UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ChrisInLex One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 400  
Subject: New Post - Slow board Date: 4/22/2004 10:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thought I'd comment since the board seems a little slow of late. :-P

I just went to Spain. Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo. (Was supposed to hit Mallorca, but that didn't happen and it's a LONG, bitter story. :-)

Barcelona - Great city. Loved it. Gaudi was crazy yet cool.

Madrid - Big, lots to do. However they found another train bomb on my last day there, which does not contribute to high recommendations.

Toledo - Amazing town. I'm trying to determine how I might be able to spend a year or two living there.

So... who else has been out and about of late?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: StarBellyDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 385 of 400
Subject: Re: New Post - Slow board Date: 4/22/2004 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's been far too long since I've been overseas. I really miss it. On the other hand, I have to admit I'd be a bit leery of foreign travel under the circumstances. Not that I wouldn't do it, just that I wouldn't feel as freely comfortable as I used to while doing it.

I've heard many great things about Spain, though your mention of Toledo was the first I'd ever really heard about it. I think next on my list (besides a return to Paris, which remains my favorite city of all) will be Florence, Italy. Have you been there?

Author: ChrisInLex One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 386 of 400
Subject: Re: New Post - Slow board Date: 4/22/2004 8:42 PM
The bombings in Madrid happened about 3 weeks before I went. I more or less decided that I'm not going to live in fear. At the time my logic also was based on a potentially incorrect assumption that Madrid was probably the safest place to go after the bombings... I assumed security would be heightened, etc.

Whatever the case, my trip in Spain was uneventful. Yes, they found a bomb on the train tracks as we were leaving, and then the ringleader of the previous bombings blew up himself along with that police officer. But I still never felt any threat while there.

It was actually my first foray into Europe, so I have not yet been to Paris or Florence. I'd love to see both though... and now I'm realizing that two or three days is nowhere NEAR enough time in any given city.

Toledo was GREAT from a historical perspective although I don't know that there's a lot to do there. However, the pace was slower and the environment was gorgeous. I'd live there based on the fact that it's predominantly rural yet still close to Madrid.

But... at the moment I'm trapped in middle management with no serious thoughts of escape (except on the bad days when I realize that Dilbert's world is not an exaggeration).

Adios for now...
Chris

Author: maryf101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 389 of 400
Subject: Re: New Post - Slow board Date: 5/6/2004 9:49 AM
My first trip to Europe was last year. We traveled to Greece, CZ Republic, Ireland, and Scotland. I absolutely loved CZ Republic--Prague was so beautiful (and packed w/ tourists and I was warned of pickpockets) but the countryside was magnificient and very cheap--beers cost .40 and an excellent meal $5! The people were sooo friendly.

Scotland is right up there too--we had surprisingly excellent weather and the scenery was lovely--both in the country and in Glasgow and Edenburgh. Edinburgh reminded me a bit of Disney World while Glasgow is a working city full of interesting architecture.

Greece was fun but the anti-Americanism runs fairly deep--lots of anti-Bush graffitti. Ireland was fun too.

Author: StarBellyDave Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 390 of 400
Subject: Re: New Post - Slow board Date: 5/10/2004 12:18 AM
Recommendations: 0
My first trip to Europe was last year. We traveled to Greece, CZ Republic, Ireland, and Scotland. I absolutely loved CZ Republic--Prague was so beautiful (and packed w/ tourists and I was warned of pickpockets) but the countryside was magnificient and very cheap--beers cost .40 and an excellent meal $5! The people were sooo friendly.

I concur! Prague rules: cheap, fun, beautiful ... and that's just the women :-) But seriously, great place.

Your itinerary, or at least the four countries you listed, sounds like a dream. Ireland and Scotland have been near the top of my list for a while now, and I've always wanted to visit Greece as well.

I dated a girl from Northern Ireland for a while, and we were about to visit her home (Derry, if memory serves) when for some reason we broke up. I cannot for the life of me recall why I broke up with her, because I have absolutely zero bad memories of her or anything in the relationship. But I digress ... as a result of that odd break up, I never fulfilled my dream of getting to Ireland.

Scotland is right up there too--we had surprisingly excellent weather and the scenery was lovely--both in the country and in Glasgow and Edenburgh. Edinburgh reminded me a bit of Disney World while Glasgow is a working city full of interesting architecture.

Your comment about Edinburgh is interesting: in what way is it like Disney World? I've never been but I have a hard time latching on to the concept.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement