UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jackiewolper Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: New Social Security Number Date: 5/24/2000 9:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have received an offer that I can start over with a new SSAN for credit card and loans only. I would keep my regular number for employment and taxes. They guarantee a $5000 credit line with a new credit card. The cost is $130. I read the other posting where I should report them to my State Attorney General. If its illegal, how can they advertise that it is? Thanks for any comments.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: emtwo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34650 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/24/2000 10:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
According to Gerri Detweiler, author of "The Ultimate Credit Handbook", under the new credit repair law, creating a "New" identity is illegal, and misrepresenting your SSAN is a federal crime.

Do not even think of taking this route.

JMHO,

Michael

Author: Dawn77 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34652 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/24/2000 10:21 PM
Jackie,

It's a scam--RUN!!!!!!!!

Dawn

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34658 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 12:45 AM
>>>>>I have received an offer that I can start over with a new SSAN for credit card and loans only. I would keep my regular number
for employment and taxes. They guarantee a $5000 credit line with a new credit card. The cost is $130. I read the other posting
where I should report them to my State Attorney General. If its illegal, how can they advertise that it is? Thanks for any
comments. <<<<<<<<

It's illegal, you can't use two SSNs at the same time. People skirt the law all the time. You are entitled to a new SSN once in your life, but to do it legally, everything that had your old SSN is supposed to transfer over to your new one. (At least as far as I recall, from a friend that was researching this about 5 years ago.)

Ishtar

Author: shfrank Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34659 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 1:11 AM
If you received the "offer" in the mail you could start by sending it or a copy to your local postmaster.

I seem to remember getting an e-mail like that once. If it's electonic you might try your state's Attorney General's office or the Better Business Bureau. I'm afraid I just deleted mine.

Maybe Tony or Hunzi would have some ideas???

Susan
:^)

Author: RPenders One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34663 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 6:03 AM
Its really strange this post should come up today as I just yesterday finished reading a book entitled "Life After Debt" by Bob Hammond. I found it at the library.

In it he talks about this very thing. He makes it sound perfectly legal as long as you are not trying to hide from anything. For example, if all your debts are paid off and you just want to start fresh without them on your back, then you can do this. I find it very hard to believe it is legal. As everyone here pointed out it seems very "shady".

The people who sent you the "offer" probably are going to do the same thing he tells you how to do. It was definitely one of those books that made me think "if only...mmmm, maybe, nah not worth it".

Do we have any lawyers out there who can tell us what the law says about it? This author claims he talked with attorneys and its all on the up and up (I too find that hard to believe)

Rhonda

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34666 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 7:06 AM
Recommendations: 1
If you received the "offer" in the mail you could start by sending it or a copy to your local postmaster.

I seem to remember getting an e-mail like that once. If it's electonic you might try your state's Attorney General's office or the Better Business Bureau. I'm afraid I just deleted mine.

Maybe Tony or Hunzi would have some ideas???

Indeed!

Any scam should be reported. If it's received via the US Postal Service, then it should be reported to the them. You just have to call your local postmaster who will direct you from there.

If you receive email fraud, there's a place to report that too. In fact, TMF worked very closely with the FBI in setting up such an area--it was so successful that Janet Reno herself called to thank the Fool, and she was given a Fool cap (which truly delighted her!). : )

Here's the link for that one:

https://www.ifccfbi.gov/

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: vwhittem Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34680 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 11:07 AM
"If its illegal, how can they advertise that it is? Thanks for any comments."

People can & will advertise anything they think will make them a buck.
We have several of those local all-classified papers (Thrifty Nickel, etc). I usually see at least one ad per week for those "get your cable TV for free" bypass boxes. Which are illegal.
All we can do is report the ads for illegal stuff as we spot them. (It's kinda like telephone boiler room operations that do illegal stuff via the phone until they're shut down. And then they pop up under another name someplace else. Kinda like mushrooms.)

My favorite story is a guy who was reported to the Postal Service. His ad read something to the effect of "send me $1." People complained when they got nothing back. When the Post Office read the ad -- the man never promised anything in return. He just said -- send me money & lots of folks did. Technically he wasn't breaking the law. Just playing on people & their gullibility.

I agree with the other post-ers. Sounds like a scam to me. To quote Monty Python -- "run away, run away!"

Vanessa

Author: Toto2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34682 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 11:17 AM
>>>>>I have received an offer that I can start over with a new SSAN for credit card and loans only. I would keep my regular number
for employment and taxes. They guarantee a $5000 credit line with a new credit card. The cost is $130. I read the other posting
where I should report them to my State Attorney General. If its illegal, how can they advertise that it is? Thanks for any
comments. <<<<<<<<

Everyone's right. It's illegal.

But look at the other danger...for 130 bucks, one can get a $5,000 credit line!

Kinda gives you The Heebies, don't it?!

mike

Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34683 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 11:19 AM
I've heard the technique they use is to declare you to be a small business with an emplyeer TIN. A TIN is a SSN for businesses. You will often see your employeer's TIN on your W2. The idea is that you conduct your business under your business name/SSN, receiving credit, etc.

It is kind of a gray area. I'm sure that if it is done with the intent to defraud it is illegal.

Author: seasonedfool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34694 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 12:34 PM
Don't do this. I did it back in 94 and it's not worth it. It's not a social security number, it's a tax id number. These are not the same. The first thing a loan agent is going to ask you for is a social security card. Obviously you will not have one with the new number on it because you don't have a valid SSN. The other fallback is that this new number credit file will get crossed with your SSN credit file and then the new number is worthless. Trust me when I tell you from experience that it is not worth it.

Patrick

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34698 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 1:01 PM
Anyone can advertise anything they feel like. Email is not censored before being sent out; neither is the mail. [Thank goodness!] People can and do advertise illegal things, betting that they'll be able to make a few quick bucks before they flee the authorities, or that the authorities will deem their illegal acts "not worth pursuing."

You should still report something if it's illegal, no matter how much you wish it were legit.

PS. their "$5000 credit line" is only at their store where products cost 4x as much and require a 25% down payment.

Author: Toto2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34704 of 308881
Subject: Re: New Social Security Number Date: 5/25/2000 3:06 PM
My favorite story is a guy who was reported to the Postal Service. His ad
read something to the effect of "send me $1." People complained when
they got nothing back. When the Post Office read the ad -- the man never
promised anything in return. He just said -- send me money & lots of folks
did. Technically he wasn't breaking the law. Just playing on people & their
gullibility.

Sort of off topic, but there is a classic story of a radio DJ (in Dallas, I think) back in the late 70's who went on the air, asking people to send him $1.00. He got something close to 20-grand! Of course, he gave it all to a charity.

Lately, I've been getting those mass market emails, asking me to send a dollar or two to the name "at the top of the list", and add my name to the bottom, guaranteeing I'll make $500,000 within a few months, blah, blah, blah...

I often wonder just exactly how much the guy who originated the idea has actually made. Not that I'm tempted, mind you, but just curious...

mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement