Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WBuffet One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 483  
Subject: News Date: 7/1/1998 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here's some news that should give everyone a good buying opportunity:

http://quote.fool.com/news/News.asp?sid=182b1278&o=AND&k=barr&d=w&v=0&p=0&l=182b1278&st=t&lc=0&td=barr

WBuffet
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RobDeFool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 444 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/1/1998 9:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<Here's some news that should give everyone a good buying opportunity:>>

Not funny. We are in big trouble tomorrow. This stock has been dropping with consistently good earnings reports, and beating estimates. Either that was all because people knew this was coming, and it is already factored into the price, or tomorrow morning is going to be very bloody. Almost no point trying to sell some now, it will probably start off tomorrow morning about $1 to $2 lower. Note that NASDAQ halted trading in BARR at about 4:15 p.m., the announcement was made at 4:19 p.m., and NASDAQ resumed trading after 5 p.m. (whatever it means to resume after the bell . . .) This means to me that either BARR told NASDAQ that they anticipated an imbalance due to the upcoming report, or somebody knew there was going to be an imbalance. Sparky, where are you, and what is going on with this halting and resumption of trading?

RobDeFool

Author: Dax One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/1/1998 10:22 PM
Does anyone else on this board get the felling that they are standing on a street corner holding a bag? And, there are sirens in the background.

It's not that I am apposed to averaging down, it's just that it is not always an available option.

Dax

Author: barrnone One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 446 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/1/1998 11:12 PM
I'm still here and caught with my pants down. I feel a bit betrayed having owned this one a long time and waiting for my ship. Oh well. Since I have enough shares I will do the following. I have a target for the opening. If below, I will look for a bottom in coming days and buy. If above, I will sell 1/2 position and buy back lower. If it continues higher after the open, I will count my blessings and figuer most is already factored in. I really believe there will be an overkill with momentum players getting out together with those frustrated with the co. I agree, selling at the open is not the right thing to do. Typically, a stock opens lower, then up. Especially since rev's were not lost, but merely postponed for Q3, Q4.
Very disappointed. Glad I own ORBI, DH, HBOC, ETH, URGI, and others. This is my only loser. Guess I wil be a longer term investor in this one.

Sparky

Author: WBuffet One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 447 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/2/1998 1:52 PM
<<Here's some news that should give everyone a good buying opportunity:>>

Not funny. We are in big trouble tomorrow>>>>

Sorry, a little gallows humor, especially considering, as others have said, there was really no way to get out before getting run over by the Mack truck coming our way. I'll average down when I think I see a bottom and when this stock gets back to my cost basis I'm out. I've always had a nagging feeling about BARR, its technology's place in the grand scheme and its ability to woo investors as a company with solid accelerating earnings. A lesson learned I guess.

WBuffet

Author: AggieEE Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 448 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/5/1998 4:42 PM
Well I haven't written in a while so I guess I'll chime in here.

Let me first start out by saying that I am glad I got most of my money out at 12. I still do have a small posistion. What I'm coming to realize more and more is that this companies revenue stream is more dependent on the gov't than I first thought. I hate that. I work for Lockheed so I know how the gov't can delay, postpone, etc. This really kills the small companies. I think BARR has a good product that is the best value. I'm just starting to wonder whether the gov't will give the bucks needed for BARR to keep growing.

<<Off Topic>>
For anybody who really cares. I've decided to go back and get my MBA in Finance and Management. The more I worked as an engineer the more I realized I would be pigeon holed and the more I realized I don't want to be a techie all of my life. So in the fall I'm going to work a 20 hour week at Lockheed and get my MBA in 2.5 years from the University of North Texas. I really enjoy finance and find that I spend the majority of my spare time doing things such as this so I'm going to take everyone's advice and get into a career that I will throughly enjoy. Sorry for the rambling I just thought some of you would like to know.

Author: BigBriTheACGuy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 449 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/6/1998 6:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that no one really cares.

Have a great day anyway!

Author: RobDeFool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 451 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/6/1998 9:34 PM
BIGBRI,

Please keep your mean spirited comments to yourself. This is a friendly board.

Hi Aggie,

<<For anybody who really cares.>>

I care!

<<I really enjoy finance and find that I spend the majority of my spare time doing things such as this so I'm going to take everyone's advice and get into a career that I will throughly enjoy.>>

We've only got one short life, and it would be a shame not to do what we enjoy. Good luck with the MBA, and I'm sure the combination of Electrical Engineering and and MBA will make you invaluable to any company. You may find yourself the CEO of Lockheed one day!

RobDeFool

Author: WBuffet One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 452 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/7/1998 12:08 AM
<<Please keep your mean spirited comments to yourself. This is a friendly board.>>

Concur!! Perhaps a little of the sage advice from the Yahoo board is drifting our way. Best of luck AggiEE.

WBuffet

Author: barrnone One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 453 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/7/1998 12:58 AM
Just got back from a 4 day trip to San Jose. Before leaving I swapped all shares of BARR @ 7.5 for shares of DELL, CSCO, and HBOC. I have seen this before, and since I see a major rally coming, I did not want my money sitting still. So far, I have made back all but a few. I probably will not buy back in.

Sparky

Author: WBuffet One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 455 of 483
Subject: Re: News Date: 7/7/1998 8:57 PM
Nice move today on this news:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/980707/barringer__1.html

Anyone figured out what it'll mean for the share price.

WBuffet

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement