UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65637  
Subject: Newbie help-movie streaming Date: 11/17/2012 12:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK guys...

Finally ventured into the world of multimedia...Got an HD TV. I know, not many folks as far behind the technology times as I am, but anyway...I need recommendations on how to setup my network to take advantage of my new purchase...

What device/connections do I need to get to be able to stream video from my iMac and various iPads to the HD TV??

Other, possibly relative info: My home network has several wireless APs that we/I use depending on which part of the house we happen to be in and my main computer (an old iMac) is wired, but can certainly be wireless.. we have cable and internet access through Verizon (if that matters), so the TV is connected to my cable box through an HDMI cable..

Other connectors on the HDTV are HDMI ports, composite connections, S Video and USB--there may be other connector types, but those are the ones I remember..

All help appreciated....

Mick
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61454 of 65637
Subject: Re: Newbie help-movie streaming Date: 11/17/2012 5:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You need an AppleTV. $99. That lets you stream from a Mac OS X computer or an iPad. Probably an iPhone, but I haven't tried that.

Connects to TV via HDMI, and can use either wired network or Wifi.

joe

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61455 of 65637
Subject: Re: Newbie help-movie streaming Date: 11/17/2012 5:42 PM
Actually, you might be able to stream from a Windows PC, if it's got iTunes on it. Never tried that either.

Author: nml Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61456 of 65637
Subject: Re: Newbie help-movie streaming Date: 11/17/2012 10:32 PM
You need an AppleTV. $99. That lets you stream from a Mac OS X computer or an iPad.

Thanks Joe, that's kind of what I thought... Just ordered one

Mick

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61461 of 65637
Subject: Re: Newbie help-movie streaming Date: 11/19/2012 6:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
My home network has several wireless APs that we/I use depending on which part of the house we happen to be in and my main computer (an old iMac) is wired, but can certainly be wireless.

It doesn't matter how many access points you have, so long as all your devices are on the same subnet.

Regarding the old iMac: Leave it on the wire. If your network is properly configured, it should be able to talk to an Apple TV.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement