5 miles from VA....

t

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22810 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/16/2010 12:51 AM
Recommendations: 2

Many of the outlying VA facilities are getting closed down. WHen they close down the military facility nearby...there go the VA facilities as well. They shut down the AFB in Abilene....and the VA moved out of there...you had to go 200 miles to FT Worth or Dallas.....

Misinformation again.

The VA facility I use is located on a former AFB that's been closed more than a decade.

There's a brand new wing, new out buildings and they've updated the old wing.

Ishtar

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22811 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/16/2010 2:06 AM
<<Many of the outlying VA facilities are getting closed down. WHen they close down the military facility nearby...there go the VA facilities as well. They shut down the AFB in Abilene....and the VA moved out of there...you had to go 200 miles to FT Worth or Dallas.....

Misinformation again.>>

Not necessarily. It may be that when military bases are closed, adjoining VA hospitals are sometimes, or perhaps often, closed.

Sounds like you were fortunate, or perhaps lucky to have yours stay open.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22812 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/16/2010 2:33 AM

Not necessarily. It may be that when military bases are closed, adjoining VA hospitals are sometimes, or perhaps often, closed.

Well. .. . not really.

I've moved often.

I moved here after I was diagnosed, so moving somewhat near a facility was a must.

There are people I was in a group with that drove an hour or more to get to the facility, so it isn't as convenient for everyone.

But to imply that they all closed when the bases closed is incorrect.

There's several bases in this area that all closed. There's still a VA hospital and another facility on a different former base here.

Ishtar

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22813 of 59211
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Health Costs Transparency Date: 1/16/2010 2:50 AM
But to imply that they all closed when the bases closed is incorrect.

There's several bases in this area that all closed. There's still a VA hospital and another facility on a different former base here.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=28233176

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement