No. of Recommendations: 1
My television dates from 1998. It's a rear-projection big screen that was a floor model when we got it. It's served us well.

Problem is, it's STILL serving us well.

But I'm TIRED of seeing half the people's faces when I watch television. It's not the "picture quality", it's not the HDTV, it's the format. It's an old ratio screen size, not a new ratio screen size (widescreen). Since I have no way to reformat the signal of most of the "regular" channels I watch and the TV won't display the HD channels, big pieces of the screen on either side are getting removed.

That means that my husband can't see the sidebars on ESPN and a lot of the information during SportsCenter is hidden, on a lot of the TV I watch I only see half of people's faces, news station banners are cut off, etc.

It galls me no end to replace something that's still perfectly functional.

But I'm trying to figure out if it IS still functional. If its whole purpose is to properly display a picture and it can no longer do that, is it still functional?

I'm also concerned about the fact that it's not just the TV I'd have to replace. This thing is a GIANT floor model. If I get a similarly sized new TV (which I would, due to room size), I have a 55" model now.

It doesn't need a stand or anything because it's kind of its own stand. A new TV would need a stand and a place to put all the stuff that's currently ON TOP of the TV (rear projection, remember? It's more than two feet deep).

I WANT a new TV, but I can't figure out if I need one (not in the breathing sense, but in the "This no longer works the way it should" sense).

GSF
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement