Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RoseSmeller One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: New Jersey part-year return Date: 3/13/2003 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any New Jersey folks here?

One of my VITA clients (a teenager, dependent with a couple part time jobs) spent a few months in New Jersey last year and has a W-2 from a job there. Can anyone give me some quick info on New Jersey state income tax rules?

Does New Jersey have a state income tax?

If nothing was withheld, what's the minimum income required to file?

If tax was withheld, is there a web site with a part year return and instructions?

Any gotchas I should watch out for? I could tell her this is not part of VITA and she's on her own, but I'd like to help if it's not overly complicated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64503 of 121061
Subject: Re: New Jersey part-year return Date: 3/13/2003 6:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Yup, unfortunately.

One of my VITA clients (a teenager, dependent with a couple part time jobs) spent a few months in New Jersey last year and has a W-2 from a job there. Can anyone give me some quick info on New Jersey state income tax rules?

Does New Jersey have a state income tax?

Yup, a gross income tax. No negative numbers, very few deductions.

If nothing was withheld, what's the minimum income required to file?

$10,000 gross income (as defined by NJ) regardless of where the income was sourced.

If tax was withheld, is there a web site with a part year return and instructions?

Yes, www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation . You'll have to click through to forms and instructions. You can download .pdf files. You cannot file a nonresident return online.

Any gotchas I should watch out for? I could tell her this is not part of VITA and she's on her own, but I'd like to help if it's not overly complicated.

Other than the fact that NJ taxes don't follow federal rules, nothing I can think of.

Author: RoseSmeller One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64505 of 121061
Subject: Re: New Jersey part-year return Date: 3/13/2003 7:59 PM
Thank you, Ira!

I've looked through the state tax web site, downloaded some forms and mail ordered others (though I don't know if I'll get them in time). If you would confirm what I've found so far I'd appreciate it.

First, it looks like the taxpayer is a non-resident, not a part year resident. She's 18, finished high school and started college last year living in Virginia with her parents. She spent the summer with relatives in New Jersey. Since she always had a home in Virginia and never intended to stay in New Jersey, it looks to me like she is a full year non-resident.

Regardless of whether she's a part-year resident or a full-year non-resident, if her total income for the year is less than $10,000 (and I'm almost certain it was) she'll owe no taxes. If NJ taxes were withheld, she'll have to file to get a refund and may have to include a copy of her federal return showing <$10,000 AGI.

Finally, it looks like there's no way to download an NJ-1040 form as these must be machine readable. The pdf says "Sample only - do not submit" all over it. So if she is a part year resident, she'll have to wait till a form comes in the mail to file.

Does this seem right?

Author: FAEZ Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64507 of 121061
Subject: Re: New Jersey part-year return Date: 3/13/2003 8:54 PM

Yup, unfortunately.

Hey, Ira, my wife and I retired to Oregon from New Jersey. And actually, the income taxes here are worse than in New Jersey. Of course there's no sales tax.

Oh, and my son went to Stevens, class of '94.

Small world, eh? ;-)

Andy

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64509 of 121061
Subject: Re: New Jersey part-year return Date: 3/13/2003 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
First, it looks like the taxpayer is a non-resident, not a part year resident. She's 18, finished high school and started college last year living in Virginia with her parents. She spent the summer with relatives in New Jersey. Since she always had a home in Virginia and never intended to stay in New Jersey, it looks to me like she is a full year non-resident.

Agreed...non-resident.

Regardless of whether she's a part-year resident or a full-year non-resident, if her total income for the year is less than $10,000 (and I'm almost certain it was) she'll owe no taxes. If NJ taxes were withheld, she'll have to file to get a refund and may have to include a copy of her federal return showing <$10,000 AGI.

I don't believe she has to submit a copy of the federal return, but I haven't filed a NJ-1040-NR in a while.

Finally, it looks like there's no way to download an NJ-1040 form as these must be machine readable. The pdf says "Sample only - do not submit" all over it. So if she is a part year resident, she'll have to wait till a form comes in the mail to file.

You CAN download the form. You chose the resident form which is machine scannable. You want to download the NJ-1040NR which is an ordinary .pdf file. You can print and file it.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement