Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In searching for options for our 401k that can be self-directed, it appears that an S&P Equity Index Fund is offered, but the company site lists NO ticker symbol. Am I safely assuming that it's because the account is closed to outside investments? Also, how can I track this as part of an overall port if I can't get a tick on it?

Thanks for your help!

Marce :)
Print the post Back To Top
*In searching for options for our 401k *

Oops! It's not a 401K really, it's a "Savings Plus" program (457S) plan through State of California. :)

Thanks!
Many 401Ks offer private investment choices which are not listed places like Morningstar.com because they are not public.

In that case you have to rely on the information provided by your 401K plan and in the prospectus. Read the information carefully. If its an S&P Index fund compare its performance with that of Vanguard Index 500 and the S&P Index for similar time intervals.

Otherwise, you follow its performance by your statements and by the services provided by your 401K administrator. Some will provide daily values of investments by phone or online. Others provide information only in statements.

I would say don't worry about it. Just check those statements out carefully when you receive them to see if the funds are performing or not. And if they are not ask your employer for better investment options.
Hello Paulekler and thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for enough information to be able to *choose* an investment so that I can eventually get a statement. Because it's a private fund, (and because government sometimes loves red tape) I'm unable to get a ticker on the funds so that I can compare them. Trying to get through to the plan administrator is futile...but I'm making every effort.

Once I find the ticker, I'd like to compare the funds to S&P and other options. Do you know of a site that might offer the ability to compare funds side by side for a number of different options?

Thanks!
For side by side comparisons of funds that have tickers, I prefer quicken.com available on line via excite.com financial page. Yahoo also offers graphs as do several other services.
Thanks!! :)

Marce
Advertisement