UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MEG Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: new job 403b offered Date: 3/5/2003 9:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My son 23 yrs old.. just got new job, he's offered a 403b
he was given literature on Franklin Templeton's funds. He can invest in just about any of the funds All have different classes A ,B ,B1 ,C.

Any suggestions on which fund to choose first and which class.
Or should he start with a Money market fund to build up a balance first or go right into an equity fund?
I'd hate for him to pay commissions on retirement money.

Or can he use another company..any suggestions on a no load way to go.
Please help me to know what to consuder for him..
Is there a way he can use a noload company and how can he go about it?
thanks

MEG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: yobria Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35831 of 76384
Subject: Re: new job 403b offered Date: 3/6/2003 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First, please congratulate your son on beginning to earn, save, and invest at such a young age, especially in this economy. He's a good light year ahead of most 23 year olds. (Yeah I know he owes it all to you.)

Does his 403(b) plan offer employer matching? If so he should first contribute enough to capture 100% of the matching funds offered. Beyond that, I would open a Roth IRA (point him to www.vanguard.com- he can open an account online) and contribute the full $3,000 before contributing non-matched 403(b) funds. Ideally he'd max out both his Roth and his 403(b) plans.

Next, he should invest in stocks or stock mutual funds, which will outperform other asset classes given his 50 year (!) time horizon.

Which funds? He needs to call the 403(b) plan administrator and ask for the names and expense ratios of each of their no-load equity offerings. Then pick the one with the lowest fees.

Nick

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement