No. of Recommendations: 0
Flossary? Egads! Here are a few quick suggestions that came to mind: Foolery (Foolary?). Foolio. Anything but Flossary! :>

Rich
Print the post Back To Top
Be glad we didn't go with Fictionary. :)

And yeah we're absolutely open to all suggestions in the naming category. Just post them here and let's discuss it over.

I kinda like Foolio.
Foolery's not too bad, either.

Let Flossary marinate, though...it grows on you! Or maybe not.
I don't like Flossary either.

What about Fikipedia?

Rgds,

Emmet
No. of Recommendations: 1
The Flossary is out back behind the dental receptionist's counter where you can pick gum massaging string in various flavors and colors.

:P

Foolopedia?

Motwiki?

Foolonyms?
Fwiki

Motwiki

TMFwiki

Foollingo

Foolodex

Investiverse
I like Foolingo or Foolidex.

Gets our name in there much better than Flossary.

Cheers,
Jim
Foolingo sounds like an (awesome!) game show.

Foolidex I like.
I must admit I've been partial to Flossary ("Floss daily!") but I do like Foolidex, as well. One minor problem is the spelling -- people will type "Foolodex" etc. --D
I must admit I've been partial to Flossary ("Floss daily!") but I do like Foolidex, as well. One minor problem is the spelling -- people will type "Foolodex" etc. --D

Case in point, oh, wise one . . . I started three posts back with FoolOdex . . . :)

TMFwiki has started to grow on me, as well -- I like the personification, especially because this will be an organic thing. Then again, does "TMF" have a strong enough brand identity among the foolishly noninitiated . . . <defers question to a Foolish marketing guru>.
Flossary has a nice ring to it. The only thing I don't like about it is it implies a "Glossary". To me, the Flossary is more of a Foolish university of investing than a glossary. I've spent a little time trying to find a word that would capture the thought of a "Foolish School of investing" but, I have to admit, Flossary is hard to beat.

-John
Flossary has a nice ring to it, but I agree that the root of the word (glossary) is not a good enough description of what this is.

Im liking fWiki more and more.

How about fWiktionary ;)
Some more strange:

Motliki (Motley + Wiki)
Jesterpedia
Jesterwiki
Foolatabase

Mike
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on a TMF discussion board.

I disagree with everyone who thinks that 'Flossary' sounds like anything but a poorly named dental hygiene supply store. That said, 'Foolwiki' is good enough, if we get right down to it. And I know this is a stretch, but something like 'Rhode Island Fool of Design' is what came to mind when someone mentioned University. (Must be my love of Talking Heads.)

What about thinking along the lines of the Joker (sort of like a jester, no?), in honor of fallen Heath Ledger in his brilliant portrayal of the Bat Man's archnemesis? Joker's wild... 'WILD'? W.I.L.D.

Wiki something-something? Help me out here.

Meanwhile, count me among those who want to ditch the current name.
I'm kind of partial to Foolibrary, myself. A little misleading, but it has a nice sound to it.
Welcome to the boards Fleabagger, and welcome to Flossary!

I uploaded your lovely avatar from CAPS to the Flossary and placed it on your user page.
http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/User:FleaBagger

Feel free to move it around however you see fit. We'll work on getting a standard template for that page. Also per David G's suggestion, we'll get rid of that "User" part of your name by changing it to Fool.

Fool on -- JP
No. of Recommendations: 2
I like Foolingo or Foolidex.

I like Foolingo. I'm not wild about Flossary. (Sorry Dave!) It makes me think of flossing, dentists' drills, spitting in that little bowl, etc. Not exactly the best mind-picture for those of us who are dentist-phobes!

On the other hand, ones like fWiki, etc., conjure... ummm... well... less-than-savory things. (Think: Eddie Murphy's older routines crossed with Wikipedia.)

I think I like the "one-L" Foolingo better than two "L"'s. It has a bit of a visual ring to it.

I'm gonna see what I can come up with. I'm not the most creative person in the world, but I did help a friend by suggesting a slight tweaking to the sub-title of her book. She liked it and changed the title just before publishing. And I have the autographed copy with a note thanking me for the change to prove it! :o)

I briefly considered Foolia, but I'm not sure I really like that one. (I see Foolio has been suggested.) I was thinking it evoked a Latin feel (as in plural of Foolium), and used the ending of "pedia." But I'm guessing (hoping? praying?) there is something better out there that someone will come up with besides Flossary. (Or up with which someone will come. lol) No offense meant. It's just that I'm not wild about trips to the dentist.

Also, feel free to thoroughly trash anything I suggest. I won't take offense. After all, now is not the time to be bashful. Now is the time for all good Fools to be completely candid. Once it's out there as a done deal, well...

I'm still hoping Flossary can be improved upon. But if it becomes the nom by which it is known, I'll fully support it.

BTW... I'm honored to be having any input in this arena at all. Thanks for listening!

Best regards,
Kathie
No. of Recommendations: 5
First off thanks for the invite,hopefully I can be helpful in some capacity.

Flossary is not a bad name. It's easy to pronounce, easy to spell and easy to remember. All important things to consider when naming something.

that being said I think we can possibly do a little better, if you do decide to change it.

Typically I love portmanteaus as much as the next guy, but they seem to be everywhere these days so maybe we ought consider something different.

Here's some names I thought of, that are a bit different than what I've seen suggested so far.

TouchStone
Yorick

(both of the previous are names of famous Shakespearean Jesters)

Jester's Lore
Fool Trove
Fool Tome

or some other combination of the above e.g. Touchstone's Trove
Touchstone is a pretty cool character if you have read/watched As you Like it. Very merry guy and smart.

a background on Touchstone for the unfamiliar

" As You Like It features, like so many of Shakespeare's plays, a professional clown, Touchstone, and it's worth paying some attention to his role for what it contributes towards establishing and maintaining the upbeat comic spirit of the play. For the jester is the constant commentator on what is going on. His humour, pointed or otherwise, thus inevitably contributes to the audience's awareness of what is happening, and the way in which other characters treat him is often a key indicator of their sensibilities.

Touchstone is one of the gentlest and happiest clowns in all of Shakespeare. He comments on the action, makes jokes at other people's expense, and offers ironic insights about their situation. But throughout As You Like It, such traditional roles of the fool are offered and taken with a generosity of spirit so that his remarks never shake the firm comic energies of the play. When he ridicules Orlando's verses, Rosalind laughs along with him. When he points out to Corin (in 3.2) that the shepherd must be damned for never having lived at court, Corin takes it as good natured jesting (which it is). When Touchstone takes Audrey away from her rural swain, William, there are apparently no hard feelings (although much here depends on the staging). In this play, the professional jester participates in and contributes to a style of social interaction which is unqualified by any more sober and serious reflections. This makes Touchstone very different from the bitter fool of King Lear or from the most complex fool of all, the sad Feste of Twelfth Night , both of whom offer comments that cast either a shrewd, melancholy, or bitter irony on the proceedings. "

from
"Character of Touchstone in Shakespeare's As You Like It." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Aug 2008
<http://www.123HelpMe.com/view.asp?id=16144>.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Touchstone is a pretty cool character if you have read/watched As you Like it. Very merry guy and smart.

Ummmm... let me guess... a Shakespeare fan? :o)

I like a lot of what you suggested. Very different, yet well in touch with the Motley Fool name origins.

I could see myself going for TouchStone (also has the connotation of being something interesting and of value in weighing the value of other things).

From the Free Online Dictionary http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touchstone:
Touchstone:
2. An excellent quality or example that is used to test the excellence or genuineness of others: "...the qualities of courage and vision that are the touchstones of leadership..." Henry A. Kissinger.

OR
Noun 1. touchstone - a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "the schools comply with federal standards"; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"

I also kind of like Fool Trove, or FoolTrove. I think whatever name we finally settle on will work better if it's all one word.

On the other hand, if we're looking at something that will become ubiquitous (such as Wikipedia), perhaps something that is indicative of the Fool (such as TouchStone), but not with "Fool" in the name might be more palatable to those not "in the know" about Fooldom. (You know, getting them to comprehend and accept the difference between "fool" and "Fool.")

Of course, I suppose we're also hoping that the "Flossary" will bring more folks into the Fooldom fold, as well, and then they WILL understand the difference. :o)

Anyway, I kind of like "TouchStone." And the more I think of it, the more it grows on me.

Welcome to the Fool Wiki, Tastylunch! Excellent beginnings. I look forward to your contributions.

Best regards,
Kathie
When I read this suggestion of Touchstone and the description, I thought it would fit real well given TMF's own Shakespearean name origins.

Plus the added meaning of a source of authority or something to check something else against really weighs in favor of it.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia's entry on "touchstone":

----
Use of the touchstone revolutionized the concept of money. Use of the touchstone in Ancient Greece and Anatolia dates to circa 500 BC. The fourth century philosopher Theophrastus in the tract de lapidibus (On Stones) described the testing of gold by fire or by the touchstone.

Prior to its introduction gold and silver were common currencies, but these could easily be alloyed with a less expensive metal (tin and lead were common). These were less valuable, but they were difficult to test for. The invention of touchstone made it possible to test for such forgeries quickly and efficiently, and also to determine the relative value of different alloys. That paved the road for gold and silver to become standard equivalents of value, and eventually to government-issued currency which began as coins of pre-probed alloys and weights guaranteed by the mint.

That such a test was not always successful however, is shown by the famous story about Archimedes and the golden crown, where the philosopher developed a much more accurate test involving the density of the suspect crown.

Touchstone metaphor

By extension, the metaphorical use of touchstone means any physical or intellectual measure by which the validity of a concept can be tested (see also Acid Test, Litmus Test, Shibboleth).

The character of Touchstone in Shakespeare's As You Like It is described as "a wise fool who acts as a kind of guide or point of reference throughout the play, putting everyone, including himself, to the comic test".
----

Nice suggestion which should be seriously considered.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim and Kathie

I'm happy I contributed a name worthy of your consideration.

You two also figured out the other half of why I proposed the name.

Thanks for making my suggestion even better than I did :-)
Nice suggestion which should be seriously considered.

Here's one for the TMF legal department: Is TouchStone already taken as a possibility by virtue of registered trademark to someone else? i.e., Touchstone Pictures, etc.

Okay, I have done a cursory look and found that it is supposedly (per Wikipedia) a registered trademark of Agilent Technologies. I don't know much about trademarks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchstone_File
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark#Enforcing_trademark_r...

Drat, it looks like it might not be possible. By the same token, mightn't it be possible to get legal access to use it from the trademark owner? They might not mind letting us use it for our purposes. Who knows? We could make inquiries.

If we can use it, I'd like to lobby for its serious consideration on the short list of names from which we will eventually choose. Or Tom and David will eventually choose. Whoever's gonna do the choosing, I'd like it to be on the short list.

TouchStone

It has been really growing on me, for all the aforementioned reasons.

Best regards,
Kathie
Well, based on David's post about having it turn into a profile depository for members, anyone like FoolBook?

Derivative, yes, but very straightforward and you can almost guess what it might be (in the context of the website of course).

Just throwin' stuff out there...I love the name game! :)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi everyone, and thanks for the invite!

I've gotten a chance to edit a few pages and it's quite fun, and I'm thrilled that we're building this. Fool School was a great start to my investing knowledge base, but something like this is necessary for when you graduate.

But enough about that, let's get on to more important things:

I kinda like Flossary, however, it does not ring well. When I first got the email, I was very confused as to what it meant. Once I realized it was a combo of Fool and Glossary (not a word I use often) I got it, but it was a stretch.

I like the term Foolidex, and Fool Lore is OK. However, I think that you could go with Motley for this wiki -- the idea of Motley is more appropriate to a wiki because Motley is a combination of designs and colors and reflects the contributions of many that the Wiki will be.

So, my name suggestions are:

Motleypedia
(which has a wikipedia kinda vibe going on and leverages your brand, but the has a cleaner ring to it than Foolipedia, I think.)

Motley
(just Motley, nothing else, this will hook into your brand and should not be too much of a legal hassle)

Motley School
(which rhymes but is not very descriptive of the wiki)

Har1en
My best so far:

Definitive...evokes the word "definition" and our role as the definitive source for finance knowledge.
Advertisement