No. of Recommendations: 0

I am thinking about taking the funds I have now in a non-deductable IRA account and converting them to a Roth IRA account at a different institution. The nice person at Ameritrade said that I would have to deposit the funds from my existing IRA into a new traditional IRA account at Ameritrade - then request to convert them to a Roth. Whew! The mind boggles at the paper work to do that.

So, I have somewhat resolved myself to that, but I am concerned about the mechanics. I've been told that I can either request Ameritrade to have the funds transfered from my old account, which would take weeks, or that I could request my funds by check which I then would have to deposit within 60 days.

My girlfriend understands that if it's not a direct transfer, if I ever receive a check, that I would then have to pay a penalty.

What is the correct gouge? I'd like to make this happen as quickly as possible and the second scenario seems most efficient.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.