Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55993  
Subject: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/19/2012 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I finally caught a re-air of America's Test Kitchen (the episode which started my quest for the cheese used) and jotted down the recipe as best I could. The dough part is mostly irrelevant to me since I am gluten-free, but the sauce and cheese part still applies. The cheese(s) used were parmasan and Dragone whole milk mozzarella

New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza

Dough:

16 1/2 oz bread flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp rapid rise or instant yeast
1 1/3 c. ice water

Process and let sit 10 minutes for water to absorb.

Add:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 TB vegetable oil

Knead 1 minute on oiled surface. Place in oiled bowl, cover with sprayed saran wrap and refrigerate 24 hrs (up to 3 days). Divide in half. place on sprayed sheet cover with sprayed plastic wrap let stand at room temp 1 hr.

No-Cook Sauce:

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, well-drained
1 TB olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red wine vinegar (Pompeian was one of the brands that got good reviews during the show)

Process and refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Heat Pizza Stone in oven on top rack 1 hr.

Press dough into two 13 " circles.

In following order, top each circle with:

1/2 c. sauce
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. whole milk mozzarella

Bake on pizza stone (on top rack of oven) 10-12 minutes.

Note: I didn't catch the oven temperature. Here is a direct link to the recipe video if anyone is interested:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=...

Also noteworthy is that they were trying to duplicate Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn, NY and I believe the owner mentioned fresh mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano as the cheeses he used. I also saw him sprinkling a generous handful of what looked like the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top just before serving.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement