UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884569  
Subject: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 8:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My television dates from 1998. It's a rear-projection big screen that was a floor model when we got it. It's served us well.

Problem is, it's STILL serving us well.

But I'm TIRED of seeing half the people's faces when I watch television. It's not the "picture quality", it's not the HDTV, it's the format. It's an old ratio screen size, not a new ratio screen size (widescreen). Since I have no way to reformat the signal of most of the "regular" channels I watch and the TV won't display the HD channels, big pieces of the screen on either side are getting removed.

That means that my husband can't see the sidebars on ESPN and a lot of the information during SportsCenter is hidden, on a lot of the TV I watch I only see half of people's faces, news station banners are cut off, etc.

It galls me no end to replace something that's still perfectly functional.

But I'm trying to figure out if it IS still functional. If its whole purpose is to properly display a picture and it can no longer do that, is it still functional?

I'm also concerned about the fact that it's not just the TV I'd have to replace. This thing is a GIANT floor model. If I get a similarly sized new TV (which I would, due to room size), I have a 55" model now.

It doesn't need a stand or anything because it's kind of its own stand. A new TV would need a stand and a place to put all the stuff that's currently ON TOP of the TV (rear projection, remember? It's more than two feet deep).

I WANT a new TV, but I can't figure out if I need one (not in the breathing sense, but in the "This no longer works the way it should" sense).

GSF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869234 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 9:25 AM
Recommendations: 4
If you can afford it, then it's ok to buy something that is a want. LBYM is not a vow of austerity.

When DH and I wanted a new tv, we saved up for it our of our discretionary fund for several months and got it for each other as an anniversary present. Perhaps if you had an occasion for which it was a gift you could assuage some of your guilt.

DEG

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869236 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 9:53 AM
Recommendations: 2
when we bought our DLP flat screen it was like a whole new world opened up. we found that the quality was way beyond expectations.

the plus side was old movies are great. And the biggest saving of all was the heat generated by the old set kept the room warm regardless of the time of year. now hardly any heat is generated.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869237 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 9:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
That means that my husband can't see the sidebars on ESPN and a lot of the information during SportsCenter is hidden, on a lot of the TV I watch I only see half of people's faces, news station banners are cut off, etc.

It galls me no end to replace something that's still perfectly functional.

It is not perfectly functional! If you enjoy watching television as much as I do, this is not a "want" but a "need".
We have two flat screen HD televisions and I love them. We also wrestled with ourselves about the cost but they have gotten much much cheaper over the years. We will be retiring soon and spending lots of time watching television in the evenings. My husband loves boxing and while he's enjoying ultimate fighting (although I cannot imagine why) I will be watching one of the lovey dovey Lifetime Movies on my own television. We rarely if ever go to the movies so we do not feel that we are being frivolous by spending money on cable.
So, do not feel guilty. You worked hard and you should enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hubby deserves to be able to see the sidebars on the ESPN channel.
You can donate your old television. There are plenty of places, I am sure, that will get good use out of your "perfectly functional TV".

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869238 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 9:57 AM
Recommendations: 0
I WANT a new TV, but I can't figure out if I need one (not in the breathing sense, but in the "This no longer works the way it should" sense).

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a traditional (big box) 27" TV bought in 2002. The picture's not bad, but I'm recently getting interested in a flat screen. I'd either put a flat screen on the same credezza I use for my TV now, or wall mount it. However, from what I've heard the sound quality of flat screens themselves isn't that great, and usually requires somekind of speaker set-up - so that would be another thing to investigate.

And like you, my TV right now works fine - actually better than your situation, since I'm not having the cut-off picture issue you are. But like you, it's hard for me to replace something that's working fine - and in addition, since I didn't use this TV the 5 years I was staying at my mom's, I've only gotten 6 years of "use" through it.

So I decided since I'm expecting to go through a big surgery probably in the next 12 months, I'm treating myself to a new TV after surgery and recovery (as long as nothing extreme happens that requires me to heavily tap my emergency fund) as a reward.

Typically if there's something I want to replace, but I don't need to replace, than I'll make sure it's something that's needling me to replace it (meaning not just spur-of-the-moment) and then save specifically for it or if I get a work bonus, I might put the 10% I allow myself to spend towards that item.

In your situation, it can be a little more complicated though - since it's not just a TV, it's finding furniture to put it on and furniture to put the other stuff on/in - so it really comes down to are you mentally ready to also deal with all that.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869239 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 9:59 AM
keep your eye on woot
and wait for some after christmas sales...

peace & flat screens
t

Author: cabinsmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869240 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 10:15 AM
I'll chime in with the "it doesn't sound like it's serving you well" crowd. My CD player is still functional, but an iPhone dock with speakers gives me a better music experience, and that was worth putting away the old system.

If it were me, I'd see if if some organization would want it as a donation enough to come get it, and I'd look at used furniture stores or consignment stores for a cabinet that would meet those other needs. You'll probably end up with a lot more storage space, which is always nice. I would think the footprint of appropriate cabinets would be smaller than your current TV, and that could be a nice bonus as well.

cm

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869241 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 10:49 AM
FYI Costco has a very nice entertainment center/tv stand thing in the warehouse for $199.

And they have a 47" Vizio LED LCD TV that has a $50 instant rebate right now.

It's a good combination, but if your living room is bigger than ours you might want to look at something bigger :)

Get a new TV and give the old one away to someone whose house got flooded from Hurricane Sandy (fully disclosing any problems with it of course) - you'll get a nice new TV and they get a TV that while not perfect is a lot better than nothing.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869242 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 11:41 AM
Go ahead, GSF--get a TV your family will appreciate. It's not as if you're in a financial pickle and will go into insupportable debt for it (AFAIK).

We have a 32" LED TV in our den/home office by the kitchen and a 34" old-fashioned TV with an inexpensive surround sound system in the FROG (Free Room Over Garage--a Southern thing, and the warmest, sunniest room in the house so it's where we read, watch TV, and use our laptops in colder weather). Switching from downstairs to upstairs TV a few weeks ago, the picture is noticeably worse (and the surround sound noticeably better!).

We're also thinking about switching from cable to Hulu Plus and online Netflix, so I guess what we really need is a great big computer screen.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869243 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 11:59 AM

We're also thinking about switching from cable to Hulu Plus and online Netflix, so I guess what we really need is a great big computer screen.

no- you just need some HDMI(or AV adaptor) cables

peace & connections
t

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869244 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 12:05 PM
no- you just need some HDMI(or AV adaptor) cables

thx, tconi...and I need some education! Actually, now that DH is retiring, his inner handyman is coming to the fore (at the moment he's repairing the fridge with a part he ordered online--recommended by PSUEngineer in an earlier thread...I learn gud).

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869246 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 2:31 PM
IMHO: Usually a TV is a want, not a need.

When my friends ask me if they should buy a new computer, I ask, what would the new computer do that the current one doesn't. It sounds like a new TV would do a lot the current one doesn't, so there's your answer.

For the second half, can you afford one? You need to live as well as save. Personally I'd rather not have TV's, I just deleted Netflix off my iPad because I spend to much time watching it, now I read. So, that's my priority and it has nothing to do with $. A TV appears to be an integral part of your chosen lifestyle, so if you have the $ get it.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869249 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 5:58 PM
I felt the same way. In 2010 I replaced by old 19" tube TV with a slimmer, flat screen, and never looked back. In addition to the fact the picture is so much better, the new TVs are set up for streaming, so making it easy for me to ditch cable and watch anything I like OTA.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869250 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 6:43 PM
Recommendations: 5
Check the menu of the cable box to se if the screen ratio says 16:9 and change it to 4:3. If there’s no such in the menu I’d think seriously of replacing the TV.

Depending on the room’s lighting (bright choose LCD; darker choose plasma) and a 50-in. 16:9 costs in the region of $999. A stand costs about $150. Cabling even using HDMI is less than $75.

A lot has happened since you got the TV. Now the standard is 1080p compared to 240 and that’s a vast difference. The ‘engine; in the TV (and it’s why I am partial to LG) does much in enhancing picture quality. Older CRT sets didn’t have this capability.

Since buying a new TV does involve a great change in ‘how it’s done’ there’s lots of smaller – yet important – details. Does your cable box give HDMI or component (red, green, and blue outputs) or composite (red, white, and yellow). Better is HDMI and worse is composite. To get full value of the new TV get it fed so it will show all its features.

Questions?

MichaelR

A maven on ‘Help With This Home Theater’ board.

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869252 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 10:13 PM
...Cabling even using HDMI is less than $75....

You can get them a lot less expensive than that at monoprice.com.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102...

I bought HDMI cables from them a few years ago and they are still working just fine. It is good to buy several different colors so you can easily tell which cable goes where.

I bought a few extra because they were so inexpensive and getting extras didn't add to the shipping costs.

The cables for digital signals are a lot different than the old style analog cables since digital cables pretty much either work or they don't so an inexpensive cable is just fine.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869254 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/1/2012 11:56 PM
...Cabling even using HDMI is less than $75....

You can get them a lot less expensive than that at monoprice.com.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102......

I bought HDMI cables from them a few years ago and they are still working just fine. It is good to buy several different colors so you can easily tell which cable goes where.

Watty56

Having a home theater is, my view, part knowing what to buy and where to buy it. You’re right, Greg: cables from Monoprice are good, sturdy and well priced.

GSF is going into a new area of TV since it has been years of getting the older TV and much has happened but it still breaks down to getting the best bang for the buck; it’s still better to spend on quality and resultant longevity.

A suggestion to GSF: set a budget and ask for best purchasing from those on Help With This Home Theater board.

MichaelR

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869255 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/2/2012 7:36 AM
With technology changing as quickly as it does, I wouldn't spend more for longevity. I, too went with cheap HDMI cables and they have been fine.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869256 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/2/2012 10:00 AM
Recommendations: 8
So I decided since I'm expecting to go through a big surgery probably in the next 12 months, I'm treating myself to a new TV after surgery and recovery (as long as nothing extreme happens that requires me to heavily tap my emergency fund) as a reward.

MetroChick -

Get that TV and get it set up before your surgery. After the surgery you're not going to feel like taking care of such mundane things. I speak from experience.

I hope everything goes well for you and that your recovery will be speedy and complete.

-Waldo

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869257 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/2/2012 5:33 PM
Get that TV and get it set up before your surgery. After the surgery you're not going to feel like taking care of such mundane things. I speak from experience.

I don't mean right after surgery - I mean well after surgery/recovery. My current company doesn't have short-term disability, so I don't want to spend the money now since I've been specifically saving in a separate account for co-pays and lost income because if I don't have to I don't want to tap my "e-fund" for an upcoming "known" expense.

I hope everything goes well for you and that your recovery will be speedy and complete.

Thanks!

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869262 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/2/2012 11:23 PM
I would get a new one.

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869263 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 3:31 AM
GSF, I'm the gal who wants to refurbish a refurbished computer and is still using 1987 appliances and driving a 1998 Honda Civic.

However, I replaced my giant rear-projection TV (inherited from my deceased father) in 2009 with a flat-screen 42" HDTV and I'm glad I did!

I Freecycled the rear projection TV to a family that gladly picked it up with their pickup truck. Getting rid of it freed up a whole side of our small living room.

We get a lot of enjoyment from the HDTV. It's not just a tool like a computer.

If you want one...treat yourself. It's worth it.
Wendy

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869264 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 8:00 AM
I would say if you can afford it, get it. It sounds like your current tv is not still functioning properly if you can't read the stuff off ESPN!

I completely understand the desire to keep electronics until they die becuase I am like that. I was actually mad when my 10 year old 19 inch tv died a few years ago.

I was lucky/unlucky enough to have my main living room tv, a mere 7 years old!, break last year. I waited 6 months or so to replace it and bought a 40 inch led in December. The picture is gorgeous! I love it. I bought an over air antenna and the signal looks great. 40 inch is fine for me and the room its in, but if you have a big room I would go a little larger.

Stands can be had for pretty cheap. I bought mine at Target half off, but when I was in college I bought a cheapy stand from ikea for 20 bucks and that thing worked forever. If you aren't ready to buy a stand you could always buy or find one used or off freecycle and use it until you find what you like.

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869265 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 10:54 AM
and wait for some after christmas sales...

Even better, wait for post-Super Bowl sales. We shopped the day after the Super Bowl last year and got a fabulous deal on a 50" Panasonic.

Also got a super deal on a cabinet that was a bit taller than others. Salesman said most folks like those really low cabinets, but this aging boomer prefers having the components closer to waist-level so I can actually read the time display on the cable box and insert a dvd without getting on my knees to see what I'm doing ;-)

So the guy threw in the floor model of the cabinet for a pittance, and it's really a functional piece of furniture with a roomy cabinet on the bottom, two closed drawers to hide other stuff and two open spaces that can accommodate several add-on components.

Oh, and they hauled away the old 36-inch Sony monster & stand that cost more 7 years ago than our new flat screen did.

Jeanie

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869266 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 1:36 PM
I say get it. You will love the improvement in functionality and picture quality.

Now for good advice: I highly recommend getting an extended warranty on new HDTVs. They don't hold up the way TVs used to do. My first HDTV started blowing pixels after only a year. I'm on my 2nd one now (got smart and bought the warranty) and it's on its third motherboard (in a year).

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869267 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 4:10 PM
I will probably be stoned to death for this, but here goes...

Is there any way to adjust the picture on your current TV so it has the right ratio to show all or most of the picture? I know we went to the "menu" and were able to adjust this a little a long time ago.

We, too, have an old 27-inch TV our son bought us about that time. (Normal set, loose, residing in an entertainment cabinet.) Picture and sound still are fine and we enjoy it a lot every day with our DirecTV setup. Yes, we sometimes realize that left and right edges lose a bit, in some cases, but not that badly.

NOTE: Here is where I may be insulted and stoned!

We know several people who HAVE the new wide-screen sets, and it seems to us that MOST of them somehow "fatten" people onscreen! People look wider than usual! Maybe their sets simply need adjustment, but we see a LOT of sets in stores like that, too!

IOW, we're keeping the set we have, and we hope it lasts for several more years.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Vermonter

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869270 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/3/2012 6:41 PM
We know several people who HAVE the new wide-screen sets, and it seems to us that MOST of them somehow "fatten" people onscreen! People look wider than usual! Maybe their sets simply need adjustment, but we see a LOT of sets in stores like that, too!

It happens when they're showing non-HD channels on an HD screen, and have Zoomed in to fill the whole screen.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869274 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/4/2012 9:07 AM
It happens when they're showing non-HD channels on an HD screen, and have Zoomed in to fill the whole screen.

Whatever the reason, we'll stick with our good old set.

As long as we can...

Vermonter

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869295 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 9:56 AM
GSF,

I have almost exactly the same problem, except my rear projection set is from 1999, not 1998. Oh, and I don't have the format problem. My cable box outputs widescreen content such that it shrinks it to fit, so to speak, and adds black bars to the top and bottom. It's annoying, but at least I can see the whole picture.

But how to get rid of it? I want it out of the house. It bothers me to just trash it, but who wants a big old rear projection set any more? Exactly nobody, that's who. If I put it on craigslist for free, would anybody even come get it?

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869296 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 10:06 AM
I mounted my flat screen on the wall. Those mounting brackets they sell are butthurt expensive, so I built my own out of unistrut and garage door hinges. It doesn't telescope or swing side to side, but it does let the TV pivot forward such that it will lay face down away from the wall, so that I can clean the back and to facilitate changing cables the like.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869297 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 10:14 AM
I highly recommend getting an extended warranty on new HDTVs. They don't hold up the way TVs used to do. My first HDTV started blowing pixels after only a year. I'm on my 2nd one now (got smart and bought the warranty) and it's on its third motherboard (in a year).

I'm not going to say a warranty is a bad idea, but you've made a pretty generalized statement there. What brand(s) are those two units? What models? I've got a six year old plasma unit that's performing just fine.

xtn

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869299 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:12 AM
Now for good advice: I highly recommend getting an extended warranty on new HDTVs. They don't hold up the way TVs used to do. My first HDTV started blowing pixels after only a year. I'm on my 2nd one now (got smart and bought the warranty) and it's on its third motherboard (in a year).

I had my Sharp HDTV for about 4 years and bought one for my father about 3 years ago. Neither have had any problems.

Some brands do have a high failure rate. Three motherboards in a year either means that you have chosen a very model or something about your home is damaging the motherboards (maybe power surges).

How well do service contracts cover stuck pixels? I suspect that they set a minimum number before they will cover repair.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869300 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:23 AM
Some brands do have a high failure rate.

Apparently Samsung has had some huge problems with some component they cheaped out on. There was lawsuit and you can get up to 300 bucks if you had problems (if it fits within the years, states, etc..etc..IANAL). Somebody at work sent me something on it the other dya.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869302 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 6
If I put it on craigslist for free, would anybody even come get it?

General answer...lordy yes. And free to try. It's not that hard to write an ad and post good pictures to it. You might even be able to get a some bucks for it. Really.

In my neck of the woods, you would be surprised at the number of things people will come pick up for free, including the labor to get rid of the object.

I gave away several large, overgrown shrubberies on Freecycle. They dug them all up and carted them off.

I used Craigslist to give away a semi-working 30-year old electric stove (1 large burner didn't operate). Saved me from carting it off for recycling or scrap metal.

Also a broken, non-repairable front-loading washer for parts, a 26-year old fridge for $80, a couple of dishwashers for $25-$50. One of the dishwashers was a supposedly non-functional Craigslist freebie I picked up for parts. When I got it home, I found out the only thing wrong with it was a clogged hose. Duh. I cleaned it and resold it, since we came across a nice Bosch at the scratch/dent for only $200.

Sold a non-functional 1970's Kenmore sewing machine on Craigslist for $25. The woman who bought it was a Boston lawyer who wanted it just for parts to fix her own machine which she loved. Buying mine for parts was way less than the cost to repair it. She made a lengthy drive to pick it up too.

Sold some leftover boxes of new/never opened Lumber Liquidators/Bellawood 3/4" Brazilian hardwood flooring, enough to do about a 12' by 12' room. We ended up doing one less area than we originally planned & it couldn't be returned. Gave a 30% discount off retail, some links to the product online and whoosh - gone immediately to a resident in our town.

I've had good luck on Craigslist selling small circa-1940/1950 collectible small kitchen items. Excellent pictures, well-cleaned/good condition, researched background with links and writing a good ad all help.

If you are concerned about strangers in the house, once you have a legitimate pick-up offer, perhaps you can bring it up yourself if you have a porch area, or similar, where you can place it. Run an extension cord to it if you want to show it's working.

I've done it both ways - have things out of the house, or shown them in our vacant apartment rental. I even mailed out a few of the smaller vintage items USPS after the person paid for the item in advance (I accepted a check - the horror!).

I sort thru replies with my "crazy filter" on...aka common sense. If they can't follow the simple instructions I give in the listing, or their reply is iffy in any way, I just don't reply. I usually ask for them to provide a phone number for me to respond & Google their name, email addy & phone. Not infrequently I can verify they are a real person and not a figment of someone's imagination in Nigeria.

Give clear instructions - "heavy item, need 2 strong people to transport", "bring tie-downs, hand-truck", "pick-up truck or similar large vehicle", "cash only".

Write a clear description - "fully functional" "original owner's manual and remote" (print the manual from online if you don't have it), "cables included", "clean & clear picture/sound".

Throw in some marketing - "ideal for man-cave", "perfect for watching the Superbowl", "original owner"

You might not enjoy the TV as much any more, but check with retirement homes or youth activity centers in your area. They may appreciate the donation.

Goodwill, Salvation Army & St.Vincent dePaul's will often pick up this kind of thing. Give them a call and check. That's pretty painless.

Or check this in your area:
http://www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com/

Locate recycling options in your area at:
www.1800recycling.com

If you buy a TV from BestBuy, they'll pick up & recycle your old one for free. Or for $100, they'll haul away up to two TVs (if you don't purchase anything from them):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat174900050009.c?i...

Some TV manufacturers have take-back recycling programs. Try calling them to find out.

Few more suggestions:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-your-old-tv...

You could also just try the ol' curbside thing with a big "FREE! WORKS GREAT! ENJOY THE SUPERBOWL!!!" sign if you are about to have several days of good weather (in case it sits a bit, but I bet it won't). Include a free "Curbside Alert" ad on Freecycle/Craigslist if you want, although some of the Freecycle chapters do frown on curbside listings. I would suspect this is a really good time to put projection TVs curbside, precisely because of Xmas/Superbowl.

I helped my MIL clean out her basement a few months back. Unbelievable what people were willing to take - even things that didn't go for free at her last yard sale.

Laura

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869303 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:38 AM
I'm not going to say a warranty is a bad idea, but you've made a pretty generalized statement there. What brand(s) are those two units? What models? I've got a six year old plasma unit that's performing just fine.

Both are LCD/LED HDTVs...first was Samsung 42" and the current one is LG 46".

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869304 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:39 AM

How well do service contracts cover stuck pixels? I suspect that they set a minimum number before they will cover repair.

Yeah that is a great question!

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869305 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 11:52 AM
General answer...lordy yes. And free to try. It's not that hard to write an ad and post good pictures to it. You might even be able to get a some bucks for it. Really.

In my neck of the woods, you would be surprised at the number of things people will come pick up for free, including the labor to get rid of the object.

I tried to give away a 50" rear projection TV two years ago. First, I tried to sell for a minimal amount ($50). I used all the descriptors like you suggested such as works great and like new. Nobody would buy it. I lowered to $25. No takers. I put it on the free stuff section of craigslist. There were a few nibbles but nobody would show up. I tried freecycle without success.

Goodwill, Salvation Army & St.Vincent dePaul's will often pick up this kind of thing. Give them a call and check. That's pretty painless.

Goodwill and the Salvation Army wouldn't take them here. Even a disabled veteran's group wouldn't take them. I finally found one charity that would take it.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869306 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 12:24 PM
I tried to give away a 50" rear projection TV two years ago....

It might also depend on, as they say in real estate...location, location, location. From what I've seen, the Craigslist/Freecycle usage success rate can vary according to what part of the country you're in. That darn YMMV thang :)

We've had excellent results with it for our last 4 rentals - great tenants all. Much higher success rate than thru classified ads or signs on the property. I even found a qualified tenant before my Realtor did via the MLS. I was away at the time and had her handle the listing. Their office has always done good work for us. After several applicants didn't pan out, I CL'd it when I returned. Boom. Saved me half the commission too, since she was kind enough to pro-rate it as we found the tenant.

We are borderline to 2 CL areas - I get different response rates/quality of responses from the two areas.

Laura

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869308 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 12:58 PM
Goodwill and the Salvation Army wouldn't take them here. Even a disabled veteran's group wouldn't take them. I finally found one charity that would take it.

This is going to be our problem as well. We had tried to donate it to the new police station for their training room, but they didn't want it. DH is really lusting after a new flat screen, and we've decided that for the amount of tv we watch, it's an expense that comes under the L in LBYM, so we're going to do it. Now, we are wrestling with what to do with the old rear projection unit.

I'm expecting a final bonus from my previous employer, and have allocated those dollars to the new tv. Don't know when we'll get it as DH is looking now to figure out what he wants, and then he'll do the price shopping, but we are hoping to have it installed by the Super Bowl as we both like watching football.

So if anyone has any suggestions on other charities to try for this, please post them here.

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869309 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 1:02 PM
If I put it on craigslist for free, would anybody even come get it?

I have recently done this twice with 53" rear projection TV's - one was mine, one was my parents. Good TV's in their day but we both replaced them with much better quality TV's that took up oh-so-much less space in the living rooms.

I posted each on craigslist in the free section. I was honest about the age of the set and that it worked fine to my knowledge but picture quality was way outdated. The ad said I was looking for someone who could pick it up, do so quickly, and wouldn't no-show. The phone was ringing of the hook as soon as the ads hit with people enthusiastic to come get the set both times. We gave the first caller directions, took one or two more names for back-up and immediately took the ads down from craigslist. Both times the sets were gone within 90 minutes.

sjfans

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869314 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 2:39 PM
So if anyone has any suggestions on other charities to try for this, please post them here.

As Laura mentioned earlier, it depends on location. Your local Salvation Army may accept them.

Personally, I wouldn't give a TV away on freecycle or craigslist unless you can get it to the driveway or garage yourself. Other people won't care if they gouge a wall or floor on their way out of the house.

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869316 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 3:10 PM
Personally, I wouldn't give a TV away on freecycle or craigslist unless you can get it to the driveway or garage yourself.

Agreed on this - in our case we got the TV to the carport both times and left it to the takers to get it from there.

sjfans

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869317 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 3:11 PM

You might check if the International Rescue Committee is active in your area. They provide assistance for new refugees, most of whom arrive with absolutely nothing.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869318 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/5/2012 3:16 PM

Another suggestions...not a charity, but a little thinking-outside-the-box....

Our condo has one in its large clubhouse/living room/dining room/bar area that is also rented out for parties. Any chance some in your area could need a replacement or upgrade? Perhaps your DH has some contacts in that area, considering the field that he's in?

With budgets being tight, and boards trying to keep association fees from rising, they may welcome a freebie. And being that it's not a personally-owned, homeowner-location, they might be more willing to have a TV that's older technology.

Just a thought...

Laura

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869354 of 884569
Subject: Re: New TV: Want/Need Date: 12/7/2012 6:28 AM
I always leave that kind of thing on front street where they pick up junk (like people mentioned, wait until it's not supposed to rain - and I try to wait for weekend so there will be lots of people hunting).

Almost everything I put out there that is halfway usable gets picked up by somebody. This is only if you are just trying to get rid of it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (44) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement