UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744743  
Subject: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Thanksgiving, lovely concept.

Christmas, wonderful feelings and traditions.

Memorial Day, Veterans Day, 4th of July, awesome.

New Year's Day? I just get nothing out of it. Everyone hooting and hollering and drinking. I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy. Each year the music gets crappier and more hip-popish on TV also.

Anyway, rant over. I just can't get excited about the clock going from 11:59 to 12:00

JediG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657971 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 2:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
New Year's Day? I just get nothing out of it. Everyone hooting and hollering and drinking. I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy. Each year the music gets crappier and more hip-popish on TV also.

Anyway, rant over. I just can't get excited about the clock going from 11:59 to 12:00

JediG

I'm just the opposite--not that excited over Thanksgiving, have a little more energy for Christmas, but the first day of the new year has always been a favorite of mine, just like September 1 is, I guess from school days when school didn't start in the middle of August. Wonderful time to reflect--try to avoid company, oh unless it is your mate which isn't so bad.

I especially liked January 1 too because there is no big meal expected to be on the table that you are supposed to prepare. Clam chowder sounds good for New Year's Day. Clam chowder with big chunks of French bread or sour dough.

New Year's Eve is a nice time to reflect too if you are past the age where you want to go out and dance and blow horns and kiss somebody. Just stay home in your comfortable pajamas. If you have a Christmas tree don't take it down until after the 1st. Turn out the room lights on New Year's Eve and just look at your tree lights sparkle. Write notes to yourself by candlelight, moments to remember, Get one of those Bayberry candles that smell good. Go out at midnight and wish on a star--wish for a Happy New Year for All.

Last year I sort of goofed up all my plans for a wonderful new year and the enjoyment I get making them by somehow getting involved on this sex chat board the last week of December. It seemed harmless--I didn't have to give my email or do anything to join--just plug in the name of the site and start looking through the names of people wanting to have chat sex, and those who were dinging me to play with them. It sort of absorbed me for the month of January. Then I was done with it by the time February came. Since I didn't have an opportunity to plan my year the way I like, this year I am really looking forward to a big planning session starting New Year's Even and continuing through the whole first week of the New Year.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657974 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 2:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hell, this year it may be a day to mourn, given the tax rate hikes that are sure to kick in that day!

Usually we have a seafood feast. We used to go to my in-laws when they still lived in St. Clair Shores (only an hour away) but now they're 2.5 - 3 hours away (and given the time of the year the weather is likely to make it longer) so we stay home, make some crab legs and stuffed mushroom caps (escargot for DW, I'm not a fan of it personally) and fondue cheese on bread squares.

At least I get to celebrate it this year. I was supposed to be working the NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium that day, but that's been cancelled for this year of course. Bummer, that would have been a GREAT paycheck! Even Uncle Sam would have been happy that paycheck. Meh, it'll have to wait another year.

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657992 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
It's 2 days off for me. But a party animal, I am not. I hope the weather is nice here in North Texas. If so, I'll hike, mountain bike or tour one of the local lakes I've yet explored on my kayak.

If the weather bites, I'll go get an X-Box game, probably one where you shoot zombies. With a little imagination, you can visualize some of the prominent democrats and mentally transpose their faces on the zombies you blow away.

Works for me. <g>

decath

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657993 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:34 PM
>> It's 2 days off for me. But a party animal, I am not. I hope the weather is nice here in North Texas. If so, I'll hike, mountain bike or tour one of the local lakes I've yet explored on my kayak. <<

If this winter is like last "winter" in Texas, there will be no winter at all. And with low 80s in the last few days, it's unfortunately starting to look that way again.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657994 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:46 PM
If this winter is like last "winter" in Texas, there will be no winter at all. And with low 80s in the last few days, it's unfortunately starting to look that way again.

________

Yeah, low 80's here (but feels very nice). We're almost 25 degrees above the average Dec high.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657997 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:50 PM
New Year's Day? I just get nothing out of it. Everyone hooting and hollering and drinking.
-----------------

What you're supposed to do on New Year's Ever is watch 3 Marx Brothers movies back-to-back while you put together your New Year's Eve puzzle.
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=17064...

catmeyoo - but the first day of the new year has always been a favorite of mine

Me, too. I straighten out my files - put away last years and have new file folders for the new year. And I kind over do over all planning for the year.

Being in the south, we're supposed to eat Hoppin' John and greens, and I'm sure we will.

arrete

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 657999 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 7
I did have a great 2012 NY Eve. My wife and kids threw me a surprise 50th bd party (since my bd is close to that time). The guys took me hiking that day to get me out of the house. We hiked the Juniper Trail on Lake Texomo.

Got home at 7pm and there were about 50 family and friends dressed up in Star Wars costume's (I'm a sci-fi geek). They went all out. Lot's of Jedi's and queen Amadala's. My 3 grandson's were jawa's. I was Obi Wan Kanobi with my own light saber.

The best costume was Darth Mal. I have a very physically fit nephew that put together an awesome custome with the face paint and horns on his head.

For drinks...there was wookie juice and Han Solo's Brew. The kid's had something called Yoda Soda. <g>

We had Star Wars music playing non-stop, Star Wars video games and live action light saber duels. <g>

And there were Star Wars gifts. Unfortunately for me, most were Obi Wan Konobi (the old one) and Yoda gifts. My son informed me that at age 50, I no longer fit the Han Solo (space cowboy) profile that I had envisioned for myself. <g>

decath

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658001 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 3:54 PM

I'm a few miles south of Livingston TX. It's 72 degrees with 85% humidity.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658004 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 4:01 PM
That's a pretty cool party Decath, it sounds like.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658005 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 4:04 PM
And there were Star Wars gifts. Unfortunately for me, most were Obi Wan Konobi (the old one) and Yoda gifts. My son informed me that at age 50, I no longer fit the Han Solo (space cowboy) profile that I had envisioned for myself. <g>

Look at the bright side, Obi can kick Han's butt if push come to shove and when you get to 75 you have the solace that Yoda could whip both of them together using a drinking straw as a weapon

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658006 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 4:05 PM

Heck, I am just east of NYC and it's about 60 and I was sitting on my porch today in a Tee shirt enjoying the sun.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658010 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 4:17 PM
warrl wrote:

Wow, that's warmer than southern Calfornia!

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658036 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 5:41 PM
Heck, I am just east of NYC and it's about 60 and I was sitting on my porch today in a Tee shirt enjoying the sun.
------------------

Precisely. We had a glass of wine on the small patio, and discussed Christmas decorations, bird calls, camellias, local houses for sale, and the fact I couldn't get the cork out of my champagne bottle.

arrete

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658047 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 6:15 PM
Me, too. I straighten out my files - put away last years and have new file folders for the new year. And I kind over do over all planning for the year. -- arrete

Exactly. New and fresh files. Yum. Ahead: 2013

How is your brother liking his new job and home?

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658057 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 6:28 PM
"It's 2 days off for me. But a party animal, I am not. I hope the weather is nice here in North Texas. If so, I'll hike, mountain bike or tour one of the local lakes I've yet explored on my kayak." - decath

Do you ever fish? I seem to recall catching some small bass at some lake in Texas when we visited there as a kid? My stepmother had a friend that lived Ft. Worth, Texas and we stopped by and went to Six Flags over Texas and we went to some lake and fished some and caught enough bass to fry them up and eat them. I remember the woman's house. She had some kind of counter between her kitchen and dining room and I can see it in my mind's eye. Oh yeah, I also remember that the lake we went to was close by and it was fairly clear? Of course this was way back in the mid to late 1960's so no telling what color it is now? Back then it was pretty nice. Also there were pine trees that I remember too?

Art

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658085 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 8:09 PM
"I couldn't get the cork out of my champagne bottle."

If you mean the cork fell INTO the bottle, here's how to get it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LWLbl3OGUE

~aj

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658135 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 10:51 PM
How is your brother liking his new job and home?
-----------------

He's having a good ole time. Been looking all directions at the scenery and going to Rapid City for movies. He's happy. Thanks for asking.

arrete - had a wonderful picture of prairie dogs. I'm putting it on his 2013 calendar. I make one every year.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658144 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/3/2012 11:23 PM
If you mean the cork fell INTO the bottle, here's how to get it out:
---------------

Well, thank you, guy. Actually I just couldn't get it off. Arthuritis. DH to the rescue.

I'll keep the video for just in case.

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658182 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/4/2012 9:13 AM
"arrete - had a wonderful picture of prairie dogs. I'm putting it on his 2013 calendar. I make one every year."

----

Speaking of prairie dogs check this out. Amazing. I got to get me one of them!

.17 HMR versus Ground Squirrels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Tc7X5Ueo

Art

Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658194 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/4/2012 9:58 AM
Do you ever fish? I seem to recall catching some small bass at some lake in Texas when we visited there as a kid? My stepmother had a friend that lived Ft. Worth, Texas and we stopped by and went to Six Flags over Texas and we went to some lake and fished some and caught enough bass to fry them up and eat them. I remember the woman's house. She had some kind of counter between her kitchen and dining room and I can see it in my mind's eye. Oh yeah, I also remember that the lake we went to was close by and it was fairly clear? Of course this was way back in the mid to late 1960's so no telling what color it is now? Back then it was pretty nice. Also there were pine trees that I remember too?

Art

A lot of people around here do. They have really nice bass boats. I live just a couple of miles from Lake Ray Roberts, where I do most of my kayaking.

Not a fisherman or hunter. I did both as a kid but it just did not interest me like 'active' sports.

decath

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658503 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/5/2012 11:21 PM
Recommendations: 2
I especially liked January 1 too because there is no big meal expected to be on the table that you are supposed to prepare. Clam chowder sounds good for New Year's Day. Clam chowder with big chunks of French bread or sour dough.

New Year's Eve is a nice time to reflect too if you are past the age where you want to go out and dance and blow horns and kiss somebody. Just stay home in your comfortable pajamas. If you have a Christmas tree don't take it down until after the 1st. Turn out the room lights on New Year's Eve and just look at your tree lights sparkle. Write notes to yourself by candlelight, moments to remember, Get one of those Bayberry candles that smell good. Go out at midnight and wish on a star--wish for a Happy New Year for All.

I celebrate New Year's on my birthday. Just makes more sense to me, and is more personal.

Last year I sort of goofed up all my plans for a wonderful new year and the enjoyment I get making them by somehow getting involved on this sex chat board the last week of December. It seemed harmless--I didn't have to give my email or do anything to join--just plug in the name of the site and start looking through the names of people wanting to have chat sex, and those who were dinging me to play with them. It sort of absorbed me for the month of January. Then I was done with it by the time February came. Since I didn't have an opportunity to plan my year the way I like, this year I am really looking forward to a big planning session starting New Year's Even and continuing through the whole first week of the New Year.

What is it about sex that just ruins everything?

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658504 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/5/2012 11:27 PM
What you're supposed to do on New Year's Ever is watch 3 Marx Brothers movies back-to-back while you put together your New Year's Eve puzzle.

I do Twilight Zone reruns on the SciFi (SyFy?) channel. Maybe switch over to New Year's Rockin' Eve for a while to see if there are any good musical acts... if there aren't, then back to Twilight Zone or else find a decent movie somewhere and then doze off.

As of this year, it'll be ten years since I've been to a New Year's Eve party... I'm getting boring in my old age.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658505 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/5/2012 11:30 PM

It was 70 degrees in Chicago on Monday, just one degree shy of a record for December 3. Then 60 yesterday, then only 40 today. But warming back up to 50 tomorrow.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658518 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/6/2012 6:54 AM

In this case, I would say it is more a matter of if you use the wrong tools you can screw up any job.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 658601 of 744743
Subject: Re: New Years eve, I don't get it Date: 12/6/2012 6:13 PM

Accidents cause people.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement