UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: New TV Update Date: 11/29/2012 1:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Got the wall mount installed last evening and my buddy came over and helped me hang the TV.

Here's the new TV after arrival at the house.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/E3vGtHZuxDZH308ByP7FtZ...

The taped out rough size of the TV above the fireplace:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/606XzwHQCBUQXK77e-4OWZ...

The Monoprice wall mount rated for 200 pounds:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jeJMDDys-27j4MGj59dzqZ...

Hanging on the wall:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m__gGHyJmRXEg8e8Fj3kj5...

View from the couch:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/MfTm9eAYcXD_1K2zl2y4Dp...

I'd like to have it a bit lower on the wall, but this is as low as Mrs. xSSMBB will allow it so that she can hang a mantle there.

xSSMBB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9977 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 11/29/2012 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That is large.

I think you could still drop it a couple inches and still let the Mrs have her mantle. She won't want to mantle too high off the opening or it will look detached and floating.

RM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9978 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 11/29/2012 11:13 AM
I agree...too high. I think I commented on that earlier. Your wife might change her mind if she gets a stiff/tired neck after watching one of her movies.

Agree with the other poster that you should be able to lower it some and still have a mantle. (I hope she isn't going to put a vase of flowers and such on the mantle, or that will totally mess with the TV viewing.)

1poorguy

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9983 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 11/30/2012 12:35 AM
Chris, you didn’t say what style mantelpiece DW wants. Here’s a fairly good display http://www.smarter.com/se--qq-fireplace%2Bmantel%2Bpieces.ht...

As pointed out, the set may be a tad high. You’ll have to experience if it is after watching for a while. However, it may not be too high: it’s roughly the same height as a movie screen seen seated close to the front. A lot depends on what seating you have.

Our main TV is 60-in and the sofa has those lazy boy type seats at each end. Elly stretches out and, while she can see the screen comfortably, wouldn’t mind if it were a fraction higher.

By now you’ve probably had that sucker fired up. Betcha a dollar DW doesn’t think it’s too big (nor do you). It’s a really good size for the room.

A question. Where are you going to put your center speaker?

MichaelR

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9984 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 11/30/2012 12:48 AM
I actually mounted the 5 speakers in the ceiling. You can't see them in the pic, but they are there.

I don't have authorization yet for the .1 speaker just yet... I'm going to try and sneak in a new Amp tomorrow and get it all hooked up so that maybe tomorrow night we can have a family movie night after oldest dW's basketball game.

We'll see how well I can do that since I've got the plumber here all day tomorrow.

xSSMBB

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9987 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 11/30/2012 10:22 AM
If I understand right, you don't have a center yet. Well...you'll need something to put on that mantle, right? And a center channel is probably the most useful and practical choice!! (Beats the heck out of figurines or collector's plates!)

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9991 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 12/1/2012 4:12 AM
I don't have authorization yet for the .1 speaker just yet... I'm going to try and sneak in a new Amp tomorrow and get it all hooked up so that maybe tomorrow night we can have a family movie night after oldest dd's basketball game.

We'll see how well I can do that since I've got the plumber here all day tomorrow.

xSSMBB

Sneaking in an amp isn’t that hard: with a Sharpie write ‘plumbing supplies’ on the box.

But what amp did you chose? With the ceiling speakers in place I’d guess you’re getting a 5.1 amp but, then again, you didn’t say how many speakers you have set up. Details, Chris, details!

Would be most interested in your (and family’s) reaction to the first time the set got fired up. When we got our first 60-in. I realized that, to Elly, it was all transparent. Big set, nice sound, but less than a minute into it she was caught in content. Still is.

MichaelR

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9992 of 10547
Subject: Re: New TV Update Date: 12/1/2012 1:35 PM
Haven't picked an Amp yet... Yes, I've got 5 speakers in the ceiling, no sub yet... that will come later. :-D

Don't want to spend a ton of money on one, but want to get a decent one... There is actually an open box Denon at our local Best Buy that sounds interesting. Same with an open box Pioneer.

The first time we got it going, my youngest had a HUGE grin on her face. Now to get it tweaked and set right so that it looks amazing.

xSSMBB

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement