Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 23673  
Subject: Newbie Progress Date: 1/12/2013 11:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I'm doing the Hal Higdon novice training plan for half marathons in preparation for this May's Flying Pig in Cincinnati.

Today, I ran 6 miles for the first time. I didn't think it would be much more difficult than 5, but I wasn't banking on it also being a bad running day for me. I felt tuckered out after only 2.25 miles and just kept going anyway....even more slowly than usual. Pretty tired and already sore. I'll run 6 miles again next Saturday and imagine it'll probably be a much better day.

Onward and upward, eh?

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23321 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/12/2013 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Great job on your first 6 miler!

I've been on a pretty good streak lately, good workouts and started the year with my first sub-22:00 5k in a long time. That said, last Saturday I could barely keep up at a much slower pace with my running partners - some days the little things catch up - sleep, diet, hydration, work/family stress. You've got plenty of time to Flying Pig -just keep plugging along!

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23322 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/13/2013 8:22 AM
Recommendations: 2
Rob,

Two things to remember.....

1) The long run is not supposed to be a fast run. If you are slow on the long run that is fine. You are building endurance and stamina. The point is to do the miles.

2) I hope you have some hills where you are. Flying Pig is very hilly, and if you don't have hills to train on, it can become problematic.

Charlie

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23323 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/13/2013 10:57 AM
Congrats on that sub-22 5k! I don't think I'll *ever* get to that point.

My son-in-law broke 17 minutes this year after a lot of work, although his primary focus is on marathons. He placed sixth in Charlotte's Thunder Road marathon recently, is doing the Yeungling marathon in Virginia Beach soon..... all as a build-up to doing better at Boston this year. He was disappointed in his Boston performance last year.... probably due to the unusual heat wave.

Rob

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23324 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/13/2013 11:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
Two things to remember.....

1) The long run is not supposed to be a fast run. If you are slow on the long run that is fine. You are building endurance and stamina. The point is to do the miles.

2) I hope you have some hills where you are. Flying Pig is very hilly, and if you don't have hills to train on, it can become problematic.
-- Charlie

I'm a very slow runner, usually around a 12:20 mile. I know that seems laughable to many, but it's what I can do if I'm doing miles. <shrug> :) After I manage to build to running half marathon distances, I'll work on speed. My daughter ran her half in 10:30 as a beginner, that's beyond me at this point. My son-in-law now runs full marathons sub-6:30.... and all I can do is shake my head. LOL

Nope. No hills to speak of for me near my home in Michigan or North Carolina unless I drive for a while.

I was a walker for last year's Pig (half marathon again). There is one significant hill (around miles 5 1/2 to 8) and lesser hills near the beginning (including the first bridge). I think I can handle the lesser hills, but I suspect I'll have to walk the big one or risk burning out too much for the rest of the race. Going down that big one, I'll make up a little bit of time, but not a lot. :)

Maybe..... once I manage to run 13 miles, I'll start training on some hills. It seems like that's a good idea.

Rob

Author: JavaRunner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23325 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/13/2013 1:22 PM
I'm a very slow runner, usually around a 12:20 mile.

That's fast to me these days....I'm a 13:30 mile.

Charlie

Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23326 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/13/2013 5:40 PM
Good luck to your son. Shamrock is a fast course and usually cool late winter/early spring weather, so a good chance for a Boston-Qualifier.

if he's looking for some good carbo-loading in Norfolk/VA Beach I recommend Fellini's on Colley Ave (Norfolk) or Mannino's on Pleasure House Road :)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23327 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 5:10 AM
I'm doing the Hal Higdon novice training plan for half marathons in preparation for this May's Flying Pig in Cincinnati.

Today, I ran 6 miles for the first time.

For the very first time? Hal Higdon has a lot to answer for.

Maybe I'm too conservative or too much of a plodder but, IIRC, I fancy I ran my first bone fide half marathon (race) close to 20 years after my gym teacher decided that I was a "distance" runner. FWIW, This was back in the day when we all ran to school uphill BOTH way, into the wind, through waist deep snow, satchels on our back and no shoes (those of us who were really poor had no feet.....we had to roll ;) ) With all that conditioning etc. I gifted myself with an ischaemic colitis.

I'm not suggesting you avoid disappointment by aiming too low but, still.....what do you manage to hack on your 10K or 10 mile-ers(races and not "runs", mind)

Vivienne

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23328 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 12:24 PM
Recommendations: 5
I'm not suggesting you avoid disappointment by aiming too low but, still.....what do you manage to hack on your 10K or 10 mile-ers(races and not "runs", mind) -- Vivienne

My only running race was a 5K after last year's Flying Pig at a 12:42 pace.

My sole target right now is the half at the Flying Pig. While I may do other distances in races at some point in the future, that's not what I'm training for now.

Last year, I walked the half marathon at the Flying Pig, after training for months to build up my stamina for it post-kidney cancer surgery. I was, of course, very slow and finished in about 3:20 or so.

My aim is to beat that by a substantial amount this year.

Although I've only reached the 6 mile run mark so far, I hope/expect to reach 13 miles in training well before the race in May and should be in decent shape (by my standards) to be able to keep it up in race conditions (although I may walk "the big hill"....we'll see).

My goal, whether I achieve it or not, is to finish with a time of 2:45.... a pokey 12:36 pace. But I will finish, unless I have to be carried away. I won't do anything epic by runner standards, but it should be a substantial improvement for me!

After that, we'll see. I'll probably focus on races near my home in Charlotte. Anything up to half marathon.

Side benefits:

* Between surgery, my earlier walking program, running... and now my Paleo diet, I've lost 36 pounds.
* Goal: Lose maybe another 32 pounds, which will put me about 5 pounds over my post-college weight from 38 years ago.

Disappointment? Not happening as long as I stay healthy.... and I'm trying to be careful to not hurt myself as I build up my stamina.

Rob

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23329 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 1:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
I won't do anything epic by runner standards, but it should be a substantial improvement for me!

That's the only standard you need to measure yourself against!!

However, there's a lot of fun to be had in other distances that are just as worthy a goal

Vivienne

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23330 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 4:43 PM
FWIW, I have a penchant for 4 milers.

I'm sure it's in the archives of this Running Fools board somewhere, but the very first competitive race I did after coming back from 3 years of PF crippledom yeas ago was a flat 4 miler in Valley Stream LI.....coincidentally on the same day as a friend of mine was doing the Lake Placid IronMan. We did the same time on our respective runs.

I'd still like to see a few more 10 milers, mind. I fancy that'd be my distance.

Vivienne

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23331 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 4:53 PM
I think I would also really enjoy a 10 miler. But for me, for now, the half mary (i'm currently calling it the ultra-10k) is my race.
pcwa

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23332 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 5:40 PM
I think I would also really enjoy a 10 miler. But for me, for now, the half mary (i'm currently calling it the ultra-10k) is my race.

I hear you.....but it's that last 3 miles that kills me (or, more specifically, my colon!)

I fancy I've asked this before but.....weren't 10 milers a bit more popular years ago?? I'm sure there were more 10 milers around when I was young. Come to that.....was I ever young??

Author: pcwa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23333 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/14/2013 10:32 PM
I think we did a "10 mile race" thread about 6-8 months ago and the consensus was that there weren't many but there were some.

i certainly don't remember seeing any here in SoCal.
pcwa

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23335 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/15/2013 4:48 AM
We did the same time on our respective runs.

Ooops, that didn't read right.....make that pace

Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23338 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/15/2013 10:43 AM
It does seem 10 miles was once more popular. There was the Broad Street Run in Philly, the Cherry Blossom 10 in DC, Annapolis 10 miler - those are all still pretty big races.

I was fortunate to run two 10 milers last fall - one on a beautiful fall day at the Yorktown Battlefield and one on the flat streets of VA Beach. It is a very fun distance to race. But now that I think about it, I think those are the only 2 10 milers around here - but there are probably a 10 to a dozen half marathons.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23339 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/15/2013 11:56 AM
weren't 10 milers a bit more popular years ago??

I use this site to find new races.

http://www.roadracerunner.com/

For my state, Texas, in 2013, there are 176 events registered.

When I filter to find just 10-milers, the number of events drops to a mere 2.

I find just 51 10-milers in all 50 states for 2013. That's less than half the number of 10-K races in California alone.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23343 of 23673
Subject: Re: Newbie Progress Date: 1/15/2013 2:34 PM
..But now that I think about it, I think those are the only 2 10 milers around here - but there are probably a 10 to a dozen half marathons....

There you go......you can come across the occasional 10 miler (or duathlon....or a real grocery store....or somone who can do mental arithmetic etc etc) but they've become something of an oddity. It's like they're even rarer than someone who comes last in a race!

I think it's quite strange but I feel better knowing I'm not the only person who remembers that 10 miles was once a bone fide race distance.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement