UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65706  
Subject: New Mac mini-Partion Question Date: 12/13/2012 2:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Got an incredible deal on a new Mac Mini. It was an open box item that normally cost $799 but Best Buy sold it me for $499 (with coupons). I figure it was a great way to enter the Mac world and slowly leave Windows behind.

It came with a 1 TB hard drive with Mountain Lion.

I need to run Windows. I have VMware. My options are to just install Windows 7 into VMware or to use boot camp and then use VMware. Which method is better?

If I go with boot camp, how do I partition an existing drive to put Windows on it and how do I install it from ML? I have already downloaded the Win 7 iso.

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61669 of 65706
Subject: Re: New Mac mini-Partion Question Date: 12/13/2012 3:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Best bet is to start with VMWare using a virtual partition. If you have problems with that, then look into using Boot Camp. The only advantage to using VMWare with a Boot Camp partition is if you need to sometimes run native (direct Boot Camp), and sometimes virtual (VMWare) using the same windows install.

If you do need to partition the drive, the Boot Camp Assistant does it. It'll also prompt you for a disk to put the drivers on, then it'll boot from a DVD. You'll need that Windows iso on a DVD or a flash drive.

joe

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61672 of 65706
Subject: Re: New Mac mini-Partion Question Date: 12/13/2012 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
First: You need lots of RAM to run a Windows virtual machine with decent performance. How much RAM does your mini have?

If you run a virtual machine configured with 2GB of RAM, then VMware will use 2GB of RAM plus whatever overhead the VMware app itself needs.

I'd say 4GB is the bare minimum for using a virtual machine, and more is better. (I have 8GB, and that works nicely.)

Of course, it also depends on whether or not you like to leave multiple apps open simultaneously. I do, so more RAM is better.

The downside of using Bootcamp is this:
If you do NOT use Bootcamp, then VMware can suspend your Windows virtual machine when you quit VMware. And then just resume that virtual machine the next time you launch VMware.

But if you use VMware with Bootcamp, you'll need to shut Windows down every time you quit VMware.

Author: hookemfins Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61674 of 65706
Subject: Re: New Mac mini-Partion Question Date: 12/13/2012 9:53 PM
First: You need lots of RAM to run a Windows virtual machine with decent performance. How much RAM does your mini have?

If you run a virtual machine configured with 2GB of RAM, then VMware will use 2GB of RAM plus whatever overhead the VMware app itself needs.

I'd say 4GB is the bare minimum for using a virtual machine, and more is better. (I have 8GB, and that works nicely.)

It came with 4GB but I increased it to 8GB. I thought about going to the max of 16GB.

I started the bootcamp process but I will remove it. I didn't know about suspend and bootcamp.

If I use the migration tool for VMware, can I transfer windows, settings and just the programs that I'll need? I just need 2 programs.

Thanks

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61680 of 65706
Subject: Re: New Mac mini-Partion Question Date: 12/14/2012 12:49 PM
can I transfer windows, settings and just the programs that I'll need?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I use Parallels, not VMware, and since I wasnt migrating from an exiting Windows setup, I installed Windows and my apps from scratch,

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement