Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dont2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18  
Subject: New Store Format Date: 10/13/1999 8:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Per 10/13/99 Dayton Daily News:

EBSC opened the first store of its new design at Warsaw, Indiana. This is the prototype for future stores. It has a circular layout to optimize customer ease of access to merchandise, customer service people in departments, but checkout at central wrapdesks. It is 2/3 the size with lower construction and operating costs than previous stores. Sales revenue is expected to be $148/sq ft. Another store is scheduled to open next month in Frankfort, KY. The new layout is part of EBSC's response to shareholder pressure to restore profitability. It has already divested its money losing shoe chain and announced a $24 million stock buyback.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: samgraham2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 18
Subject: Re: New Store Format Date: 10/14/1999 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Thanks for the information.

Elder-Beerman's "new" design sounds like a rip-off of the Sears Roebuck & Co racetrack design that they developed for all their stores about 7 years ago. To be honest with you, I wasn't too wild about it at Sears and thought it took quite a bit away from the old Sears. Here is a question for you since you are in the Elder-Beerman merchansing area: "How is business?" Are the stores real busy, are the parking lots full?

Thanks for your updates ...

SaM

Author: dont2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 18
Subject: Re: New Store Format Date: 10/14/1999 11:13 AM
Sam-

The EBSC store in the vicinity of our house is in Fairfield Commons, Dayton's newest and largest mall. It always seems at least as busy as its mall competition: Parisian, Lazerus, Penney and Sears. We shop there. However, this is a flagshop store that is more upscale than the typical EBSC. I suspect the real question is how are the 60 some older stores in small towns and cities across Indiana, Ohio and West Virginia doing. Also, I also observe that the strip mall discount stores (Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc.) that saturate the area around the mall itself often seem busier. I suspect these are the real competition.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement