UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: anagy1517 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: NextCard/Aggravation Date: 5/27/2001 12:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The following happened to me in the past month:

1. I have an account with NextCard. It has a really nice interest rate of prime plus .49%, which, as the Fed lowers the prime rate, goes down. I think it's at 7.49% now. My balance is about $3.7K.

2. I closed two other credit card accounts that I wasn't using, probably about $12K worth of credit. I didn't want all that unused credit lying around.

3. I borrowed $3K on my NextCard account. (Not something I normally do!)

4. Got a letter from NextCard informing me that they wanted to raise my interest rate to 12.99%. I sent them a letter asking why, and they sent me back a canned answer listing four reasons. The reason that seemed to matter was high amount-borrowed-to-credit ratio. I think I had increased this number by lowering my available credit and borrowing.

5. I got a free copy of my credit report from Transunion. It correctly reported that I was current on everything and had no late payments at all. Nothing unusual.

So: what to do? Any ideas? Especially, if I close the account before the new rate kicks in, does the old rate stay in place, or can NextCard change the terms even after the account is closed? I'd be grateful for any feedback.

ATN
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement