UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66219  
Subject: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wonder if it fixes a serious flaw in the old one.

Some of us backup iDevices to both iCloud and a local computer.

But when we need to do a restore from backup, old iTunes presents a list backups by date, but no hint whether a backup is from iCloud or the computer.

This knowledge is important because backing up from iCloud, at least in my experience, destroys the folder organization of my apps, but backing up from the computer retains folder organization.

So does iTunes 11 provide any flags in the restore from backup window which would indicate the source of backup files?

J
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61615 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 4:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I rejected the new iTunes when 1poorkid couldn't find the "display duplicates" option. As soon as I saw that, I said "no thank you".

It's been a while since I looked at it, but one of my projects has been to eliminate the dupes. They just eat disk space. Why do I need "Proud Mary" from two different albums? I should get back to it and finish it. Then maybe I can accept the "upgrade".

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61616 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 4:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
John you need to spend some time reading about Backup and Restore in Apple's Support section. As far as I know, where your backup comes from is determined by how you Restore. Restore with a wire and you get a backup from your PC. Restore from the iOS device wirelessly and it is from the iCloud.

Since you are asking about restoring form iTunes, I think you are restoring via a wire -- that would mean you are obtaining backups from your PC.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61618 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 7:04 PM
So does iTunes 11 provide any flags in the restore from backup window which would indicate the source of backup files?

I had to restore my iPod Touch this morning in iTunes 11, and it gave me two options - restore from iCloud or restore from computer backup. I didn't get a list of backups by date, but I didn't look for one - it may have been there. (I don't backup to iCloud but it still asked me which way I wanted to restore.)

I had a lot of issues with iTunes this morning. I was still under iTunes 10 and my iPod Touch refused to sync - it kept failing at the waiting to sync stage, then all my music and videos disappeared from my iPod. I decided to upgrade to iTunes 11 to see if it helped, and syncing still failed - I had to restore the iPod software and then restore everything. I got everything back in the end, but some of my apps seemed to lose their data - for example, my Kindle app lost all the books I'd loaded from Calibre and I had to reload them. Happily, after I did the restore I was able to sync without any more problems.

Karen

Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61619 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 7:50 PM
I had to restore my iPod Touch this morning in iTunes 11, and it gave me two options - restore from iCloud or restore from computer backup.

Ah, that is good to know. Thanks,

J

Author: JohnMMM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61620 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/3/2012 7:56 PM
Restore with a wire and you get a backup from your PC. Restore from the iOS device wirelessly and it is from the iCloud.

If this is the way it is supposed to work, my experience is contrary to that.

I've always been connected by wire whenever I need to Restore, and some of the time my folder organization of apps was destroyed. I assumed that situation was caused by a Restore that came from the Cloud, but can't prove that.

When a Restore occurred from a listed date which I knew was from the computer my folder organization of apps was retained. Hence I am nervous about Restore in iTunes 10 because it is like working in the dark.

J

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61624 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/4/2012 1:19 PM
To Restore from the Cloud you must have one of two situations:

#1 No Wire (and backups exist in the cloud)
#2 Restore with wire and No Backups Exist on your PC.

Regarding #2, I am not sure that will work, but if it does you would certainly have to enter your Apple ID and Password before you could access your iCloud account.

Regarding #2 - this is done via the Reset Menus under General.

I understand you have it in your mind the Cloud caused your failure to get folders for Apps back. I don't have evidence that it true.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: huibs Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61625 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/4/2012 2:02 PM
..hey, quick question..

..in iTunes, after I've hooked up my iOS device, the software gives me two options, 1) back up to iCloud, or 2) back up to this computer..

..can I merely toggle between them to choose both options?..

..thanks..

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61626 of 66219
Subject: Re: New iTunes Date: 12/4/2012 2:33 PM
..in iTunes, after I've hooked up my iOS device, the software gives me two options, 1) back up to iCloud, or 2) back up to this computer..

..can I merely toggle between them to choose both options?..

Yes you can, but I stumbled on a simpler way for my purposes -- which may be different that yours.

I prefer to keep my backups on my PC (I can keep multiple Backups via TimeMachine, Restore is much faster via the wire, and if I needed to it is possible to crack open the backup and recover individual files such as images.) But being conservative regarding Backups, I feel better to have an "Ace in the Hole" just incase -- i.e. an iCloud backup.

The easier approach for me is to Set my iOS devices to Backup to the PC. Be sure to sync so that option is "set" both in iTunes and on your iOS device(s). Then periodically, I take my iOS device and drill down (Settings; iCloud; Backup & Storage - where I can toggle Yes to iCloud backup. I immediately make a backup and then revert to iCloud Backup "Off"

Gordon
Atlanta

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement