Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Durnib Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44390  
Subject: Newer, cleaner, post Date: 6/25/2000 5:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 32
WARNING: VERY LONG POST AHEAD! But it is a good story. Trust me.

At the suggestion of my friend Jedi, here is a post fit for the Fool Family...

Today, June 25th, is my ex's birthday. I'll call her Julia, because she looks like Ms. Roberts. Every year at this time, I write to her, telling her what I've been up to and asking what she has been doing.

Most people think it is pathetic. Actually, I think it is pathetic. We broke up in 1994. And she never writes back. But she is by far the most influential person in my life, except for my parents. So much of who I am, what I do, and where I want to go is because of her. It just doesn't seem right to not try to connect with her.

I don't still love her, not in the way I did anyway. I've been in several relationships since. And I am not looking to date my ex again. I just want an opportunity to thank her for everything she did for me, and to say I am sorry for everything I did to her. So, in a way, my writing to her is my penance.

Well, here is the story of my best date, which was with her. It occurs in the spring of 1993. I was a junior in college, she a sophomore....

We started dating in February of that year. And as summer was fast approaching, and I realized I wouldn't really see her during the summer, I wanted to do something special before school let out. We compared exam schedules, and we decided to put Saturday, May 8th aside to spend together. May 6th would have been our 3 month anniversary, so it worked out well.

I called her the morning of the 8th, and told her we had dinner reservations and that I had borrowed a friend's car. I would pick her up at 6:00, and she should wear something nice.

At 6:00pm, I went to her door, and she opened it wearing a stunning white and yellow sun dress. I gave her a dozen white carnations, her favorite flowers, and suggested we go for a short walk around campus, as it was really nice outside and we had some time before dinner.

Our dorms were at the far corner of campus, so we starting walking toward the center, admiring the flowers and the students playing frisbee, studying, and just hanging out in the sun. Next to the campus center is the Chapel. And frequently during the spring, alumni return to get married there. Especially on Saturdays.

As we approached the Chapel, we did, in fact, see a limo parked outside, with a chauffeur leaning against the car. Julia smiled and said "Hey, look Brian. Someone must be getting married!"

"Yea. Hey, watch this" I said as I walked over to the chauffeur.

"Hello, I'm Mr. Durnik (not my real name, of course)."

"Why, hello Mr. Durnik. Allow me." And he opened the door for Julia and myself. She didn't know what the heck was going on, but I winked at her and told her to just get in.

The limo took off, to where Julia had no clue. Finally, after about 20 min., it stopped and the driver let us out in front of a restaurant on the edge of town. We walked in to beautiful music played by the pianist, as well as Julia's roommate leaving the restaurant. (I knew she was going to be there, and thought it would be nice for Julia to be able to tell her friend what was going on. She loved it.)

We sat down to a lovely dinner. Everything made to order. When we finished, I told her we still had my friend's car for the evening, so why don't we take the limo back, we can get changed, and we will go into town for some desert. (She loved frozen yogurt.)

We took the limo back, I paid the driver, and I told Julia to meet me in the parking lot in 30 minutes. I went upstairs, changed, and went down. By now it was about 8:00pm, and it had gotten dark. Julia came out, and we started walking toward the car.

Suddenly, a pair of headlights came on and started coming toward us. "What's that?" I asked.

It turned out to be the limo driver. Julia looked at me, quizzingly, and I explained that when I got the limo I got a block of time, and we still had some left, so why not take the limo for some yogurt? She just smiled up at me, and off we went.

Everyone was staring at us as we got out, and we loved every minute of it. We sat there, enjoying our yogurt, me pistachio, her chocolate-strawberry swirl. Eventually, it was time to leave. But first, I said to her "Let me go settle with the driver, then we can figure out what to do." So I walked out to talk to the chauffeur.

I came back into the place, and told her that we actually still had about 30 minutes left, so he said he could just drive us around if we wanted. She gave me a big smile and a nod of her head, and with that, we left the yogurt place to additional stares, climbed back into our limo, and drove off.

I told the driver to just go wherever he wanted, but not to stray to far from campus. He said "Ok" and he put the divider up between us.

About 30 minutes later, the limo stopped, and I told Julia we had to get out. The door opened, Julia stepped out, and was greeted by the garden entrance of the Trumbull Marriot Hotel.

"Where are we?" she asked. I figured it was obvious, but I told her the Trumbull Marriot.

"What is going on?" I told her to just follow me.

We walked into the hotel, into the lobby, past the front desk, and down the hall.

"Brian!! We're going to get in trouble!"

"Just trust me."

We walked on down the hall, stopped at a door, I pulled a key from my pocket, and opened the door.

Now, inside there were two dozen carnations, twelve white and twelve red A table set up with two bottles of wine, one white and one red, and some breadsticks. A TV and VCR with Cinderella and Pretty Woman. A box from Victoria's Secret with some silk pajamas in there for her. A bag of personal belongings put together by her roommate. Julia had always told me "The way to my heart is through Godiva chocolates," so there was a large box of Godiva chocolates on the bed.

Julia was a huge Ansel Adams fan. You know, the black and white nature photography? She always told me about this one picture called Oak Tree, Snowstorm which was her favorite, but I had never seen it.

As she walked into the room, unable to comprehend everything that was before her, she looked up on the wall at a picture hanging there.

"Brian! That's it! That's the Ansel Adams picture!"

"What are you talking about? What picture?"

"The one I keep telling you about!! The Oak Tree one. That's it, over on the wall!"

I replied simply "Happy Anniversary."

After a long hug and a few kisses, I walked downstairs to FINALLY pay the driver, as she used the time to call all her friends, who knew everything about it of course.

I returned to the room, and we sat at the table, drinking wine, and staring into each other's eyes.

As long as I live, I swear to all of you, I will always remember that look on her face. I was saying something to her, probably some dumb joke, and I don't think she heard a word. She just looked at me, with a little smile, as if to say "I can't believe you did this."

We finished our drinks, changed, got into bed, and we watched Cinderella. We went to bed, innocently, awoke the next morning and returned to campus to resume studying for finals.

Well, that's it. That's my story of my best date. Told you it was long. But it is a good story, don't you think? I hope you were able to read it all, and that you enjoyed it. I certainly enjoy telling it.

Have a great day. I've got to get to writing that letter to Julia.

-b
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement