No. of Recommendations: 0
NewAtFoolSchool writes:

<< Nursing homes vary considerably in quality, and the ones that will take you just for what Medicare and Medicaid will pay will likely be at the low end of the range. >>

First of all, obviously, Medicare isn't going to tend to pay for any "high end" care since that's not an acceptable objective . . . is it? Secondly, most people who need or will come under Medicare assistance will NOT have to be in a "Nursing Home". Most of these "homes" are "Assisted Living Care Homes" which is quite different from a Nursing Home. So, just be aware that Medicare is NOT just about paying for Nursing Home care.

<< In addition to this, you will have a roomate in a Medicaid room. If you pay for it, you can have your own room. In my Mom's nursing home, the rooms with the best views were private pay rooms. If you could pay for it, you could choose your room. If you are a Medicaid patient, you don't have a choice. Even if you are already living at a nice place, you will have to change rooms when you go from private pay to a Medicare/Medicaid, the rooms are seperately accredited. This is a government regulation. >>

This is NOT necessarily so. I may DEPEND on just what state you are in. I'm not that familiar with any specific requirements for "Nursing Home" situation. But I do have family myself who are under Medicare benefits and they DO NOT have to share a room. But, they are also NOT in a "Nursing Home". They are in an Assisted Care Facility.

Assisted Care facilities do have various sizes of units. Some of the units have more than one room (e.g. living room + bedroom) along with a kitchenette area. Medicare limits one to a single room unit (still includes a kitchenette area) of certain maximum size (I think is like 520 sq. ft. - enough room to have a bed, a small couch or a chair, a small table and or a small desk, etc.) Be assured that one doesn't have to share such a room with anyone. Such small rooms don't hardly have enough room to be shared.

<< Mom had been at her nursing home for a couple of years, she became sick and had to go to the hospital. When she was released, she couldn't return to her room; the one we had decorated with family pictures, her furniture, computer, etc., because her "90 days" started over according to Medicare. She had to go to a Medicare room. She was not expected to live long, and I wanted her back in her familar room so we had to sign papers waiving Medicare benifits to get her back in her room. She fooled the Dr's this time and lived a year longer.

Mom had a double, private room (a room that normally housed two people, we had them take out the extra bed) that overlooked a park and had a wonderful view of the mountains.
>>

I think this probably explains why this room had to be shared. It was probably not because Medicare required it, but because the room she has was already considered a "double, private room", huh?

<< Medicaid patients get about a $20 a month allowance for personal items: clothes, snack food, trips to the beauty shop/barber shop, long distance phone calls, cable TV (required for any kind or reception where my mom was), etc, etc, etc. Do your parents really want to live on that? >>

Again, I think this is the same for all states. I have family members that have more than that for a "monthly allowance" under Medicare.

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement