UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: itsdulytime Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75649  
Subject: New to Fool - lots of questions Date: 2/3/2004 9:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello. This is my first time posting on this website and I have a lot of questions. Up until last week I really knew absolutely nothing about any sort of investing. I am single and 26 years old. I have never taken the initiative to learn about investing, as I was always hoping to meet and settle down with someone that would be able to do that for me. Well, that isn't going to be happening any time soon – and I need to get this figured out because my “young” years are running away from me. I have made it through Fools School and couldn't resist the temptation to get advice from some of the Fools out there.

First I will let you know what I am currently doing with my money and some investing. I work for a local government unit and put away money each paycheck into our 457 plan. I put 100 percent of the money into a Passively Managed U.S. Equity Account, which is allocated 100% to the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Trust.

I also have a Traditional IRA that is invested in Russel's Lifepoints Aggressive Strategy Fund (A shares). I rolled over my 401(k) from a previous employer into this IRA. I now realize that I should have probably rolled it into my current 457 plan, but I didn't think my options in the plan were that good until I learned a few things from this website about indexing. I opened up this traditional IRA very blindly, and now I don't know what to do with it. Can I transfer that money somewhere else now even though I just opened up the IRA a few months ago? I only have about $4,000 in this traditional IRA, and am currently not contributing anything to it.

I also have a Roth IRA (B Shares) that I opened up when I was 22 because I had a little extra money and thought it sounded like a good idea. However after opening the Roth IRA I bought a house, and no longer had the funds to add to my Roth IRA. I currently only have about $1,000 in the Roth IRA. I opened the Roth through my bank (Bank One), and the money is allocated to an Investor Growth Mutual Fund. I also am not currently contributing to this Roth IRA.

At this point I only have about $300 to be putting towards retirement each month, and feel uneasy about having these IRA's floating out there. I guess my main question is, factoring in the amount I have in each of the IRA's, is it worth moving them around at this point, and how exactly do I do that. If I should move them somewhere, any suggestions, considering what I am putting money towards in my 457 plan?

Sorry this got so long, but I think writing down my questions has helped me a lot already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement