UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (134) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFKnave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 376  
Subject: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
For the last several months, we've been working on new member pages that will eventually replace the current discussion board profile pages.

These pages include:

1. A wider variety of personal finance and investing-related information.
2. A real-time activity feed showing members' actions throughout the Fool site.
3. Detailed stats and data from CAPS, boards, and soon-to-be other areas of the Fool.

To view your beta profile page, visit:

http://my.fool.com/profile

And to view someone else's page, visit (for example, TMFBreakerDave):

http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFBreakerDave/activity.aspx

Just replace the Fool member name in the URL with the name of the Fool you wish to view.

These pages have not been officially launched to the site or integrated anywhere else other than announced here and perhaps soon on a blog. When viewing these, keep in mind the following:

1. These pages are still very much in development. Our activity feed currently includes CAPS picks/pitches and board posts/replies/recs. We will soon extend the feed to cover blog posts/replies/recs, article comments/recs, wiki entries, and perhaps more.

2. We currently do not provide an aggregate feed for your friends/favorites, however that is something we hope to do very soon. We also hope to aggregate the entire favorites experience to include boards, CAPS, and Fool.com. Obviously you can still view a friend's activity by simply going to their page.

3. You may notice that message board recommendations are part of the feed. We feel that this will make it very easy for people to find great content on our boards. Previously these actions have been invisible on the site, and since this is a new feature, we are working on a way to allow users to remove or hide recs if they so wish. We'd like to hear your feedback on this.

4. The feed is not filtered, but you will eventually be able to view or ignore certain types of actions.

5. We are supporting the uploading of custom avatars through Gravatar.com. You can change your avatar on your profile page. This will not be incorporated into the message boards, as we want to keep the boards focused on the quality of the text. Your Fool avatar will eventually display in your activity feed, profile page, CAPS, and Fool.com article comments.

6. There’s a spot at the top of your activity feed where you can enter what’s going on right now or what’s on your mind. This is a completely original idea which we have seen nowhere else on any other site in the world. :) Your most recent message appears under your member name and lasts for 24 hours. Currently you can’t remove it, but that’s coming very soon. So type carefully!

On this board, we'd like for you to give us feedback and your thoughts on future development. What's important to you? What works? What doesn't?

I can't promise we'll be able to implement your suggestions right away or if all, but we will consider all comments and use them to best evaluate how to officially incorporate member pages into the whole of Fool.com.

Thanks and happy browsing!

Todd Etter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:34 PM
Recommendations: 41
Let us make our activity invisible to others. I'm not too excited about people being able to see what posts I'm reccing and a couple of other things that are now public.

Author: TMFKnave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
Patch,

It's definitely something that's one of our top priorities. We want to gauge how much of a concern this is to people and act accordingly.

Hopefully in the next release (about 2 weeks away), we'll have some sort of solution in place where you'll be able to remove any activities that you wish to not appear in your feed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
I agree. I think we need to be able to set whether we want certain activities to be made public.

Ideally, we would have the option to turn off our "rec" feed entirely, OR choose certain boards to not show, but that's a bit more complex.

dsbrady

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:49 PM
Recommendations: 4
I like being able to see my very first post.

I don't like to see my percentage of posts with recs. It's too low. Can you change that to be a higher number for me? :)

dsbrady

Author: TMFKnave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 4:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
I don't like to see my percentage of posts with recs. It's too low. Can you change that to be a higher number for me? :)

There. It just got very slightly higher. :)

Todd

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 5:04 PM
I couldn't see mine either using the link in your message at ITF or using the one for TMFBreakerDave and replacing his username with mine - both kicked an error that it said was reported.

rad

Author: TMFKnave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 5:05 PM
Ideally, we would have the option to turn off our "rec" feed entirely

This is one of the options on the table and depending on feedback we'll figure out which one to pursue.

Thanks!

Todd

Author: TMFKnave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 5:53 PM
I couldn't see mine either using the link in your message at ITF or using the one for TMFBreakerDave and replacing his username with mine - both kicked an error that it said was reported.

You're fixed now. One of your older posts had some wacky characters that was causing the page to bomb. We've removed that post from your feed, and now we have to figure out how to prevent it in the future.

Sorry bout that and thanks for alerting us to the issue,

Todd

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/12/2009 7:04 PM
Recommendations: 14
I don't rec all that many posts but having what I rec revealed will squelch it maybe entirely.

I suspect we'll begin to see posts saying who recced which posts in the vein of nanny nanny bo bo.

My guess is that this was to juice the whole CAPS thing more than anything else but what's showing makes me uncomfortable.

rad

Author: Stocked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 12:52 PM
Recommendations: 39
By making this preview available without warning and without an option to hide the info I wish to keep private, you have violated my trust and the principles I thought TMF stood for. Please turn off this preview *immediately* until you can give me the option to keep this info private. And, when you do restore this preview, please make the default total privacy.

While you're at it, a public apology would go a long way to restoring the trust you have just lost.

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 12
To view your beta profile page, visit:

And to view someone else's page, visit (for example, TMFBreakerDave):

http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFBreakerDave/activity.aspx

Just replace the Fool member name in the URL with the name of the Fool you wish to view.

Thank you for the warning...starting right now I will no longer rec' any posts nor will I participate in any of the Fool features other than to post as I have done, which becomes public for all to see as per usual.

I never complain about changes etc, I go with the flow and adjust to the changes made in the past.

But this is now just too much.

LurkerMom

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 3:38 PM
Rec!

Author: LurkerMom Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 6:33 PM
Rec!

Thank you! It is filed in the memory bank.
And, back at you.

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 6:40 PM
Recommendations: 11
It's nobody's business what posts I rec and I think making that info public REALLY SUCKS!

On this board, we'd like for you to give us feedback and your thoughts on future development. What's important to you?

Privacy.

What next - you'll "improve" things by listing posters' ignored fools, too?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 10
Hopefully in the next release (about 2 weeks away), we'll have some sort of solution in place where you'll be able to remove any activities that you wish to not appear in your feed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Leaving the Fool entirely will take care of a number of problems for me. It's not only the trumpets around what I've recced, but the vanishing of prior names and the disappearance of Favorite Fools will alter a lot of the Fool experience. And not for the better.

Nancy

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/13/2009 11:39 PM
Recommendations: 6
Also, isn't this (seeing who recced what) inviting abuse of the system?

I only have one or two recs left for today, but I'm sorely tempted to go find the weirdest posts possible to rec just so anyone checking my profile to see what I recced will go WTF?

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 1:35 AM
Recommendations: 95
Let me guess. For the last few development meetings, the buzz word had been "social networking." So the suits decided they were going to get in on "the ground floor."

Here's the bad news. That ship has sailed. It sailed a long, long, time ago. There's already a TMF group on Facebook. People who want to social network with their TMF buddies are already there, and that's where the action is. Coming up with a lame copy ain't going to bring the ship back.

This is what I would do if I was running a TMF development meeting. I would *ask* why do people come to the TMF boards, and *how* do they use the site? And based on the answers to those questions, I'd ask how cam we improve that experience. The first guy who suggested a buzz word as an answer to those questions would be mocked, and then asked to leave to the room. "Hey man, I got an idea. Total Quality Management."

People do come here for social networking of course, and options for expanding the personal profile probably isn't a bad thing. It could have been done in 1999 though.

As far as I can tell, nothing else does a damn thing to improve the functionality of the boards, a couple things seem to make the boards less functional. One thing seems to make the boards at once both less functional and less social is no more Favorite Fools. A lot people used it like a social network "If you be my fave, I'll be yours." And some people used it to keep tabs on posters they liked. How does getting rid of it improve anything?

One thing I liked doing was finding a favorite fool (whether they were in my favorites or not) and glancing over their recent posts. Found a lot of great posts that way and also some new boards. The Facebook newsfeed format makes that a horror. That's fine for Facebook, but it is not how I use that feature. Does anyone want a day by day blow recap of my posting and reccing history? Seriously. Why would anything think that would be a good feature.

One thing that would be really, really helpful is a search function that works. That's been a problem for how long? That seems to be a problem unique to TMF. All other message boards I use have a search function that works great.

The original TMF board developers really nailed a couple things right off the bat. The boards look and feel unique, yet they are functional. They haven't really changed a whole since I started posting here ten years ago, which I think speaks to how well the original guys did. There have been a couple notable improvements (like the rec system) since then, but for the most part new changes have bombed. The reason they bombed is because they didn't add functionality. The current ones don't either.

Author: akaKEZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 4:24 AM
Recommendations: 31
As mentioned by 'stocked' Post #20 ....

Please turn off this preview *immediately* until you can give me the option to keep this info private. And, when you do restore this preview, please make the default total privacy.

http://my.fool.com/profile/akaKEZ/Activity.aspx If you care at all about how we feel, Please make this go away, now!

It is upsetting your members. We shouldn't have to feel violated. This is the WORST idea TMF has ever had.

As far as the favorite fools (luvvies) being withdrawn, may I ask why?
This is another issue upsetting your members. Please reinstate.

Thanks

Kez (2c)

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 7:58 AM
Recommendations: 7
I second what these others have said:

1. Invisibility of the activity feed must be a default setting. I for one do not wish to have to make a trip to my profile several times every damn day (or even once, tyvm) to turn off/delete recs and posts.

You know, there's a good reason why I don't "friend" anybody from work on FB. That activity feed is a big part of it. Not that I've ever posted anything damaging - but some of it is frivolous, and that's not the image a martial arts instructor is supposed to project.

Put the same thing up here, and you will effectively kill your word-of-mouth advertising ... on my part, anyway.

2. Leave the "Favorite Fools". It's a convenient bridge to another member's posts - some of whom have oddly spelled names, or numbers, or what have you. I don't want to have to remember whether a poster whose material I like is "Arnie 2984" or "Arnie 2894" every time I want to see what he's said lately.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 9:56 AM
Recommendations: 13
Hate it, hate it, hate it. Two pages rather than one is clunky - one streamlined page would be far better. Showing recs is kind of creepy and invasive, also. And what need have any of us for an avatar? This isn't a fan board or facebook.

It seems to me you have vastly misjudged the client base that uses the Fool. I cannot see that this will be popular. Can I say again that I hate it?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 9:58 AM
And I agree - Favorite Fools was - well, my favorite part of the page. Thanks for taking away the great stuff and leaving us "creepy stalker page" instead.

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 11
My suggestion - leave well enough alone. These latest changes STINK. If my recced posts are going to appear ... I won't rec. I resent the loss of my favorite fools list. And I see no value in the CAPS program (tried it, hated it, told you so and quit it) and don't want it on my bio.

In short, go to this and I'll delete everything IN my bio except my posting name ...

Then I'll stop reccing posts ...

Eventually, I'll stop visiting FOOL altogether, 'cause it will have lost all meaning.

You already lost 1/2 of my interest in the FOOL when you stopped having stock portfolios.

Donna Pawl

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 10:37 AM
Recommendations: 41
How do I hate these changes? Let me count the ways (so far):

lack of privacy regarding to whom I've replied and which post(s) I've recced

loss of Favorite Fools

last 10 (or other number) posts

last 10 (or other number) posts listed by numbers of recs

loss of specific Fooliversary date

I like seeing how many posts I (or other Fools) have made and how many recs I (or other Fools have) garnered.

I like seeing previous user names.

since this is a new feature, we are working on a way to allow users to REMOVE or hide recs if they so wish.

Removing recs could be a good thing.

we need to be able to set whether we want certain activities to be made public.

Privacy ought to be the default.

= = = =

Improving the Search function would be a REAL improvement.

to be continued (maybe) . . .

~~ Alison

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 11:19 AM
Recommendations: 5
This is just about the worst idea I can imagine.

STRIKE! No more posts until these changes are cancelled.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 9

But in the interim, there is NO WAY for me to do because of a change that TMF made without first inquiring as to whether or not users want this change, like this change or hate this change!!

As I said in my earlier post in this thread, this change has resulted in my NOT reccing any posts until there is a way to "remove" that info from my "feed".

We want to gauge how much of a concern this is to people and act accordingly.

Did anyone at TMF even consider gauging the users' concern BEFORE making the change?

Christina

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 11:34 AM
Recommendations: 23
Since you've asked for feedback let me add my voice to the others who are complaining about the new changes. I dislike all the new changes you have instituted in the profile page (but yeah, I recognize that I'm a dinosaur and generally dislike any change, just on principle). The old version worked fine and allowed me to reveal just the info that I wanted to be public.

Please change back to the old version now, don't wait two weeks. When you have a new version that allows us our privacy back, then go ahead and release it.

Oh, yeah, and please spend more of your programmers's time on improving the search function and less on making this site into "The Motley Facebook".

G.F.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 2:16 PM
that makes recs almost useless. One reason I rec some posts is that I like the anonymity. If someone can now see what I rec, I'll stop reccing. I've wanted OTHER boards to change to the Fool model. Didn't want the Fool to change this.

And getting rid of faves? why?

Why are fixing what isn't broken?

If we are going to a "friends" model (like every other gosh darn site) what's to prevent us all from just going over to Facebook?

Ishtar
Doesn't like it when my community changes this much

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 2:23 PM
Recommendations: 8

Leaving the Fool entirely will take care of a number of problems for me. It's not only the trumpets around what I've recced, but the vanishing of prior names and the disappearance of Favorite Fools will alter a lot of the Fool experience. And not for the better.

What Nancy said times three!

I LOVE the fave fools lists.

And. . . There's one poster that I came to know back in the day who used a name based on a joke between her and her husband. She then changed her name when they split. She changed her name yet again sometime later. Then she disappeared for awhile.

Without the previous names function, how on earth would I have realized that this third incarnation was her when she came back? I would have been like, "who is this crazy person acting like we all should know her?" But with the previous names listed in her profile, I could easily go, "OH! I remember her! I'm glad her life is going so well now!"

Ishtar

P.S. is the search function fixed yet?
How come you're fixing stuff that ISN'T broken and aren't fixing stuff that is?

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 2:29 PM
loss of specific Fooliversary date

No way! didn't realize that. No more balloon days?

Ishtar

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 2:45 PM
"And. . . There's one poster that I came to know back in the day who used a name based on a joke between her and her husband. She then changed her name when they split. She changed her name yet again sometime later. Then she disappeared for awhile."

Another aspect...

I have several Favorites who have passed away since I "met" them here, there's no way I would remove them from my list!

Regards, Ken

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 3:07 PM
Recommendations: 23
This makes me uncomfortable. I don't want other people knowing where I lurk or what I search; that is my business and will directly impact the usefulness of TMF for me.

Additionally, showing where I am reccing posts makes me uncomfortable. Sometimes I agree with a poster, or even two posters saying opposite things because of the way they present their arguments. It's no one's business why I rec it; the nature of the rec itself is to show that someone found it useful, not necessarily that that someone was Minxie.

This is an online site; it is NOT a neighborhood bar, no matter how much we like to pretend. There have already been instances of posters being stalked by others and their personal info being posted online; these developments will only serve to exacerbate those situations.

Minxie

cross-posted from ITF

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 3:21 PM
Recommendations: 35
I've rec'd as many of the posts in this thread that I can that tell you how bad an idea all this is. I won't repeat those compolaints. Just check out my beta profile page to find out what they are.

You have taken away privacy where it is needed and added it where it is unwanted.

Am I given to understand that previous user names will not be seen on the profile page?

So if someone changes their user name, we don't know who they are anymore?

Bad, bad, bad, bad idea! We already have the annoyance of people posting with lots of doppels. Not only have you enabled that practice, but you've made it impossible to keep up with fools who we LIKE who might change their names.

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 3:45 PM
"I've rec'd as many of the posts in this thread that I can that tell you how bad an idea all this is."

I can relate to that ;-) Between this board, the ITF board and the normal stuff...

Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
You will be able to recommend 9 more posts today.

I suspect I'll run out before the day is over ...

All the best, Ken

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 3:47 PM
Recommendations: 55
Greetings, Myownigloo raised issues that I completely agree with. This lets doppels hide better (can't find out who they USED to me) while completely exposing ME. And I have long relied on My Favorites list to keep track of posters with variant spellings that I may not be successful searching for without that pointer.

Obviously privacy is still SOME concern to TMF, otherwise you would expose Ignored Fools and would broadcast when a user Fool Alerts a post. So why THESE changes which expose reading and reccing activity which had been private? Certainly you are getting an important earful of why not to do this. Add my voice to that chorus.

I have already ceased to recommend posts since you published this and will not do so again until you retract this feature (or at least make the default to not display it unless the posts WANTS to do so). If you have a toggle button for Serif/NonSerif for the typeface, why not have a similar toggle if you really felt the need to keep track of all of this activity behind the scenes, and let the choice of displaying it be the poster's. At least the typeface changes only the appearance but your beta proposes to reveal behavior.

In summary, please keep everything we currently have available to us with respect to the Member page (and take nothing away). But if you feel you MUST add these new features, please make the tracking of them at the discretion of each poster.

This has already impacted my current Fool behavior adversely and could be enough to drive me off entirely if implemented and not retracted.

Seriously distressed,
xraymd

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 3:48 PM
Has the search function (as pathetic as it was) disappeared entirely?

Author: reddames Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 21
If I wanted to spend time on Facebook, I'd spend time on Facebook.

Frankly, I cannot tell you how much I think these "improvements" suck. I don't want my activity tracked, I love my "luvvies," and although I don't post much lately, I won't post at all. I will cease recommending people visit here for good, solid information.

You are doing your loyal readers a major disservice. Knock it off.

Author: mc One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 5:16 PM
All the good features are gone. What is left is invasive and offensive.

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 5:38 PM
Recommendations: 143
I hate this. For many of the reasons already listed by others, and which I have recced.

My main point is that if I wanted to tell everyone everything I'm reading, thinking and doing I'd be Twittering. If I had the ego to want to list everything I am interested in reading or reccing out there for the whole world to see, I'd put it on Facebook (or not; at least at Facebook I have a CHOICE as to what is reported).

The beauty of the Fool has always been that one could anonymously read, think, study and perhaps rec others' great, interesting, thought provoking, amusing, or well-written posts, and then post when one wants to make a statement. These are MESSAGE BOARDS, not instant and public chat rooms. Using Favorites, recs, and the search function (when it works) has been useful for those of us who like to study issues and ideas.

You seem to have missed the point that Facebook and Twitter are for those who WANT the whole world to hear about their every personal move. The Fool has always catered to readers and thinkers with greater discretion, many of whom would stop posting immediately if they perceived their privacy and/or identity have been "outed."

If you implement these proposed changes, many of us will either go away or drastically reduce our use of your site. This is horrifying to me, as, in spite of my occasional use of other, more public web applications, the Fool is the one place I always come every day, and where I have found a home and friends.

I can't believe you couldn't get around to fixing the search function, but are ready to roll out these huge "Twitter/Facebook lite" changes on us.

Bad judgment. You should be READING your own message boards, and knowing your own people better.

RDW

(One last thing: up until now, a Rec has been about the post being Recced. This change would turn it into a statement about the person making the Rec. Do you understand the implications of this change? Did you just decide you wanted to kill the rec system? Is that the goal?)

Author: mc One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 6:20 PM
RDW -
I've actually logged back in to rec this. Well said!!!

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 7:59 PM
Recommendations: 57
What the hell is TMF thinking? These changes are terrible, and the profile page defies finding an adjective strong enough to describe how gawdawful it is. Letting all and sundry know which posts you rec'd is a horrible invasion of privacy, and the loss of Favorite Fools is a serious mistake.

You know who's still on my Favorite Fools list? Charles Robinson, better known as crobinso. Remember him? I never took him off my list because he was such a sweet and wonderful man and I wanted to honor his memory. Removing him without my permission is disrespectful to the living and the dead.

The Facebook-ish attempt is pathetic. Avatars? Activity report? What's on your mind? Why not go all the way and add Mafia Wars while you're at it.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:03 PM
You know who's still on my Favorite Fools list? Charles Robinson, better known as crobinso. Remember him? I never took him off my list because he was such a sweet and wonderful man and I wanted to honor his memory. Removing him without my permission is disrespectful to the living and the dead.

The Facebook-ish attempt is pathetic. Avatars? Activity report? What's on your mind? Why not go all the way and add Mafia Wars while you're at it.

Over on Improve the Fool TMFKnave has informed us that Favorites will be "Enhanced." I assume they mean streaming reports.

JABoa is on my Favorites list. He died in 2002. He was a wonderful man.

I suspect I'll be leaving with the roll-out.

Nancy

Author: kmwade Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:09 PM
I agree with everyone else. I like it as it is, and have no wish to have it changed, not do I want anyone else seeing what I may chose to rec.

Do not fix what is not broken!

Kathleen Wade

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:12 PM
Why not go all the way and add Mafia Wars while you're at it.

O
M
FSM

Don't even JOKE about that!

- T, wastes enough time on MW.

Author: PosFCF Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 50 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:13 PM
Recommendations: 16
I've been a member of the Fool Community since 1997. During that time I've learned a lot, read an awful lot of very interesting material and, hopefully added something to other's reading pleasure along the way.

I don't have any meaningful criticism to add to the already very well stated objections to the changes proposed. I am against them and see no added benefit to my membership in any of them.

Now, I'm just an old redneck and these kinds of changes take me a while to come to grips with. But I will tell the PTBs at the Fool that the first time I get a post that questions why I rec this or that board, this or that poster, or this or that viewpoint as often as I do, then I'll stop my long term association with the Fool right then and there.

I do not come here to harass or to be harassed. I do not come to stalk or be stalked. Yet these are the very likely outcomes of some of the changes you have already made into a Beta.

What the Heck could you be thinking? To not even bring this up as an idea first to the general membership but slam it to us in Beta format?

It's not even April first!

Sheesh guys and gals, the mission is to enrich, amuse and entertain.....not to harass and stalk.

Poz

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 51 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:16 PM
lack of privacy regarding to whom I've replied and which post(s) I've recced

To be fair, people could already see to whom you've recently replied by visiting your old profile and viewing your last N posts. It wasn't as obvious as a feed, but that data was accessible.

dsbrady

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 52 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:18 PM
Please change back to the old version now,

For what it's worth, if you click on a poster's name, it still goes to the old version. I believe to get to the beta version, you have to specifically put the URL in your browser (as far as I can tell).

dsbrady

Author: mhtruck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 8:19 PM
1) What the h@ll are you doing?
2) Who do you think you are?
3) I'm realy PO'd that I had to find out about this complete disregad for my privacy by word of mouth.
4) As someone who was once the victim of Identiy theft, I value privacy and am beyond absolutely appalled and mortified.
5) I will no longer be posting.
6) I will no longer be reccing.

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 9:56 PM
I just rec'd a LurkerMom post, because I am totally in agreement with it.

That fact alone (me and LM being completely on the same page) should be a sign to you guys just how awful your proposed changes are.

Of course, now anyone who wants to could verify that I did, in fact, rec LM's post, which goes back to the points people have been making.

-synchronicity

PS- you're not facebook or (god forbid) twitter, so don't try to be that

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 10:23 PM
To be fair, people could already see

True, and I realized that as I posted, but it took some effort and some thought to do it, not just letting it all hang out.

~~ Alison

Author: withfeeling Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 11:38 PM
I am unhappy that you are considering taking away the anniversary celebrations, and the favorite posters feature. I don't really care who sees what I rec, but I can understand why some people are objecting to it.

The very loud new stuff on the top of the page I could easily live without, though. Makes it hard to concentrate on what I'm reading - too distracting.

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/14/2009 11:40 PM

Another thing that sucks:
I'm using the edit feature to change stuff and it forces me to put a gender. The default is male. This is another thing people might want to keep private.

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 12:06 AM
I don't mind the concept of new pages. But I agree that my rec's should be private. And username history is useful information I don't want to lose.

Yes, in many ways the discussion boards have become more social than financial. But it is the uniqueness of this community that keeps us here. As soon as you become just like Facebook, you've removed my reason to be here instead of there.

Frydaze1

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:24 AM
Recommendations: 24
after reading the whole thread I can only say one thing.

This is NOT OK

none of it.

peace & privacy
t

Author: SameAsYesterday Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 7:06 AM
"This is NOT OK

none of it.

peace & privacy"

I agree. I am not comfortable with ANY of it.

My privacy has already been compromised. In addition I feel a lack of peace at a website/community where I used to feel pretty darn "safe".
In fact I feel downright violated! What in the heck are you (TMF) thinking? Didn't at least some of you have a little bell go off inside your heads saying something to the effect of "they're not going to like this"?

YIKES MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In addition, with a world in such flux why make things MORE complicated with unnecessary changes????

This really sucks.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Please listen long and hard to what many of us are saying.

Jack

Author: Dafluffernut2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 7:57 AM
The changes to the member page are incredibly ill thought out: are you married to them, or is there a chance someone will come to their senses and jetison the thought?

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 8:14 AM
I'm not a fan of number 6 (current status) - TMF isn't a social networking site, so don't try to make it look like one. I'm fine with message board and the CAPS stats, and most everything else for that matter. You can't expect people to go into every "social networking" site they are a member to do a status update. Leave it to facebook (which has been going down hill since they allowed facebook apps, now it's just another myspace)

In general - the profile should be a more static document. Showing recent posts is ok, and the CAPS stat (as those items are simply fed in from other parts of the site), but don't expect people to ACTIVELY update their profile. Make it a aggrigate of the other sections of the site that we already participate in.

Don't show recs - others have commented why (privacy / gaming the system).

WRJ

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 66 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:10 AM
Aren't we all suffering from enough loss of privacy in our lives already without this? If the new profiles stay, I'm leaving.

Bob

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:34 AM
I'm using the edit feature to change stuff and it forces me to put a gender. The default is male. This is another thing people might want to keep private.

I can understand keeping many things private but if you are posting anonymously, I'm not sure why gender would be something someone wants to stay private. It helps a lot to know a person's gender when giving advice on a subject.

PSU

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:37 AM
Don't show recs - others have commented why (privacy / gaming the system)

I can understand why someone might dislike the visibility of recs because that has previously been a private activity on the Fool, but I do not understand how this new feature could be used to game the rec system.

How does making rec history public damage the integrity of the rec system? In my view, it does the exact opposite -- with recs being public it is a lot harder for posters to inflate their rec counts by using a pack of doppel accounts. All sorts of rec abuse becomes more difficult if recs are public.

What forms of rec abuse become easier with recs being public? How, exactly, would this change make it easier to game the system?

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:45 AM
I think this takes the Fool even more down the road of being a popularity contest. And aside from a few (mostly active) folks, it's been my experience everywhere I go that the significant majority of online users prefer to fly incognito, "under the radar." If changes make it easier for other users (be it "friends," people looking for ammo against you, potential employers, et cetera) to get all the Fool's poop on you, at least make this an OPT-IN process, and make "opt out" the default.

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:47 AM
I can understand keeping many things private but if you are posting anonymously, I'm not sure why gender would be something someone wants to stay private. It helps a lot to know a person's gender when giving advice on a subject.

You go, girl!

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:56 AM
You go, girl!

Hey there, fella.

Author: plaidprincess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 10:03 AM
Can I give a resounding HECK NO! to this proposal? I really don't think just anyone needs to see what I recommend, I don't need a dumb avatar, and THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK or TWITTER!!!!!!!!!!

This is an investing and personal finance site (so I hear), for crying out loud! Keep with the "KISS" philosophy!

Plaidy

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 10:05 AM
>> Can I give a resounding HECK NO! to this proposal? I really don't think just anyone needs to see what I recommend, I don't need a dumb avatar, and THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK or TWITTER!!!!!!!!!! <<

Heh. Since it's apparently important to some people who like all the in-depth-and-personal stuff on those other sites and feel like we should all know each other in gory detail, let me say for the record that I'll be having a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, most likely. :-)

Author: Conehead Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 75 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 10:07 AM
Hopefully the fact that this thread is pretty much a who's who of TMF has tipped you off to the fact that this was a very bad idea. I hate to make a "me too" post, but there are a couple of points that I wanted to stress.

1. The privacy violation is enormous. Enormous. It's a violation of the spirit of your privacy policy. I feel like I just finished shopping at a store only to notice that the store has a big digital billboard with a list of everyone who has shopped there and what they bought. And when I went inside to complain I was told, "Oh that's a new feature. In a couple weeks we are going to have a way to opt out." What boggles my mind even more is that you apparently knew this was going to be an issue and yet you made the feature available anyway. Anything that violates this much privacy must be not only adjustable, but also opt in.

2. I hear what dianakalt is saying by pointing out that we were given "beta" access to this. Good for TMF. You get one point on a scale of one to a hundred. The correct plan would have been to have a post on a board or blog that says "we're thinking of putting the following information on a profile page". That way you could have figured out that this was a bad idea before you betrayed everyone's trust. Then, when you release a beta you can use that same community to fine tune and guide the features. And if people complain you can always point them back to the community and say "why didn't you tell us this six months ago." I just feel like this point becoming a broken record around here. No matter people much tell you this that this involvement is important to them you continue to ignore the plea.

2b. The new screen layout is horrible too. When I first went to the Fool last week, I couple only had two lines of content visible. Not everyone (especially Mac users) have every window maximized. I was going to complain, but then I realized that you would just ignore the feedback anyway.

3. What possessed you to add this feature? There are so many things that others have asked for. Many of the things you do (email spam campaigns, paid stock recommendation newsletters) I understand because they are obviously big revenue streams. But please help me understand why you would choose this to work on?

With the changes to the layout and "beta" profile changes, I'm very tempted to just give up on the Fool. I just feel like I'm beating my head against a wall with the site. I still remember the day I logged in and discovered that I couldn't post with Safari.

There are so many posters around here that I value so much. These are the people who have kept me for nearly twelve years. But I'm just insanely frustrated with you right now and I thinking I'm going to have to at least take a break for a while.

--CH

Author: Conehead Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 10:16 AM
One more thing. I would have felt somewhat better if I had logged in this morning to find that "member pages" had been replaced with a page explaining that the beta had been suspended based on member feedback.

By the way, instead of wasting your time on these features why didn't you add the ability to edit a post you've made for five minutes. It would help in situations like this and in order to fix typos and the like. After all, that feature has been requested hundreds or maybe even thousands of times. In comparison to the zero requests to make TMF into Financial Facebook.

I could give you three great features to add to the personal profile that wouldn't involve egregious privacy violations if you'd like to hear them sometime.

--CH

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 11:02 AM
I could give you three great features to add to the personal profile that wouldn't involve egregious privacy violations if you'd like to hear them sometime.

Pass.

-TMF

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 79 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 11:39 AM
Late to the party, but I just reviewed the myprofile thing:

With everyone else: HATE the activity. I post things on here because it is largely anonymous.

Please make the default "privacy." I also think that the other had a lot of features you took away here. Better, don't change it. Just take what people LIKE about the new layout and ADD to the old layout. Some of the stats are interesting.

But you also shouldn't make them open to everyone either.

I wonder, do "pulled posts" show up in activity, too? That so-and-so had a post pulled?

Thanks.

GSF

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 80 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 1:07 PM
I wonder, do "pulled posts" show up in activity, too? That so-and-so had a post pulled?

No but don't be surprised if it shows up in the next beta.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 81 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 1:16 PM
>> No but don't be surprised if it shows up in the next beta. <<

Along with the identity of the person who triggered the Fool Alert, if this keeps up...

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 1:41 PM
The changes do not improve the Fool - they detract from it and here's how:-

1) You are removing the anonymity of the Recs feature. Why we recommend posts is nobody's business but our own - the last thing anyone wants is for someone to contact them demanding to know why or why not they recommended a post. And it will happen. (Incidentally, IMHO, the existing Rec's feature is one of the best things about the Fool.)

2) What has happened to the Favorite Fools feature? I use this to keep up with the people I consider "Fool Friends".

3) Whilst I like the ability to view my first post, I'd prefer it if you just improved the existing search facilities so that I could find all my posts on a Board by Board basis. You already have the tools, just get them to work.

If I wanted Facebook, I'd post at Facebook! (And, no, being compared to Facebook is not a compliment.) How about spending the time and money you wasted on these changes and fixing the search engine?

- Pam

Author: Brustpjf Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 2:05 PM
I am in my 10th year as a member. And until recently I have been more of a lurker than a poster. I mostly read discussion boards over everything else and the main method which I navigate thru them is by checking out what some of my favorite fools have recently posted. To make that more difficult now would make me look for other places (outside of TMF) to find similar information.

After more than 80 posts which seem to be steering 90% NOT in favor of the changes, I would consider postpoing this "New Coke" idea for awhile.

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 2:19 PM
After more than 80 posts which seem to be steering 90% NOT in favor of the changes, I would consider postpoing this "New Coke" idea for awhile.

Please, postpone it for "never".

Count me among the board members you'd lose if you roll this out as tested. Privacy is huge. Please respect it, and require opt-in to see posts we've recommended (default to more privacy, not less).

If you want to scrap just about everything the current TMF discussion board membership likes about this place and do something completely different, this 'member pages' pile of crap seems like a good start.

-n8

Author: MrSnarkyPants Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 91 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:06 PM
Why not go all the way and add Mafia Wars while you're at it.

Since TMF is several years behind most social media, I'd expect them to add Hot or Not and Social Me first.

If they're going to rip off Facebook, they should also rip off Facebook's privacy settings. Otherwise, this place is nothing more than a social media wannabe site with a profanity filter.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 92 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:26 PM
Thank you for the warning...starting right now I will no longer rec' any posts nor will I participate in any of the Fool features other than to post as I have done, which becomes public for all to see as per usual.

I never complain about changes etc, I go with the flow and adjust to the changes made in the past.

But this is now just too much.

LurkerMom

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 93 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:28 PM
What next - you'll "improve" things by listing posters' ignored fools, too?

That will probably be the next thing. I mean, doesn't everyone want to know who I have in my "P" box. Come on now, really.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 95 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:30 PM
>> What next - you'll "improve" things by listing posters' ignored fools, too? <<

Actually, when they first started showing the number of people who "loved" you in your profile, they also showed you the number who ignored you.

That "feature" lasted for less than a week, if I recall correctly.

Author: LaughingRaven Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:37 PM
I suspect we'll begin to see posts saying who recced which posts in the vein of nanny nanny bo bo.

Agreed. I'm glad you got rid of it. Arguments often arise on the Fool boards, and I've seen several posts along the lines of "I can't believe 58 people actually recommended that jerk!" With that kind of information showing, it seems like only a matter of time until it morphs into "Jeff, I can't believe you recommended that jerk!" Me myself personally, I often hand out recs to those who present a solid and well-structured argument, even if I disagree with what the poster is saying.

As for the profiles in general, I think there's some interesting stuff on here, like how many distinct people account for my lifetime rec total. However, when I say "interesting", I mean it in the same sense that I'm interested in the mating habits of penguins; it's a casual interest at best, and after a while the novelty wears off and it's just more mind clutter. I, for one, see no benefit to the user from these changes. I don't care about avatars, and I don't particularly care about somebody's CAPS rating; I haven't recommended a stock in over two years, yet I'm currently in the top decile.

--
Raven

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 3:43 PM
I have rec'd RDW fantastic post and all these posts on this board against these horrid changes. That's all I'm going to rec though till the powers-that-be bring it back to how it used to be.
If you want to fix/improve anything, why don't you start with improving that lame search feature? That's what I feel really needs improvement. Forget trying to become another tweeter or facebook site, for heaven's sake.

Author: sandytravis Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 4:51 PM
Oh THAT's what I was doing wrong in picking stocks and other investments - I didn't have an AVATAR to do it for me!!

have another product development meeting, Fools, and start with the words "Privacy is Good" in big letters on the screen.

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 5:33 PM
have another product development meeting, Fools, and start with the words "Privacy is Good" in big letters on the screen.

Yes! I so agree. Why can't TMF stay just stay unique and quit following Facebook and Tweeter.

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 105 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 5:45 PM
Otherwise, this place is nothing more than a social media wannabe site with a profanity filter.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Yeah but at least on FB we don't have "Net Nanny" Profanity filter. Or at least not as bad as on TMF.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 6:12 PM
>> Yeah but at least on FB we don't have "Net Nanny" Profanity filter. Or at least not as bad as on TMF. <<

Of course, given how much easier it could make it for current and/or potential future employers to track you, maybe the "net nanny" isn't such a bad thing...

Author: quinancia Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 108 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 7:17 PM
One change I do like. . .

I went to the "Info" tab on my profile and under "Investing Expertise" it says, "You don't have any investing expertise."

Which could not be more true. . . Most be some sort of new Artificial Intelligence system :)

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 114 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 9:40 PM
"I do not come here to harass or to be harassed. I do not come to stalk or be stalked. Yet these are the very likely outcomes of some of the changes you have already made into a Beta."

Put a block on your e-mail to stop any Fool relate posts from coming theough - then you'll never see people's criticism because it will be filtered.

Also, why would you be worried about anyone else's opinion of what you post anyway?

Author: kmacstepic One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 10:40 PM
Hate it!

I like facebook but I don't want the motley fool to operate like facebook.

I am not interested in social networking on the fool.

I like how the boards are already set up and utilized, please do not try to improve them by making them a FB wannabe site. I will likely leave the fool for other pastures...

www.stockcentral.com or manifest investing

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/15/2009 11:50 PM
I just want to add my vote to those protesting the proposed changes.
Ted

Author: Razz037 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 8:09 AM
I looked at what the Fool says is my very first post – and it wasn’t my first post!

Where are the favorite fools and how many fools that likes me?

I definitely see no improvement – just a crappy page layout, that’s all! Go back to the drawing board – you failed.

Razz

Author: Razz037 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 127 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 8:17 AM
And another thing – when I recommend a post, why do you take me to a new page? That is idiotic – just increment the number and let me continue reading the rest of the posts.

This is what happens when Morons do Web design.

Razz

Author: Razz037 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 128 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 8:26 AM
One more thing, If I was in the meeting about these changes, I would have gone Donald Trump on someone’s a$$ - You’re FIRED!!!

Razz

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 130 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 9:27 AM
I just wanted to post so that I am down for getting rid of these changes.

It's all been said, but:

I don't see the point of trying to look like Facebook.

I want My Favorite Fools back. I use them to navigate.

I don't want anything that compromises my security.

Can't you use all this energy to make a decent search engine. Or at least bring back the old one.

arrete

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 131 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 9:41 AM
I just wanted to post so that I am down for getting rid of these changes.

It's all been said, but:

I don't see the point of trying to look like Facebook.

I want My Favorite Fools back. I use them to navigate.

I don't want anything that compromises my security.

Can't you use all this energy to make a decent search engine. Or at least bring back the old one.

arrete
Allison

Author: Conehead Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 133 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 10:45 AM
And another thing – when I recommend a post, why do you take me to a new page? That is idiotic – just increment the number and let me continue reading the rest of the posts.

Dude.

Uncalled for.

--CH

Author: kimmmmm Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 1:14 PM
I spend most of my time lurking here, and I wish to add my voice to the vast majority of posters who are telling you that the proposed "improvements" are A Very Bad Idea.

The features that I appreciate most (favorites, earlier name information, etc.) are being cast off without a thought.

The additions (seeing which posts have been rec'd, etc) are an appalling invasion of privacy.

Please boot this beta to the curb, and leave well enough alone.

Thank you.

kimmmmm

Author: LaughingRaven Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 135 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 2:29 PM

I wouldn't say that, I'd just say it's last-generation Web design. I've read the Fool since 2001*, and as far as I can remember, the board layout hasn't changed much at all. Bear in mind that as a page grows more complex, it provides more places for errors and compatibility problems to arise. Simple can be a good thing, even if it's sometimes inconvenient.

If the beta pages are any indication, TMF is trying to go in a more Web 2.0 direction. That would allow the sort of changes you suggest. They just need to figure out how to design a site that (a) retains currently available features, (b) doesn't provide information solely for the benefit of stalkers, and (c) demonstrates enough of a benefit to the user to justify the learning curve.

--
Raven
* Profile says 2004, but I had a prior username which is/was linked to an e-mail account I can't access anymore.

Author: Razz037 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 138 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 7:08 PM
Raven,

I agree with you. Maybe I was being a little harsh, but I get frustrated with bad web page design – a large percentage of websites have a bad design. Many programmers know how to build a web page, but few know how to give one a good design (one should be able to access any part of a website from any page in the site).

You have to be a user in order to be a good designer.

I gave you a Rec. and had to use back button again to read on.

Razz

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 139 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 8:35 PM
I gave you a Rec. and had to use back button again to read on.

I'm not sure how this is working. What mode are you reading messages in? Whole thread view?

When I recommend a post, it does load a whole page again, but it's just the post I recommended with the appropriate message at the top (Thank you for recommending, blah, blah).

dsbrady

Author: RafesUserName Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 140 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/16/2009 10:55 PM
Before I say anything directly related, I have to bring this up again: Every time you guys make an improvement to some part of the site I can't help but think you are ignoring the basic needs of your users. Where oh where is the rich-text editor!?!? Really, can there be any more simple addition which would improve our lives more?

Re: this....

I like it, pending the concerns of fellow fools. Some thoughts...

- Too much space / too big. I like minimalist design, but too much scrolling is involved right now. Dropping a pixel or two of space, from around everything, would help a lot.

- Find a way to get some of the "info" tab stuff on to the main page. The stats are interesting, but secondary IMO. Primarily, "Personal Quote" and "Fool Since" are the kind of things I'd like to be right at the top of the main page.

- I love the feed ("Activity"). I don't know how much help it will be to others, but I've wanted a history of my own activity for ages! If you move the stats, the activity feed will be wider and more information can be displayed. This would greatly increase usability.

- I like the 'recs' in the feed, and I think others will too when they realize they are making a storm in a tea cup. Recs are a thumbs up to the author and I don't see how sharing this is an invasion of privacy. I can't think of anything I reced for reasons other than agreement or amusement. Why not share? (this is similar to the "I like this" thing on FaceBook, and it is a fun feature. It is basically a wordless comment)

- You have the first post, which is cool, but where is the highest rec post? (Some people might be embarrased by this type of feature, so I suggest line-item-veto power here. Just put a little "X" next to it with a "hide this" option.)

- "What's on your mind?". Ok... now your just blindly following FaceBook. This is silly IMO. The posts are clearly what is on my mind. Why would anyone use this? On FB it is part of the user experience. there are no "posts", so it makes sense over there. Here it seems like an afterthought dropped on to the page. It takes up space and doesn't make any sense.

Keep up the good work,

- Rafe

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 12:08 AM
I don't like the new setup. BTW I don't do facebook either. Or twitter. I am not wild about being followed around.

There is too much info on there.

I would rather lurk in obscurity when I lurk, thank you. (Especially when I am reading about stuff I know almost nothing about.)

Also, maybe it is a good thing if there are a few relatively quiet corners on here.

I'm gonna go off and erase stuff.

Peace and inscrutability,

- PaintItBlue

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 142 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 5:52 AM
- You have the first post, which is cool, but where is the highest rec post? (Some people might be embarrased by this type of feature, so I suggest line-item-veto power here. Just put a little "X" next to it with a "hide this" option.)

That's already available. It's not listed or explained, but it's available. When you go to a profile page (in the current state, not the forthcoming one) click on the Ten Most Recent Posts button. When the page changes go up to the URL and add the phrase &byrecs=y

You'll get the ten highest recommended posts for that person. Here's yours:

http://boards.fool.com/LastPosts.asp?limit=10&submit=Go&...

But yes, it would definitely be nice if that information was out there where everyone can learn about it, rather than relying on word of mouth.

I still don't like the "we have to be like Facebook to appeal to twentysomethings" change.

Nancy

Author: LaughingRaven Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 149 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 2:04 PM
When I recommend a post, it does load a whole page again, but it's just the post I recommended with the appropriate message at the top (Thank you for recommending, blah, blah).

Yes, the effect is most obvious in Whole Thread view. Giving a rec changes your view to Threaded whether you like it or not. I'm used to it, but I don't particularly like it either.

--
Raven

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 4:58 PM
Where oh where is the rich-text editor!?!? Really, can there be any more simple addition which would improve our lives more?

Given the problems it caused when they did implement one before, I'm guessing there would be, yes.

dsbrady

Author: wolfienola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 5:31 PM
I agree with others who dislike the new profile pages. I liked the compact format of the old pages - I liked the Favorite Fools and last 10 posts features and there was never anyting I felt was lacking.

I hate the Recent Activity section - it takes up room and tells us nothing interesting.

What's up with the % of Posts Not Rec'd? That is just weird.

Also I agree with what others have said about Caps. I gave it a try, but never found any value in it. I have not added or dropped anything in 2 years, never visit it at all. Why post my Caps info on my profile? It says nothing about my membership in the Foolish community. It's distasteful to me. (My rank is about in the middle of the pack by the way)

First Post ??? Cringe. You going to post my driver's license picture next?

I think there were other ways to improve the boards - people have been asking for a better search and a spell-check for years. I never saw any clamoring for any of these new features in the beta version....

Maggy

Author: wrjohnston91283 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 5:44 PM
How does making rec history public damage the integrity of the rec system? In my view, it does the exact opposite -- with recs being public it is a lot harder for posters to inflate their rec counts by using a pack of doppel accounts. All sorts of rec abuse becomes more difficult if recs are public.

I'm not sure - i just saw someone else had mentioned it - I wasn't going to get into the privacy problems so i just briefly repeated what others had mentioned.

WRJ

Author: akaKEZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 7:42 PM

Hmmm! once again, it's the doppels creating problems. Is that right?

How does making rec history public damage the integrity of the rec system?...Well IMO, every time I rec. a post, I don't want to tell everyone where I've been or how many I have given. It IS a privacy issue. A personal thing.

At least, for now, you can't see where I have rec'd. That's half the problem solved. I feel, nobody should know how many I have given in any particular day, either.

Doppels! argh!!! Maybe TMF should get some 'spider' software that can match up a few ISP numbers to a few of these mutli user, doppels. I know ISP numbers aren't static in most cases, but!, there has to be a way?

Otherwise, let's go back to Pay to Play.

Kez

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 157 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 7:54 PM

I sometimes think that I am part of the Fool in some other planet that doesn't exist for other people. I say that I've received emails asking me why a certain person is on my Favorite Fools list, or asking me why they aren't, and GoofyHoofy says he's never received such an email so it doesn't matter because only his experience matters.

You ask how on earth publicizing recs could possibly matter, and I think of the emails I've received asking that I rec a particular post, and I think of the recriminations that would follow if I read the post in question and decided that I could not honestly rec it. I think of groups of Fools all deciding to rec someone's post, just to be nasty. (This happened, what? Last year?) A group of posters decided to rec every single post of Kahuna's, just to make fun of him. I can see them doing that even more deliberately if they knew they were being tracked.

Dammit, people are entitled to some privacy, even if you and the Fool don't think so.

Nancy

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 8:19 PM
Over the past eight years, I have the most posts on one of the religion boards. It's one thing for people who also post on that board or people who are interested in me personally to be able to figure that out, but it's not the business of the people who are cruising profiles to hector people of a different religion or lack of religion. The same would go if I posted mostly on one of the political boards.

If this stays i will spend a few days FAing a lot of my previous posts before I abandon TMF for good.

Ted

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 159 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 8:31 PM
You ask how on earth publicizing recs could possibly matter

Actually I didn't ask that. I think perhaps you just skimmed my post and didn't really read what I wrote.

Nancy -- I recognize you're angry and feel that public rec logs are an invasion of your privacy. I've read at least a dozen posts from you saying exactly that. I get it. I'm not even disagreeing with you -- it seems clear that most Fool users do not want their rec history made public. The Fool has ALREADY removed the feature. You can ratchet down your indignation a few notches.

In my post, where I never said what you claim I said, I was merely challenging the assertion that public recs makes it easier to "game the system" because I think the opposite is true. That's totally unrelated to the privacy concerns shared by you and many other Fool members.

On the contrary, public recs would stand to reduce rec abuse, not increase it. I am aware that you don't think this minor upside is worth the loss of privacy.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 161 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 8:36 PM
If this stays i will spend a few days FAing a lot of my previous posts before I abandon TMF for good.

I respectfully suggest that if you are uncomfortable with the information you've included in past posts that you should do that regardless.

Your posts and the personal information contained therein are widely public and easily accessible to the entire world regardless of the Fool's beta profile pages. Even if the Fool completely removes the features they've included in the beta you should consider all your posts in that board to be read on a daily basis by hundreds of people who are cruising google or wandering randomly around the Fool.

The notion that your old posts are not being read by thousands of strangers just because the posts are not linked on your profile page is flawed.

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 162 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 8:55 PM
How does making rec history public damage the integrity of the rec system?...Well IMO, every time I rec. a post, I don't want to tell everyone where I've been or how many I have given. It IS a privacy issue. A personal thing.

Then there are the people that will go and rec obscure/weird/out-of-character-for-them-to-like* posts just to flip the bird to the publicly exposed rec system.

Not that I know anyone like that...

*apologies to Lt. Uhura for all the hyphens

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/17/2009 11:14 PM
The notion that your old posts are not being read by thousands of strangers just because the posts are not linked on your profile page is flawed.

I have no objection to people knowing what I have said on any venue including the fool. What I object to is the possibility of making it very easy for people to jump to conclusions based on only one fact. List my top five sites and my problem goes away. List my top three sites for the past year and and my problem also goes away. Even better, list the top three sites where I lurk. I spend much more time lurking than posting because I am mostly here to learn.

I probably spend more time on the Macro Economics board than any place else but you'd never learn that from the Fool's new beta profile.

Ted

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 169 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/22/2009 6:08 PM
Wow. Where'd my Fave Fools go? How will I keep up with them? Why can people see posts I've recced? Wow, I really hate this. I guess I won't be reccing posts anymore, unless I feel like I don't mind the entire planet knowing I recced something.

I feel...dirty. Yuck. I really don't want to leave the Fool, but...it may be time to become a lurker. Sigh.

--Booa

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 170 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/22/2009 6:34 PM
they were supposed to have taken down the rec thingy.

Ishtar

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 171 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/23/2009 2:06 AM
Booa,

Your Favorite Fools will certainly be included in your member page. We were showing off functionality we've been working on at a mid-stage of the work. Things like Fave Fools and former screen names and charms, etc., will all be a part of the final experience. We will also enable people to filter what they're looking for. And we will enable members who don't want to show off some or all of what they're doing to filter/opt out.

People cannot at present see posts you've recced. Take a look at your page. We tweaked out anything except "DrBooa recommended a post." I and many others have no problem showing what we're rec'cing, and it's a wonderful aid to finding more valuable content throughout our community. But to the extent people don't want to show that activity, they won't have to, and as of now people can't see that activity of yours.

Foolish best wishes,

David

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 172 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/23/2009 11:54 AM
Recommendations: 4
I and many others have no problem showing what we're rec'cing, and it's a wonderful aid to finding more valuable content throughout our community. But to the extent people don't want to show that activity, they won't have to, and as of now people can't see that activity of yours.

It's great that you like because you're the customer...no, that's not right.

Do you have data showing how many customers like it ? I haven't seen a flood of posts about how wonderful it is. I very much dislike that the page still even shows that I have rec'ed a post. Why do you think whether I rec 1 post or 30 posts is something I want to advertise ? I don't. The number will move to zero if this is something that is implemented. When you show that I have recommended a post, what does that say to anyone ?

I like the current profile page and don't see what it's missing. I also didn't see any suggestions on ITF that would lead to this new format. I did see suggestions that we were told would be implemented that haven't been.

If this is because you want it, be upfront about that because I don't see a groundswell of support for the changes.

rad

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/23/2009 12:05 PM
I like the current profile page and don't see what it's missing. I also didn't see any suggestions on ITF that would lead to this new format. I did see suggestions that we were told would be implemented that haven't been.

When I think of all the times people begged for the ability to filter out political posts on the Most Recced list, and the number of times people have asked for a better search (yeah, yeah, I know. They're "working on it") and we get Facebook type changes to the profile page instead, I really wonder if anyone is ever listening to us.

Nancy
still wondering what "enhanced" favorite fools means.

Author: TMFBreakerDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 2:18 AM
I very much dislike that the page still even shows that I have rec'ed a post.

I apologize that this is the case, and you're encouraged not to use the rec tool until we fix that further if you are truly worried that this information is too important or revealing. We're aiming to enable you to opt out of the experience altogether. This will likely cause people who opt out not to enjoy the additional feature development we'll do in future months and years (akin to saying "I like Internet Explorer 2 and just let me keep using that"), but for some it sounds like you don't like our direction -- or like how things are now, so it doesn't sound like you'll be missing anything.

I'm being very upfront: I think these changes are very positive and will lead to greater social networking within the world's greatest investing community. That said, I absolutely understand if there are people who don't want us to go that direction, and I hope you'll see within a few months that we're enabling you to stay put where you are with what you have.

My apologies again to those for whom what you rec is a very private act.

Foolishly,

David

Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 184 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 7:53 AM
I'm being very upfront: I think these changes are very positive and will lead to greater social networking within the world's greatest investing community.

Ahhhh, an admission that this is an imitation of Facebook, which I have chosen not to join, despite encouragement from several friends and family members.

I dunno - seems to me that TMF already is a pretty significant social network. Considering myself - I met the person who I now live with through TMF. In RL, I have met other fools, and have plans to meet an additional one within the next couple of weeks. I see lots of other references to gatherings of Fools. So the opportunities are there, if one chooses to take advantage of them.

Personally, I would like you to consider that too much of a good thing could lead to a degradation of the community, rather than an enhancement of the community.

That said, I absolutely understand if there are people who don't want us to go that direction, and I hope you'll see within a few months that we're enabling you to stay put where you are with what you have.

My apologies again to those for whom what you rec is a very private act.

I think that with out the opportunity to 'edit' or 'take back' an accidental rec, or a rec that has been re-considered, it's not just that a rec is a 'private thing'. So, if you are going to remain on this course, I would suggest that in addition to opting out completely, you would provide the opportunity to change a rec that has already been given.

AJ

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 185 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 8:16 AM
We're aiming to enable you to opt out of the experience altogether

You're not listening. We want to be able to opt IN to the 'experience'. Not opt OUT.

Normally, I'm a very patient person, but I am beginning to think that the Fool does not understand its community at all.

Andrea

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 186 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 8:28 AM
Normally, I'm a very patient person, but I am beginning to think that the Fool does not understand its community at all.
===*===

Oh I think they do. But it's like driving a herd, the cows have one idea but the guys on horseback another.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 10:44 AM
You're not listening. We want to be able to opt IN to the 'experience'. Not opt OUT.

Sometimes I wonder if the members are using the Fool in a manner that The Powers That Be never intended. It would certainly explain why they want everyone to be in everyone else's face all the time.

Some of us like some privacy. And with all the changes (have you noticed that I've never received a response to what 'enhanced' means in relation to Favorite Fools?) it looks as though privacy is taking a distinct second place (or maybe 15th place) to "we need to copy what everyone else is doing."

There was a time when people came here because the Fool was different

Nancy

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 188 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 10:48 AM
"But it's like driving a herd, the cows have one idea but the guys on horseback another. "

Or like trying to drive a herd of cats ;-)

Regards, Ken

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 189 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/24/2009 6:59 PM
Oh I think they do. But it's like driving a herd, the cows have one idea but the guys on horseback another.

true.

but i still think the better analogy is school admin v third-graders

=w

Author: akaKEZ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 9:04 AM
true.

but i still think the better analogy is school admin v third-graders

Nasty! ;o)

Author: xraymd Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 192 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 12:00 PM
Recommendations: 9
Greetings, TMFBreakerDave, do you have any results from focus groups or other means of measurement that demonstrate that the community shares your positive view of the changes you propose to implement?

From where I sit (and what is also my own opinion), the proposed changes are being resisted, not embraced, by a significant percentage of the participants because they are COUNTER to the experience that Fools have been so far enjoying.

If you were taken aback by the backlash, it suggests to me that insufficient prior sampling was done before attempting to roll out the changes. I know you think these features are positive and will have benefits but your community is telling you it "ain't so" for us.

What is it about social networking that you've felt these features would enhance on the Fool compared to what already happens here - and what does your focus group say about whether these features will enhance the daily experience of participating as we currently know it?

My two cents are that the changes are not enhancements; they are ways of forcing an interaction that goes well beyond the extent of what the majority of the posters wish to expose, or engage in.

The most-requested features that have not yet been implemented are the ones which would really most enhance the majority of the posters' experience, making it more likely that they would stick around and participate more enthusiastically. Not turn them off or drive them off. Where are your announcements about satisfying THOSE requests - receiving spontaneous and consistent feedback about what posters most want to improve seems to be the best kind of focus group result and the most worth delivering.

xraymd

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 12:22 PM
===*===

Driving a herd of cats would be a more accurate description.

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 195 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 4:08 PM
First Post ??? Cringe. You going to post my driver's license picture next?

I actually liked that. It was fun to go back and read what my very first post was.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 196 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 4:09 PM

Driving a herd of cats would be a more accurate description.

imo, we are MUCH more docile than a herd of Cats.

much less than a herd of Cattle ...

3d graders .. mostly docile, but one or three smart-A's that can mostly be ignored.

=
..... or suspended IF necessary.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 4:17 PM
imo, we are MUCH more docile than a herd of Cats.

much less than a herd of Cattle ...

3d graders .. mostly docile, but one or three smart-A's that can mostly be ignored.

I think I'd compare us to a large herd of dogs, of all types. Some want to run, some want to play, others like to herd other dogs, some fall asleep, and other are watchdogs. Some are obedient and come when called, and quite a few look upon all attempts to control them with an amused and cynical eye, then go their own way.

Nancy

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 199 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/25/2009 8:15 PM
=============
I think I'd compare us to a large herd of dogs, of all types. Some want to run, some want to play, others like to herd other dogs, some fall asleep, and other are watchdogs. Some are obedient and come when called, and quite a few look upon all attempts to control them with an amused and cynical eye, then go their own way.

but if you really put all those Dogs together, they would become a pack -- with Alphas & in-fighting & controllable only with Treats.

-
.... hmmm.... we are sort of like that

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/26/2009 9:52 PM
within a few months

a few months?

Months?!?!?!?

Seriously?

~~ Alison

Author: joycets Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 6/29/2009 1:57 PM
Why why why why? Why fix things that aren't broken?
complaints here for changes that are unneeded.

joycets

Author: TMFeatnbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 322 of 376
Subject: Re: New Member Pages Date: 8/14/2009 9:47 PM
I hate avatars.

I don't understand the need to make a change to the page (what with national debt, global warming and a shortage of young people taking accordion lessons) But I can live with it.

Avatars ... I may have to draw the line at stink'n avatars

Bears

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (134) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement