Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: knight427 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121218  
Subject: New Tax Cut for A/E Date: 11/10/2004 10:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek04/tw1015/1015tax_bill.htm

I have been unable to find specific information regarding the new tax cuts passed in the JOBS tax bill. I have a side business and will likely be fully self-employed in '05. I provide consulting services to architects and engineers that are somewhere in between the two disciplines. I am neither a licensed architect nor an engineer, though a few states offer engineering certification for what I do (mine does not). Anyone know if a license is required for the deduction?

knight427
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74039 of 121218
Subject: Re: New Tax Cut for A/E Date: 11/10/2004 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek04/tw1015/1015tax_bill.htm

I have been unable to find specific information regarding the new tax cuts passed in the JOBS tax bill. I have a side business and will likely be fully self-employed in '05. I provide consulting services to architects and engineers that are somewhere in between the two disciplines. I am neither a licensed architect nor an engineer, though a few states offer engineering certification for what I do (mine does not). Anyone know if a license is required for the deduction?

Here's a link to the text of the AJCA bill (the JOBS bill was absorbed into AJCA. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c108:./temp/~c108mPk0S6
You can search for "architect". My guess is that your services would not qualify for the deduction as they don't seem to be directly associated with a US construction project. Of course, I may not fully understand your business.

Ira

Author: knight427 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74040 of 121218
Subject: Re: New Tax Cut for A/E Date: 11/10/2004 11:53 AM
Here's a link to the text of the AJCA bill (the JOBS bill was absorbed into AJCA. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c108:./temp/~c108mPk0S6
You can search for "architect". My guess is that your services would not qualify for the deduction as they don't seem to be directly associated with a US construction project. Of course, I may not fully understand your business.

Ira
---

`(iii) engineering or architectural services performed in the United States for construction projects in the United States.

I am an acoustic consultant and provide design recommendations to architects and engineers relating to sound and vibration. This involves both engineering techniques of calculation and architectural drafting of design concepts. In the end though, the architect and engineer are responsible for the structural integrity of the design. I do not stamp anything for approval, ever. By my reading, I think I qualify. However, I will likely consult a tax professional.

knight427

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74041 of 121218
Subject: Re: New Tax Cut for A/E Date: 11/10/2004 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
I am an acoustic consultant and provide design recommendations to architects and engineers relating to sound and vibration. This involves both engineering techniques of calculation and architectural drafting of design concepts. In the end though, the architect and engineer are responsible for the structural integrity of the design. I do not stamp anything for approval, ever. By my reading, I think I qualify. However, I will likely consult a tax professional.

To the extent that you are providing services related to a specific
project, I would agree that you might qualify. To the extent that you are providing "generic" consulting advice/training, I would think not. But, as you conclude, consulting a tax professional who understands your business is the safest course of action.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement