No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello. I'm new, although I used to be a member long long ago (8+yrs). My husband and I have 5 credit cards between us. He has 3, I have 2. One of his has a zero balance (limit $400), one has a $56 balance (limit $500) and one has a $200 balance (limit $500). I have two... one is almost maxed out at $390, with a $400 limit, and the other has a $50 balance with a $400 limit.

So, my questions are... we have scheduled payments so that we can get the three cards with high balances near zero in the next two months. Once we're at that low or no balance, what is the best thing to do? We have kinda crappy cards, since we're only 2.5 years out of bankruptcy. They don't have very high limits, and the interest rates are miserable, I think all of them are over 22%. except one at 18%. The zero balance card for my husband is awful. They charge a high annual fee and the interest rate is 23.9%. Since it's zero, should we either A. Cancel it, or B. Request a lower rate and lower/no annual fee? And if they refuse to alter the terms, should we still cancel? I hate paying a annual fee of $55 or $75 (can't remember) for a card we're not even using. I sent them an email, but have had no response yet... that card is www.rewardzonemastercard.com

Also, is it a good idea to pay my utility bill with my credit card, and then pay off the card? In order to show activity on the card, Assuming of course, that I do pay it and not leave a balance on the card? I want to build our credit UP as best as possible. We just re-fi'd our house from a land contract to a regular mortgage and we want to be in a good position to buy some investment property soon. So we're wanting to make our credit as good as possible.

Lastly, one of my cards offered me an increase in my credit limit of $100, but there was an associated fee. Is this normal? I declined it, since I just want to pay it OFF and not really use it again, since it is not a good card... no rewards and high fees/interest rate. I had never heard of a card charging a fee to increase your credit limit. From their website, it seems like a card for suckers (no offense intended to anyone) but the website interface is very juvenile and is always offering a new card-look (for a fee) and a new this or that (for a fee) and they won't let you schedule payments online in advance, so I have to log in each month to pay, and there's no ability to schedule or plan ahead. Anyway, I've never heard of a card charging to increase your limit. It's a credit one bank card. www.creditonebank.com
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement