UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75532  
Subject: New job question Date: 11/25/2004 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a question and would appreciate any help from the Fools here. DH is interviewing for a new position - it's a long term consulting position. He's a consultant now, but the new company apparently takes a much lower chunk of his hourly rate than his existing one.

Anyway, that's not the question. The new company offers him two pay options: 1) they pay him net, remit all his taxes, offer him healthcare benefits, and a 401(k) with 50% of first 6% match or 2) they give him $7 more an hour, but all tax remittance is our responsibility, his health insurance is his responsibility, and there is no 401(k).

So, in the table below, I've included 40 hours for 4 weeks at the two pay levels. I've added the 3% match to the lower as an increase. I've assumed $38 bi monthly for his premiums (that's same as mine) or the additional $51 adding him to my plan would cost for option 2. Finally, I've subtracted the lost tax benefit of the $14K 401(k) contribution if he takes option 2. I realize he can utilize a TIRA, but then loses the Roth option, so I've left it out. And, it's only $3K per year.

$45/hr $52/hr
Pay per month 7,200 8,320
3% 401-k match 216 0
Health Insurance (76) (102)
Lack of 401-k tax 0 (2,800) >assumes $14K contrib. (20% tax)
7,340 5,418

Without looking at any numbers, he just gut-feeling believes option 1 is better - less hassle with taxes, SS, etc. and the 401(k). After running the number, I think I agree.

Are we missing anything? If my calculations are correct, it appears it doesn't break even until he gets to a $19/hour differential. Seems odd.

I guess it could work if he set up a separate company and formed a SEP IRA?

TIA
3MM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement