Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/19/2012 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I finally caught a re-air of America's Test Kitchen (the episode which started my quest for the cheese used) and jotted down the recipe as best I could. The dough part is mostly irrelevant to me since I am gluten-free, but the sauce and cheese part still applies. The cheese(s) used were parmasan and Dragone whole milk mozzarella

New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza

Dough:

16 1/2 oz bread flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp rapid rise or instant yeast
1 1/3 c. ice water

Process and let sit 10 minutes for water to absorb.

Add:

1 1/2 tsp salt
1 TB vegetable oil

Knead 1 minute on oiled surface. Place in oiled bowl, cover with sprayed saran wrap and refrigerate 24 hrs (up to 3 days). Divide in half. place on sprayed sheet cover with sprayed plastic wrap let stand at room temp 1 hr.

No-Cook Sauce:

1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, well-drained
1 TB olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red wine vinegar (Pompeian was one of the brands that got good reviews during the show)

Process and refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Heat Pizza Stone in oven on top rack 1 hr.

Press dough into two 13 " circles.

In following order, top each circle with:

1/2 c. sauce
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1 c. whole milk mozzarella

Bake on pizza stone (on top rack of oven) 10-12 minutes.

Note: I didn't catch the oven temperature. Here is a direct link to the recipe video if anyone is interested:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=...

Also noteworthy is that they were trying to duplicate Di Fara Pizza in Brooklyn, NY and I believe the owner mentioned fresh mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano as the cheeses he used. I also saw him sprinkling a generous handful of what looked like the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top just before serving.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54801 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/19/2012 9:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.0

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54802 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/19/2012 9:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
"he uses 4 cheeses Parmigiano-Reggiano, grana padano, grande fior-di-latte, and buffalo mozz."

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54808 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/20/2012 3:54 PM
Thank you so much!

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54810 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/21/2012 9:44 AM
follow-up: I dragged out my mini personal-size pizza pizza stone and the instructions on the box say to heat it at 450 degrees. So that is probably the temperature they used.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54811 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/21/2012 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
The professional pizza ovens they used go as high as 700df.I would go up to 500df in your home oven.Heat your stone slowly,start at 200 then bring it up to 500.Heat stone at least an 1/2 hour at 500df before you cook the pizza

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54812 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/22/2012 10:40 AM
Thanks again, jamesmw!

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54814 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/23/2012 10:05 PM
2008 World's Fastest Pizza Maker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBdpyfeUobM

I din't taste it doh.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54815 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 12/24/2012 8:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1roP6F0GkY

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55201 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/1/2013 10:23 AM
Recommendations: 3
The professional pizza ovens they used go as high as 700df.I would go up to 500df in your home oven.Heat your stone slowly,start at 200 then bring it up to 500.Heat stone at least an 1/2 hour at 500df before you cook the pizza

Digging-up an old thread, but had to pass this tip along. (This is such an obvious solution, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.)

Doubtful any of our ovens go up to the 700-800 degrees that pizzeria ovens do and many of us don't have a pizza stone, I figured out a way to make NY-style thin pizza crust without the commercial oven and without a pizza stone.

Bake a dinner plate sized pizza, (I parbake the crust, then add the sauce and cheese and finish baking). let cool slightly so the dough isn't overly soft.

Here's the trick--using medium-high to high heat depending on your stove, heat a large frying pan sprayed with non-stick spray and slide the baked and slightly cooled pizza onto the heated pan, letting the bottom brown and crisp. Then slide it back out onto your serving platter. (I use a spatula to check the crust and to help with sliding it out of the pan.)

The application of the direct heat to the crust makes it very, very similar to the high heat of a pizza oven and the end result is similarly crispy crust--one you can pick up and hold in one hand to eat--you all know what I'm talking about--iow not soft or floppy.

No need to worry about special techniques, special equipment, etc. Just bake in an oven for 10 minutes then saute the bottom a few more minutes in a frypan.

And here's another tip: if you don't have a pan that will allow you to slide the pizza back out--iow the finish is scratched up and you have to pry off your food (I have a few of those pans)-- then line the bottom of the pan with non-stick aluminum foil (a godsend, btw), spray that with nonstick spray and place the pizza on that.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55202 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/1/2013 10:47 AM
Here's the trick--using medium-high to high heat depending on your stove, heat a large frying pan sprayed with non-stick spray and slide the baked and slightly cooled pizza onto the heated pan, letting the bottom brown and crisp

That is how I heat up leftover pizza when I don't want to turn on the oven or broiler (but I don't use any non-stick spray). For the first few minutes, I use low/medium heat and cover the pan so that the cheese and stuff heats up. Then I remove the lid and turn the heat to high for a few minutes until the crust is heated as well but crisp and not soggy. Works for me.

Christina

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55203 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/1/2013 2:28 PM
That is how I heat up leftover pizza when I don't want to turn on the oven or broiler (but I don't use any non-stick spray). For the first few minutes, I use low/medium heat and cover the pan so that the cheese and stuff heats up. Then I remove the lid and turn the heat to high for a few minutes until the crust is heated as well but crisp and not soggy. Works for me.

That is exactly how I discovered 'the trick.' I didn't want to use the oven to reheat the pizza, so I placed it a fry pan with lid to melt the cheese, removing the lid so it didn't get soggy. When I slid the pizza onto the dish, the reheated version was virtually exactly like the crispy crust I wanted originally.

Now I just use the frying pan method on the crust whenever I make homemade pizza--I don't have to use the lid usually because the pizza is still relatively hot and the cheese doesn't need to be melted

I got the non-stick foil idea because the cheese ran over when I was reheating a slice and I had a pan to clean up, so using nonstick foil all you have to do is lift off the pizza and crumble up the foil--no pan to clean.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55204 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/1/2013 5:33 PM
Doubtful any of our ovens go up to the 700-800 degrees that pizzeria ovens do and many of us don't have a pizza stone...

I haven't and wouldn't try with a kitchen oven, but I have been able to get a fairly inexpensive Fiesta gas grill with cast aluminum firebox to bake at over 700 degrees F. Doing so was actually pretty easy and inexpensive.

What I did was replace the sheet metal with a "lava rock grate" of the appropriate size and topped it with Grill Greats Ceramic Grill Tiles, instead of lava rocks: http://www.grillparts.com/fiesta/allparts.asp?product_id=196... When I fired it up, it shattered the 500-550 degree F thermometer mounted in the lid. I replaced that with a candy thermometer, fired it up again and it registered over 750 degrees F.

A King Arthur Flour brand stone over some quarry tiles seems to work ok to bake on. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/pizza-baking-stone...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55206 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/2/2013 12:41 PM
Another thing I'd like to try is baking a pizza in a cast iron Dutch oven over high heat outdoors. For a heat source, I want to try a StoveTec biomass (read: wood twig and stick burning) rocket stove I have. If push comes to shove, I can use one of a couple of propane jet burners that I picked up for $50 to $100 each, the latest being a 100,000 BTU banjo type jet burner: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=12098...

Homemade Oil Drum Wood Fired Pizza Oven and BBQ - SLIDESHOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ZzMjcHsI1Ck&feat...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55207 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/9/2013 10:21 AM
How do you handle/adjust for gluten?

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55208 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/9/2013 10:30 AM
How do you handle/adjust for gluten?

I use Better Batter Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour and increase the water (since gluten-free flours are thirstier than wheat flours).

I also add a little baking powder to help the dough rise. Also, I don't use a 'rising' or 'resting' period with the dough. The yeast is there primarily to give the dough a traditional 'yeasty' flavor, not for rising or doubling, etc. like regular pizza dough.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55209 of 55906
Subject: Re: New York Style Thin-Crust Pizza Date: 6/9/2013 8:01 PM
You can bake pizza on the flipped lid of a 12 inch CI DO

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement