UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190032  
Subject: New Sophos Threat Report,,, Date: 12/4/2012 12:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Yes, it's not going to get any easier, the Malware & Hacker-Train just keeps Chugging along...

TK...

http://www.sys-con.com/node/2470199

(Snipped)

80 Percent of Attacks in 2012 Were Redirects From Legitimate Sites and 27 Percent of All Cybercrime Was Linked to 'Blackhole' Exploit Kit.

This and More in the New Sophos Threat Report -- Outlining the Changing Threats and New Platforms Challenging IT Security

This was the year of malware. In particular, according to the latest Sophos annnual report on cybersecurity, the year that's coming to a close saw a resurgence of web malware, and 80% of attacks on the web came in the form or redirects from legitimate sites infiltrated with malicious code. At the same time, the report warns, cybersecurity is not just about the desktop computer or Windows anymore. The continuous rise of smartphones, tablets as well as social media has given ill-intended hackers new platforms to exploit.

In the Security Threat 2013 report, Sophos underlines the risks posed by the sheer amount of platforms hackers can now take advantage of. "Throughout 2012, hundreds of millions of users flocked to social networks -- and so did attackers." read the report. "They built creative new social engineering attacks based on key user concerns such as widespread skepticism about Facebook’s new Timeline interface, or users’ natural worries about newly posted images of themselves."

Subject: Re: New Sophos Threat Report,,, Date: 12/4/2012 6:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
They built creative new social engineering attacks …

In other words, they've given up on exploiting security flaws in the OS, and now exploit security flaws in humans.

You can have a titanium front door with 10 deadbolt locks, but if you open it up to anyone who knocks…

I don't think better security software will solve this problem. I think we just need to focus on teaching users to be suspicious.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182785 of 190032
Subject: Re: New Sophos Threat Report,,, Date: 12/4/2012 8:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
I don't think better security software will solve this problem. I think we just need to focus on teaching users to be suspicious.

It is good to be a pessimist. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant ones.

I got an e-mail, allegedly from a friend of mine who does a lot of travelling professionally (a musician). I knew she was in Chicago for a few weeks (staying away from Queens where she lives) for the duration of Sandy storm. So when I got this e-mail that said she wanted me to wire her $950 by Western Union, presumably to England where her passport, money, etc., were stolen, I was a lottle bit suspicious. I sent her an e-mail to her other e-mail address (she has several), to check, she said to send no money. She was not in England at all, but back home. She then put it on her Facebook warning her other friends to send no money.

I do not even know if Western Union does business outside the US. But I do not much care. I think I would have been more likely to wire her the money c/o the U.S. consulate in England, where they could be sure it was really her.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement