UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jbrowell Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: New Investor Date: 10/6/1999 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am 24 years old and make a good living and would like some ideas from you on the best way to start investing. I currently invest 6% into a 401k through my employer. Other than a 401k what is the best thing to do for a new investor
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14288 of 76418
Subject: Re: New Investor Date: 10/6/1999 4:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
See message 14276.

Max your 401K and an IRA or Roth IRA. After that look into a long term buy and hold stock strategy in a taxable brokerage account and/or a tax managed index fund such as those from Vanguard.

Author: GrayWulff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14291 of 76418
Subject: Re: New Investor Date: 10/6/1999 5:14 PM
Max your 401K and an IRA or Roth IRA. After that look into a long term buy and hold stock strategy in a taxable brokerage account and/or a tax managed index fund such as those from Vanguard.

pauleckler,

Why do you like the tax managed index fund better? Vanguard's Index 500 fund, VFINX, is so tax efficient that I've never bothered to look much further.

Cheers,
GW

Author: GrayWulff Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14292 of 76418
Subject: Re: New Investor Date: 10/6/1999 5:21 PM
Jbrowell,

Let me second pauleckler's advice, max out your IRA opportunities. Personally, I prefer Vanguard's Index 500 fund, VFINX to the tax managed version.

Do read The Fool School's 13 steps. There is a link at the bottom of the homepage. Take your time before deciding what to invest in. At least read the thirteen steps.

Then if you just can't wait, call Vanguard, and ask them to send you a prospectus and an application. You could do far worse.

Cheers,
GW

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14296 of 76418
Subject: Re: New Investor Date: 10/6/1999 9:02 PM
Definitely go for the Roth IRA. In my opionion it's the ONLY good thing that Congress has done for America in the past 10 years.

Don't give a second thought on "paying" taxes on the money you're going to invest. Remember all the "tax free" money you have at the end of it all. At your age, it litterally could be millions, TAX FREE!

JLC

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14301 of 76418
Subject: Re: New Investor Date: 10/7/1999 9:58 AM
GW,

agreed that index funds are reasonably tax efficient. There are tax managed funds out there that new investors should consider. I don't have personal experience with them.

Paul

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement