Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFSkiii Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 649  
Subject: New puter Date: 2/13/2008 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Looks like this board has been quiet lately, and so have I on the boards in general, so I'm going to try to kickstart both with my plans for my new home-brew PC in this board. I'd love to hear any comments on it.

Quick background: I have built my own pc's after I bought my first one about 15 years ago. I very nearly decided this time to just buy a pre-built pc after having a lot of troubles with my latest, but once I got those issues solved and realized there aren't that many good offerings out there, I decided to go the home-brew route again.

My goal with this new pc is to have a crazy fast cutting edge machine that will play FPS games silky smooth, be small enough to comfortably carry to LAN parties, and be as quiet as possible with minimal fan noise. Here is what I'm plannin' on:

Intel Quad core QX9650 CPU
- Pricey, but awesome tech (no silicon), and awesome fast

Asus P5E motherboard
- 8 phase power for cool high efficiency, and Asus makes the most solid boards

4GB Corsair DDR2 RAM
- DDR3 is still stoopid expensive, and you don't get all that much higher performance... for now

Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB video card w/heatpipe cooling
- Factory overclocked to 700Mhz

WD Raptor 150GB drive
- Small, but the fastest home drive available

Lian-Li PC-A05B case
- Smaller than normal, lightweight aluminum at only 12 lbs, and looks sweet

Zalman 750W power supply w/heatpipe

Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme heat sink
- Gotta love the name, but this thing is supposedly the coolest of them all

Vista x64
- Going to try it out just to see how things go with gaming. Also the only way to see all 4GB of memory, and it seems to run smoothly here at work

Optical drive, no floppy, some sound absorbing foam, Creative X-fi card

That's about it. I can't wait to build it, should be sick fast.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement