Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: roadrunner36 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 652  
Subject: New to fishing Date: 6/5/2001 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, all. The family and I are new to fishing. Sure, we eat them. But catch them??? So off we go to a kids fishing day sort of thing. A great time was had by all. All 5 kids. No fish were caught. A few around us caught one or two. It was catch and release. Next Sat. is another kids fishing day. Monday after that we are going to get our fishing licenses. We live near a river. Went fishing there yesterday. No bites. We went about 1pm. But there were plenty of jelly fish in the water. Does that make a difference? I admit to knowing NOTHING about fishing. What time is better than another? Any clues appreciated! RR
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jdecourcey One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 652
Subject: Re: New to fishing Date: 6/5/2001 11:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Beth,
Welcome to the board. That brings our total up to three. :) I am far from an expert. To be honest I am far from being good. I enjoy fishing a lot though. There is nothing like feeling the tug of a fish.

As far as the time of the day to go fishing...I generally try to avoid the middle of the day. I usually go early in the morning or a few hours before sunset. Unless I am looking for some catfish then we go after sunset.

I see that you are from NC. What part? I grew up in High Point. I love NC. Great place. I hope to return there when I get out of the military.

You do want to get a fishing license. It is much better to spend the 15-20 dollars than to pay the fine.

Feel free to ask anything. Hopefully more people will join in.

Jason

Author: roadrunner36 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 652
Subject: Re: New to fishing Date: 6/6/2001 6:23 AM
I think fishing's attraction is that is like winning something. Like a sweepstakes, almost. You do this, do that and with luck. You get a fish! It's a wonderful challenge. I see why so many people like to fish. I live by the outer banks. Just inside of them. Near the Marine base here. Cherry Point. Noisy sometimes, but nice. I think High Point is about 5 hours from here. Looking forward to getting a few hints! RR

Author: trico8xll Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 652
Subject: Re: New to fishing Date: 6/8/2001 3:37 PM
Welcome. Welcome Welcome. Both to the Board and to Fishing.
I fish a lot but am by no means an expert, although sometimes the fish are kind enought to let themselves be caught.
I am an avid catch and release person since the fish that is released can be caught by someone else tomorrow.
To learn- go to your nearby flyfishing store. They have lessons throughout the summer for adults and kids. Don't be surprised if your 11 year old boy(if one of yours is that age) does better than anyone else. Those that I have seen have the knack.
But, the most important thing is fun--kids will learn when it is fun (as will adults)
Having just retired (early) I am planning on spending the summer fishing--now that I've gotten over this wretched flu

Regards

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement