Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: New Theme... Date: 10/29/2011 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
We have a group that meets every Friday evening in the bar of our neighborhood Bistro. We drink and eat dinner in the bar. Sometimes there are a dozen or more of us, while other times only 4. Last night, there were 4 couples. At 60/61, my wife and I are the youngest, with the others above 65 but below 70. Of all the folks there, I'm the only one with a really significant health problem. I've got heart failure, and I've been on and off the transplant list a few times over the past year. Currently, I'm reasonably stable, although significantly impaired. Well, the other three couples were all talking about how they need to work harder spending their money by taking trips and such. Their main point being that you never know when your exiration date is coming up. They all had stories about friends with terminal cancer and the like. My wife and I stayed quiet, since we already know what it's like to see the expiration date start coming into focus. Bottom line, though, is that fact that so many of our friends are now focusing on consuming what they have saved over their working lives, as opposed to saving for the future.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17411 of 19483
Subject: Re: New Theme... Date: 10/29/2011 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Bottom line, though, is that fact that so many of our friends are now focusing on consuming what they have saved over their working lives, as opposed to saving for the future.

Well I guess spending is good for the economy. I myself am more frugal thinking about my future and also leaving a legacy to my children.

Author: sgtpp214 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17412 of 19483
Subject: Re: New Theme... Date: 10/29/2011 7:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
We are spending our kids inheritance. By the way they both make more money than we ever imagined we would have.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17413 of 19483
Subject: Re: New Theme... Date: 10/29/2011 10:28 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<My wife and I stayed quiet, since we already know what it's like to see the expiration date start coming into focus. >>

I can understand that that could creep you out.

But with enough panache, you might have announced that with your heart condition you were planning to volunteer to be the first person launched into outer space on Donald Trump's first passenger rocket launch...

I doubt any of 'em could have topped that.

Good luck on managing and solving your difficult health condition!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17414 of 19483
Subject: Re: New Theme... Date: 10/30/2011 12:05 AM
I myself am more frugal thinking about my future and also leaving a legacy to my children.

That is a noble position to take but I have to agree with billjam's post in an earlier thread. But each one of us have to live our lives the best we can with the family we have .....

http://boards.fool.com/think-of-all-the-gen-x-y-and-z-worker...

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17415 of 19483
Subject: Re: New Theme... Date: 11/4/2011 7:41 AM
Res, I'm so sorry about your health problem and hope you can find improvement soon via transplant or something new from research.

Back when I thought my days were numbered (that I would live to maybe 70-75 and with worsening health en route), we decided to get our overseas travel accomplished in our 40s & 50s. Now we go go RVing, which makes it easier for me to pace myself and rest. And my health improved a lot and the prognosis looks more like 75-80 now, almost normal but alas, my husband is deteriorating faster now. Gather ye rosebuds/make hay and all that!

I've never been particularly motivated by leaving a family legacy. I just don't want to be a burden. Without LTCI, I am a little worried. But we always figured my strong as an ox husband would take care of me. Now that it looks like my weak as a kitten self will be caring for him, I sure wish I'd gotten him LTCI when he would've qualified for it (I already couldn't have by the time I ever learned of such a product). And I wish I could afford to help pay for Montesssori school for my grandson, but we are losing $ just having me live in NYC to babysit during his first 2 years.

Speaking of which, gotta bust a move as DD has a 9am class in Fridays so I need to shower, get my lunch & backpack ready, and haul on over.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement