Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11665  
Subject: New toy? Date: 11/12/2012 5:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Okay, I've had the Porsche lust for years, never quite been serious about acting on it.

What has my interest right now is a 2006 Cayman S with 30k miles. At 20k miles, the owner installed a TPC Racing turbo kit, added a Quaife LSD, and a couple of other upgrades. It put down 366hp at the wheels on a mustang dyno, which they estimate to be 450+ at the crank. At just 3000 lbs, this thing has to be an absolute blast to drive. It's my preferred color - guards red - and they seem to have hit all the performance related checkboxes on the option sheet.

DW is on board, and wants to drive my s2000 and get rid of the TL. Only thing holding me back is the occasional horror story of an IMS bearing failure (a $12k engine grenade), plus the general unknown of someone else's modded car. But seriously, if you handed me a stock Cayman tomorrow, this is EXACTLY the car I would want to build. If it was a 2009 without the potential IMS issue, I'd probably have bought it already.

Decisions, decisions...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11414 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/12/2012 7:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
There have been a ton of threads at the forum.Miata.net>cartalk forum on the IMS bearing issue. There is a actually an after-market fix that costs several thousand, but the general feeling is, on a stock car, you can take your chances...assuming you can afford a new/used engine. I should note that a lot of the board members are Porsche owners.

With the TPC Racing turbo kit, I'd say all bets are off for everything.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11415 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/12/2012 8:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've spent a fair bit of time behind the wheel of Boxsters and Caymans, both on the street and on track. I rarely have felt the car lacked for sufficient power. A stock S is more than enough power for the chassis, imho.

A second-hand Porsche with aftermarket forced induction sounds like a risky buy to me, with not enough 'reward' to offset the potential for headaches and heartaches.

Unless you're buying it private party from the owner and you're intimately familiar with the car's history I'd be wary.

That, and the engine's in the wrong place. :) But ignoring that glaring flaw -- in six months or so we'll see the 981 Cayman hit the showrooms and if history is any guide, maybe your MY09+ specimens without the IMS will reach a more attractive price point, too.

Author: Fireballs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11416 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/12/2012 8:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
Srsly? A car with 10,000 miles of turbo stress that it wasn't designed for?

IMS bearing failure (a $12k engine grenade), plus the general unknown of someone else's modded car.

Listen to the little voice in the back of your head.

http://tinyurl.com/d4buywz

I would offer the same advice regardless of the make and model, or the pedigree of the turbo kit.

Neil

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11417 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 10:17 AM
Unless you're buying it private party from the owner and you're intimately familiar with the car's history I'd be wary.

It is a private party, and I spoke with the seller yesterday, so I have the car's full history. I even have a link to a page on the shop's website where they documented the turbo install on this particular car. The owner is an active PCA member, and this is his 7th Porsche.

IMS issue aside, I'm a little surprised everyone would pass on this turbo car. It sounds fairly mild at just 5psi, but it does seem like quite a bump in power.

Another thing to consider - the price on the 2006 is pretty attractive. For a cosmetically flawless car, even if the worst case scenario means I put a new engine in it, I'm still way ahead in price compared to buying a 2009. And way way ahead of buying a 2009 and paying for any aftermarket work myself.

I have an appointment with a local Porsche dealer tonight look at some of their Caymans. We'll see how this goes...

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11418 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 10:22 AM
I would offer the same advice regardless of the make and model, or the pedigree of the turbo kit.

Wow, of all the folks on here, I figured you'd be in favor of a properly tuned turbo (reasonable boost, conservative A/F ratio).

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11419 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 3:25 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

A thousand times no.

The engine in the Cayman and Boxster of this era are crap. Pure, total, complete, and utter crap.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11420 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 3:26 PM
It is a private party, and I spoke with the seller yesterday, so I have the car's full history. I even have a link to a page on the shop's website where they documented the turbo install on this particular car. The owner is an active PCA member, and this is his 7th Porsche.

IMS issue aside, I'm a little surprised everyone would pass on this turbo car. It sounds fairly mild at just 5psi, but it does seem like quite a bump in power.

Another thing to consider - the price on the 2006 is pretty attractive. For a cosmetically flawless car, even if the worst case scenario means I put a new engine in it, I'm still way ahead in price compared to buying a 2009. And way way ahead of buying a 2009 and paying for any aftermarket work myself.

I have an appointment with a local Porsche dealer tonight look at some of their Caymans. We'll see how this goes...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Run - run for your life.

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11421 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 3:51 PM

Tell us how you really feel!

;)

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11422 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 4:23 PM
I <3 Porsche. I would love to own one. But even if I was gifted an '06 Boxster/Cayman I would put it immediately up for sale.

It pains me to say, as in my heart I see it as a very glorified Golf/Bug but the TT if I was looking for small, fun and luxury in the price range and year range.

The other no brainer in my mind is a Corvette. You get, for the class, a pretty crappy interior (the steering wheel is shameful for starters) but the LS2 engine and the 6-speed in either configuration is an reliable as the sunrise, GOBS and GOBS and GOBS of torque, cheap and easy to maintain, repair and modify, a list of aftermarket providers and shops a mile long, and a very civilized daily drive that is also a blast on the track. The downside as noted is the Playskool interior and the stigma of a balding midlife crisis car. Given the C7 is on the brink of coming out an '06 or '07 model with low miles owned by said above balding old dude that truly babied it could probably be had for a very reasonable price. Given the mid-engine Corvette remains as mythical as a unicorn, I see little stigma in driving a C6. The C6 is down to 911 in size (surprise).

Nothing else really comes to mind. Sadly in the original price of say $45K to $65K and made in the mid 00's the list of what is fun and reliable in the used market is really, really short.

I wouldn't touch a used M3 from this period.

The C-Series Benz from this era was a steaming pile of endless problems with a GM grade interior.

I wouldn't touch the above mentioned Porsche.

Lexus wasn't making anything really "exciting."

The Cadillac CTS-V wasn't in its current incarnation but did exist with an LS2 engine. You can get those on the crazy cheap, but their rear differentials are made out of paper and chewing gum and hard to find one now of that era that wasn't hooned.

The STS-V is a rear bird but based on a God awful architecture.

The first year GT-R is infamous for self-destruction transmissions (first red flag should be if you use launch control for a full on throttle to the floor sprint, you void the warranty - so why provide launch control???).

Infiniti has some excitement but nothing that I would put in the same league as Porsche landing.

A Lotus Elise would be worth looking at, if you can fit in it. They are not practical for much more than commuting or the track.

The Audi TT isn't exactly the model of reliability from this era, but about as good as you're going to get from Germany in this time period.

The more I think about:

Lotus Elise
Chevrolet Corvette
Audi TT

In that order. If it were my money and I was smaller. The reality is I can't fit in a Lotus Elise (I'm 6'1") so it would be Corvette and then TT.

Full disclosure - I have a big soft spot for Audi

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11423 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/13/2012 4:43 PM
The engine in the Cayman and Boxster of this era are crap. Pure, total, complete, and utter crap.

I think that perhaps this is a bit overstated. There are a million of these engines on the road (and track) between the 986/987/996/997. Although the intermediate shaft does sometimes fail the problem isn't nearly as grim as the Internet Chicken Little Web Forum Brigade would have you believe.

If it happens to you it's a pretty bad day, sure, but the odds are absolutely in favor of it not happening to you. Doubly so if you never plan to put R-Comp tires on the car.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11424 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/14/2012 6:52 PM
I know several 6' and 6'-1" guys that fit in Elises just fine. You've got to have flexibility to get in and out, but the height - once seated - is no problem.

xtn

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11425 of 11665
Subject: Re: New toy? Date: 11/16/2012 10:00 AM
You've got to have flexibility to get in and out, but the height - once seated - is no problem.

crap

PSU

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement