Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bdurden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
have looked at the foolish 13 steps and have selected a discount broker (Ameritrade). They are sending information packet.
would like to invest 20,000 in stocks to better improve my returns from cd. cd came due yesterday.
i would like to invest in the foolish four.
any suggestions.
like is it a good time now?
etc?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

bdurden sez:
<<<i would like to invest in the foolish four.
any suggestions.
like is it a good time now? etc?>>>

You can get all kinds of advice as follows:
Invest in increments (dollar cost averaging).
Do not try to time the market as to when it will go up or down.
Invest in some bonds for income and stability.
The P/E ratios are still too high (20 to 40 and up).
Invest in quality companies with P/E's near 14.
Look for FF boards that have discussions on asset allocation and investing AFTER retirement (not much info available).
I think it is a good time to invest carefully, take your time and learn as much as you can about the companies and their future first.
H.

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 5:28 PM
bdurden,
Another thought -- BUY LOW AND SELL HIGH.

Check out the last two to five years perfomance of the stocks you are interested in.
Will you be buying at their highs or are you buying at lower prices?
Are they consistent earners?
H.

Author: hotfoot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 233 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 5:43 PM
bdurden,
ANOTHER thought.
Look at the INDEX FUNDS that exist.
Might want to go there first and play the FF4 or BTD games just on paper for a while. Find out how they work and perform. In the meantime, your money is invested in a large number of stocks for good security. (Sim to a mutual fund).
H.

Author: RABBLE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 235 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 7:45 PM
Dear new investor Please do yourself a big favor and do not put more than half your nest egg in the market now. If it goes up sell some off. If it goes down buy some more. Also start with a good solid co. that will not tank and go belly up. For starters look at F.
lots of luck
Rabble

Author: RABBLE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 236 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 7:48 PM
Dear new investor
Hotfoots post 231 is good advice also.
Rabble

Author: RABBLE Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 237 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/29/1998 7:53 PM
New investor
Oops post 233 is where Hotfoot and I dissagree. Fund is a four letter word If you get my drift.
Rabble

Author: oldred22 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 238 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/30/1998 12:25 AM
H wrote in part:
Look for FF boards that have discussions on asset allocation and investing AFTER retirement (not much info available).

And I have to agree with all he said mostly this part.

Well maybe also mostly the part about study, be careful, and learn.

But you sure found a good place to learn some.

And if I may, I find that asset allocation has lots of problems but that is another story for another time.
And I am just commenting on this as it relates to me personally, not H's input.

oldred22

Author: bowledover Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/31/1998 6:18 PM
Hi, may I suggest you read a couple of books first - Lynch, MF Investment Guide and/or Shear's "Unemotional Investor." Then, read the Workshop board and the Dow board. Don't rush. Look at some of the alternative "mechanical screens" - again, see the workshop and the board. Most everybody agrees with don't try and time the market; however, the Fool research (and others) shows that late Dec, very early Jan., hold for a year, is the best starting time for the FF, its variations, and, I think but not positive, all the good yearly mechanical screens. B.

Author: bowledover Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 248 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 10/31/1998 6:21 PM
P.S. BEFORE you sign up with any broker read the 'broker' board here, and, see the "www.gomez.com" web site for a very good ranking system. Ameritrade seemingly does not have a good rep..

Author: bdurden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 249 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 11/1/1998 10:29 AM
hi
thanks for the advice.
have considered an index fund. what do you think about the vanguard s&p 500?
i have read that you could invest in this fund without a fee. is this true?

Author: bdurden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 250 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 11/1/1998 10:46 AM
hi
thanks for the advise.
have 1/3 in cd's, 1/3 in morgage reduction, and the other third is the 20,000 for the stock market.
could divide this further into vanguard fund, foolish four, etc. what do you recommend?

Author: bdurden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 11/1/1998 10:51 AM
hi
i thought being careful would be investing in the foolish four. the research is done, the stocks are picked, and the approach has a proven track record.

why look any further? ten to fifteen minutes a year sound like a good deal. the track record is most impressive. do you have any money in the foolish four?
bd

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 256 of 19221
Subject: Re: new investor Date: 11/3/1998 1:29 PM
have considered an index fund. what do you think about the vanguard s&p 500?
i have read that you could invest in this fund without a fee. is this true?

It's true. Check out their web site at:

http://www.vanguard.com

But first read the 13 steps at http://www.fool.com/school.htm then make you decision.

Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement