UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10542  
Subject: New sub Date: 9/28/2012 2:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Today I smashed the piggy bank and bought a Velodyne Optimum-10 sub that has internal equalization to replace a ten year-old PSB sub that hasn’t.

My system allows two subs and, last year, I bought a Velodyne SPL-1000R. For some reason running both was difficult in setting up the bass. I am a believer in buying speaker in pairs and the two, the Velodyne and the PSB Subsonic 111 didn’t match. Nothing wrong with the PSB, when I bought the sub it was the best available in that price range, yet the design was a ported bass and that put out a different wave in the room to the Velodyne (front firing, no ports). I spent much time positioning the subs to get the bass working but it was a compromise. If I had both front firing or both ported I don’t think it would have been as hard to setup. Having a mismatch was difficult. So the decision to get the Optimum-10.

So, after being offered a price I couldn't refuse, I set up the new Optimum-10 and ran the EQ program (the speaker comes with a mike to do this) and set the crossover to 80 Hz, THX recommend. I haven’t finished getting the bass the way I want it (lows that add rather than those smashing small ornaments) and I’ll do that this weekend. However, in the initial placement and EQ, the sound overall seems clearer.

Elly thought the dialog on my test (Master and Commander) was easier to hear and my CD test (Ray Lynch’s Bests) seemed to have better location use of the other speakers.

What I haven’t done is run the Yamaha amp’s YPAO speaker balance. It will be interesting to see if the other speakers than bass change settings.

Let you know.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement